Options

Mock the Week

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this show never fails to make me laugh almost constantly

fantastic comedians and funny concepts for rounds make this one of the funniest things around
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    who is that bloke who was sat in the middle of andy and russell, evertime he tried to tell a joke he would tell it to the audience and not the rest of the comics as if he wanted reassurance!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    who is that bloke who was sat in the middle of andy and russell, evertime he tried to tell a joke he would tell it to the audience and not the rest of the comics as if he wanted reassurance!!

That would be Mark Watson.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dara was a team captain in "Don't Feed The Gondolas" broadcast by RTE and seen in the UK on Tara.

Excellent programme, IMHO
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this show never fails to make me laugh almost constantly

fantastic comedians and funny concepts for rounds make this one of the funniest things around

I agree :) I wouldnt know how similar it is to Who's Line is it Anyway as I never really used to watch that...
  • Options
    Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best comedy programme around after HIGNFY. Andy Parsons cracks me up.

Favourite line of last series was by Hugh I think: "Now on BBC One, Songs of Praise. This programme contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature".

Genius. :D
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs chestfield's favourite panelist is Jo Brand; personally I prefer Andy Parsons and Frankie Boyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ant L wrote:
    Favourite line of last series was by Hugh I think: "Now on BBC One, Songs of Praise. This programme contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature".

Genius. :D

From the same episode: "Remember BBC News24 goes through the night.....as do I" :D
  • Options
    ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then there's that blond haired bloke who sits on the right, but ironically seems to spend most of his time trying to create "politically correct" comments that go counter to the ones that people would actually laugh at.
  • Options
    ember1ember1 Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh's not very comfortable with the spontaneous part, but he comes up with some crackers in those rounds where the celebs have been given time to think up some lines ("What you shouldn't say as the new captain of a plane" etc.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ember1 wrote:
    Then there's that blond haired bloke who sits on the right, but ironically seems to spend most of his time trying to create "politically correct" comments that go counter to the ones that people would actually laugh at.
    Is that Russell Howard? He is quite funny but he tends to butt in and interupt others - tries to hog it a bit much.
    ember1 wrote:
    Hugh's not very comfortable with the spontaneous part, but he comes up with some crackers in those rounds where the celebs have been given time to think up some lines ("What you shouldn't say as the new captain of a plane" etc.)
    I think he's the best at this part....well him and Frankie.
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    chestfield wrote:
    mrs chestfield's favourite panelist is Jo Brand; personally I prefer Andy Parsons and Frankie Boyle.

Am I the only one who thinks Frankie Boyle sometimes goes a "bit too far" with his jokes?

I prefer Andy parsons & Hugh myself.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks Frankie Boyle sometimes goes a "bit too far" with his jokes?

I prefer Andy parsons & Hugh myself.
    Are you trying to claim that Hugh's line last week about the Queen's haunted p***y didn't go too far?!?!?!?!?

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote:
    Are you trying to claim that Hugh's line last week about the Queen's haunted p***y didn't go too far?!?!?!?!?

K
    It was Frankie that said that wasn't it?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Frankie that said that wasn't it?
    Damn. Just deleted it off the Toppy! Quite prepared to put that down to bad memory (getting old) if someone knows for sure...

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote:
    Damn. Just deleted it off the Toppy! Quite prepared to put that down to bad memory (getting old) if someone knows for sure...
    K
    That was definitely a Frankie line.
    No, he does go "too far" sometimes. As much as I like him, I do occasional find myself laughing more in a "I can't believe he said that" way. I like him on this but I don't think I could go and see him live. Hugh and Andy are more my cup of tea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    No, he does go "too far" sometimes. As much as I like him, I do occasional find myself laughing more in a "I can't believe he said that" way.
    Same here. I can't remember who but I remember hearing a comedian say for him the best reaction from an audience was the second of shock followed by a huge laugh.
    I like him on this but I don't think I could go and see him live. Hugh and Andy are more my cup of tea.
    Ah, we differ there, I'd love to see him live. I'd be happy to see Hugh and Andy too though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by Claires_dad

yes he does but in a good still funny way i watch load sof old ones on youtube and here is a classic from frnakie
    exam questions that were rejected
    " all pe teachers are paedophiles discuss "
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I love all the performers, but I'm not keen on Russell Howard (the youngish blond guy).

I don't think his jokes are that strong, but more importantly I don't think his 'persona' is very well defined. He just comes across as a bit of a normal bloke trying to do "a bit of this and a bit of that" and it can seem a little phoney and desperate at times, whereas the other comedians have strong, clearly-defined styles, so you feel you know where you are with them.

I also don't think his level of 'dirty old man' lewdness ties in with his 'fresh-faced' image.

Is it just me?

Mark Watson, on the other hand, is a good example of someone with a strong and clearly-defined style (child-like curiosity) which really endears him with the audience and allows us to forgive even his weakest jokes. He also keeps it very clean, which ties in well with his naive personality style.

Dara O'Briain I find funny, but I don't like his Saddam jokes. Probably not just him; I've noticed a few people mocking Saddam's death. It feels too near for me to be ridiculing someone who was recently executed. I generally think there is nothing you can't make fun out of, but I would say the very recently deceased is an exception. At least give it a few months.
  • Options
    Mel GMel G Posts: 5,254
    Forum Member
    If you get the chance to see Dara do his stuff live, then take it. I saw him a few months ago and he was brilliant - didn't know what to expect as just tagged along with a friend who's a fan, but would go again like a shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love all the performers, but I'm not keen on Russell Howard (the youngish blond guy).
    I just wish he stop talking over the others. I think he's an example of someone who's not as funny as he thinks he is (well that's just my opinion obviously) ;)

Mark Watson, on the other hand, is a good example of someone with a strong and clearly-defined style (child-like curiosity) which really endears him with the audience and allows us to forgive even his weakest jokes. He also keeps it very clean, which ties in well with his naive personality style.
    Yes, he has a sort of "innocence" about him which fits his persona perfectly. I loved his comments last week about Tom Cruise and "Mission Quite Tricky".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone see last night's episode? I didn't enjoy it as much as normal. Russell Howard needs to be gagged so the others can get a word in.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was better than last week's. Fred MacAulay was quite funny; Shappi Khorsandi wasn't exactly on the same wavelength as the others but she could turn into a good panellist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote:
    Thought it was better than last week's. Fred MacAulay was quite funny; Shappi Khorsandi wasn't exactly on the same wavelength as the others but she could turn into a good panellist.

Yes Fred was good. I'd never heard of Shappi but I quite liked her - I liked her comment about the Iranian President "he's not my dad" :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Even when not at it's best still way better than nearly any other show. Frankie, Andy and Dara absolute quality. :D