Your Favourite Coronation Street Character EVER- The Results!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loreal_q wrote: »
    Ah I love Karen and Leanne so I'm glad they're high up :)

Me too, two of my favourite female characters in recent years.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    24. Annie Walker
    10.60% (Top 32)

At 24th is legendary rovers landlady Annie Walker. Many people think she deserved to make the top 16, and I agree but I’m happy she made it this high considering she hasn’t appeared since the early 80s. Annie had a high level of dignity and was considered a higher class then the rest of the street, I thought she was an amazing character and in my opinion the best landlady rovers has ever seen!

23. Ken Barlow
    10.81% (Top 32)

At 23 is long standing character Ken Barlow! With 51 years on the show, Ken is not only the longest standing corrie character but the longest standing character in any UK soap. In these 51 years we have seen the street and characters change around Ken, with many different wives and girlfriends. I think Ken is around the same place, he is definitely an iconic figure of corrie but I think there have been better characters who haven’t stayed as long.

22. Richard Hillman
    11.25% (Top 32)

Next up is legendary villain Richard Hillman. After starting a relationship with Gail Platt, it soon became clear to the viewers what Richard was really like. Richard killed 2 people and even attempted to kill Emily Bishop :eek: and after confessing all to Gail he attempted to kill himself, Gail and David and Sarah Lou by driving in a canal. Only Richard died, but he is still remembered as probably the scariest villain ever in corrie.

21. Sally Webster
    11.28% (Top 32)

Just outside the top 20 is Sally Webster. When Kevin splashed her with her car then offered her to come to his house and change, Sally immediately fell for him and soon they married. There marriage was happy and they soon had two daughters named Rosie and Sophie, however Natalie Horrocks came in and had an affair with Kevin, and therefore ending the marriage in divorce. However they later remarried for the sake of there children, but recently this has been repeated as Kevin has had a further affair that even included a baby, Kevin and Sally are now going through a divorce- but could they get back together?

20. Raquel Watts
    12.20% (Top 32)

In 20th place is ditzy but loveable barmaid, Raquel Watts. Raquel was not the cleverest person, but she meant well and was loved by the public. After getting her heart ripped out by Des Barnes, Raquel fell for Curly who was somewhat nicer then Des and they married until she left Weatherfield in 1996. Raquel is still remember to this day as a legendary barmaid, she was sweet but at the same time tragic.

19. Carla Connor
    12.67% (Top 32)

One of the more recent characters in the top 20 is business women Carla Connor. Carla joined the street married to Paul Connor, Paul died but Carla developed feelings for his brother Liam despite him being in a relationship with Maria Sutherland. Despite this Carla got engaged to Tony Gordon, who became increasingly jealous of Liam and arranged to get him killed. Carla married Tony but soon found out his true colours and divorced him, this led to Tony keeping Carla and many others hostage in underworld before dying himself. Carla survived the hostage, and is currently succesfully running underworld- but will that all change?

18. Peter Barlow
    12.79% (Top 32)

At 18th is Peter Barlow, son of Ken Barlow. Peter didn't have many storylines until 2000, where he became a character in the front of the show and had storylines including a bigamous marriage to both Shelley Unwin and Lucy Richards. He later returned in 2008 after Lucy died and left Peter with his son Simon, Peter had very bad alcoholism and it was hard to get through but with the help of friends and family he got through it. Recently after almost dying in the tram crash, Peter has got married too Leanne Barlow- which almost ended after she had an affair with Nick Tilsley but they have got over it and are now happily married.

17. Hayley Cropper
    13.00% (Top 32)

Just one place outside the top 16 is wife of Roy Cropper, Hayley Cropper. Originally introduced as a friend of Alma Halliwell, she became a love interest for Roy Cropper and the two started dating. The public were shocked when Hayley revealed she was actually a man and was a transexual, however this did not effect Roy and he stayed together with Hayley. Hayley had a sex change, and is current living a happy life with Roy who she owns the cafe with, and they recently got married in 2010.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thank you. I asked about this because I had been away and was told that you had been away, too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard, Peter and Carla are two of my favourtie current characters so I'm pleased to see them so high up. I too was surprised Annie Walker didn't make the top 16 due to her legendary status but personally I have no memories of her as she left before I was even born.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16. Steve McDonald
    4.58% (Top 16)

At the bottom of the top 16 but still holding up a great ranking is rovers barmaid Steve McDonald. Originally appearing as a tearaway teenager along with his brother Andy, Steve mellowed slightly as he grew up and became a respectable man. However that hasn't stopped him being unlucky in love, both his 2 wives have not been able to have children and the only time he has had a child has been the result of an affair with toxic Tracy. With his first marriage to Karen McDonald ending and his marriage with Becky set to ruins, what is next for Steve McDonald?

15. Audrey Roberts
    4.88% (Top 16)

Next up is a personal favourite of mine, Audrey Roberts. Audrey moved into the street when she married Alf Roberts, this also meant she was closer to her daughter Gail. Audrey suffered tragedy when Alf died of a heart attack just 4 years after they married, and also in 2001 when good friend Alma Halliwell died of cervical cancer. I really like the character of Audrey, she's kind and good spirited but she's not boring at all and has had her fair share of storylines, I also think Sue Nicholls is a wonderful and underrated actress. Audrey's not really considered a legend so I'm happy she ranked this high.

14. Deirdre Barlow
    5.36% (Top 16)

Next up is the chain smoking wife of Ken Barlow, Deirdre Barlow. In her time in Weatherfield, Deirdre has had lots of big storylines including a string of lovers, a troublesome daughter, being wrongly sent to prison and an on-off marriage to Ken involving numerous affairs. Despite this, I think we all love Deirdre for the comedy side of the character- whether it's laughing at her or with her! Anne Kirkbride has brilliant comic timing, and I'd say Deirdre would probably make my top 5 corrie characters ever so I'm happy she ranked this high!

13. Ena Sharples
    5.48% (Top 16)

Coming in at 13th is legendary hairnet wearing battle-axe, and original character Ena Sharples. I think for lots of people when somebody says 'Corrie Legend' Ena will come to mind. Despite having not appeared since 1980 this poll has proved that Ena is still very much in people's minds. Gossiper Ena was always a popular character on the street and some of her highlights include her famous catfight with Elsie Tanner, gossiping with fellow widowers Martha Longhurst and Minnie Caldwell and generally being outspoken and tough. Some people would have maybe like to see her a big higher but I think everyone agrees its great too see her this high.

12. Roy Cropper
    5.57% (Top 16)

Next up is legendary cafe owner Roy Cropper. I like Roy but I wouldn't put him this high in this list, but I still see the appeal and I'm not suprised as he is very popular. Oddball Roy was not given any storylines till 1997, where he met the love of his life who came in the form of transexual Hayley Patterson. Since then Roy has been happy with Hayley, however he's still had his hardship along with every other resident of Weatherfield. An example of this is his drink being spiked by superbitch Tracy Barlow, leading him to believe he'd slept with her. However like his wife Hayley, he is good natured and has had a special bond with some of the more troublesome people on the street- including Becky & Fiz.

11. Fred Elliot
    5.64% (Top 16)

One place outside the top 10 is comedy legend Fred Elliot. Master butcher Fred was always popular with the viewers and I'm actually quite suprised he didn't make the top 10. Fred had some comical mannerism including repeating himself, and his last lines were too love interest Audrey Roberts 'Be Happy, I say be happy.' Fred found out that Ashley Peacock was his son whilst living on the street, and they went on too have a strong bond until Fred died of a heart attack in 2006. Fred is still remembered as a corrie legend and is worthy of his place.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this NiallDEE, I can see there's a lot of hard work went into it. Very much appreciated :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Thanks for this NiallDEE, I can see there's a lot of hard work went into it. Very much appreciated :)

Thank you, always nice to get appreciation :)

So the 10 characters in the final round still remain:

Bet Lynch
    Betty Williams
    Blanche Hunt
    Eileen Grimshaw
    Elsie Tanner
    Hilda Ogden
    Jack Duckworth
    Norris Cole
    Rita Sullivan
    Vera Duckworth

I do not have time to do the top 10 tonight, but they will at least be started tommorow and hopefully finished

Stay Tuned :)
  • PacinoFanPacinoFan Posts: 3,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exciting and thank you for doing this. My money is on Blanche being number one. My top three are:

1 Blanche
    2 Bet
    3 Hilda
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for doing this OP - looking forward to the last leg!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10. Bet Lynch
    8.56% (Final Round)

Voted your 10th favourite coronation street character ever, is legendary barmaid and landlady Bet Lynch. Famous for her beehive hairstyles, leopard print clothes and a fiest attitude, Bet is considered a legend and it's hardly a suprise she made the top 10. Bet was never far from men in her life and quite a few lovers in her 25 years in Weatherfield, a key relationship off hers was with Alec Gilroy who she married in 1987. Her and Alec were an odd couple as they were quite different and they often argued, there marriage ended in 1992 after Alec left Weatherfield and Bet refused to go with him. Having originally appeared in 1966 as a factory worker, Bet reappeared in 1970 where she started working at the rovers and became more of a mainstream character. Starting off as a junior barmaid, Bet worked at the rovers for the coming 25 years and eventually became landlady and a legendary figure of the rovers, I think it's fair to say that Bet is an iconic corrie character. She left sensationally in 1995 in an iconic exit, but made brief appearances in the noughties. As all of the top 10, I think Bet is a fantastic character and I'm glad she made it this high, I put her 4th in my final vote but 10th out of all the characters in the top 50 is a massive achievement. In the top 16 (round where the top 10 percentages and placings were not revealed) Bet also came in 10th place and recieved 5.90% of the vote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9. Betty Williams
    8.61% (Final Round)

In 9th place is another rovers legend in the form of 91 year old Betty Williams. First appearing to work in the rovers in 1969, Betty has stayed there and the rovers has become somewhat of a second home to her. She became good friends with other iconic barmaid Bet Lynch and legendary landlady Annie Walker. Originally married to Cyril Turpin, he tragically died of a heart attack in 1972 and Betty was left alone, she later found love with Billy Williams in 1995 but exactly like Cyril he too died of a heart attack in 1997, Betty has also been reunited with an estranged son named Gordon Clegg, who has made many one off appearances most notably in 2004. These days Betty lives alone outside of Weatherfield and is less active due to the actresses old age, however I still think it's astonishing that Betty Driver still continues to act at her age and I think Betty is still a fantastic character, it's great that we still have part of the original rovers dream team and Betty makes every scene she's in so much better, I ranked Betty 8th in my final vote. In the top 16, Betty came 8th with a percentage of 6.28%
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet and Betty out already, killing me. Please don't say Elsie's next up, that'd be my whole top three gone :(

Blanche and Vera will be the finalists, maybe Jack will be close though, riding on the recent surge in popularity following his exit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8. Norris Cole
    8.96% (Final Round)

In 8th place is Kabin worker and comedy legend Norris Cole. Originally appearing in 1994 as somewhat of a rival to Derek Wilton, he reappeared in 1999 when he started lodging with Emily Bishop and started working at the Kabin alongside Rita Sullivan and Emily Bishop. Norris started to become one of the more unlikely but bigger gossipers of Weatherfield, usually found to be quite irritating and always sticking his nose in by other people of Weatherfield, Norris is still loved by the public and becomes the 2nd highest rated male character on this poll (Jack being the highest.) Being the first of the 3 current characters to appear in the top 10, Norris is one of my favourites of the current cast and I love his interaction with Emily and Rita, especially his love hate relationship with Rita. Recently Norris has become the manager of The Kabin and been victim of an obsession by oddball but hilarious Mary Taylor. I ranked Norris 9th in my final vote, in the top 16 he came 9th with a percentage of 5.98%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been a huge fan of Norris, that said you couldn't find a more gifted comedic actor than Malcolm Hebden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7. Eileen Grimshaw
    9.25% (Final Round)

In 7th place and the newest of the top 10 is tough as nails single mum Eileen Grimshaw. First appearing in 2000 when she got a job at streetcars, Eileen has since became very popular with the viewers for her feisty attitude and comedic traits. She had two sons called Jason and Todd, Jason was a ladies man but Todd shocked the nation when he came out as gay despite getting Sarah Louise Platt pregnant, she was very accepting of his sexuality and has struck a friendship with other gay street member Sean Tully, who lodges at her house. Eileen has become known for doing her best for her children and despite putting on quite a hard personality in front of people, deep down she is a very good and caring person. I really like the character of Eileen, personally I wouldn't put her in my top 10 but I definetly see the appeal of her and she the definetly one of the best current characters, I put her 10th in my final vote. In the top 16 Eileen also came 7th with a percentage of 6.31%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6. Jack Duckworth
    9.50% (Final Round)

In 6th place and highest rated male is one half of the supercouple the Duckworths, Jack Duckworth. Jack is remembered for being a excellent comedy character, but also for his love of Vera and more emotional scenes. Originally appearing in 1979, Jack became a regular character in the early 80s. Jack and Vera were obviously in love, but Vera often got annoyed due to Jack's 'Jack-the lad' ways and frequently argued, they found it hard to control there son Terry who was a criminal and a 'wrong-un' who's actions even involved selling his own son- a step too far for Jack who disowned his son. One of Jack's finest moments was when he joined a video dating agency, pretending he was called Vince St. Clair and that he was american. Vera saw the video and was furious, she arranged a date with 'Vince' claiming she was somebody else leading to a hilarious showdown in the rovers. In Jack's later years him and Vera formed a strong bond with Tyrone Dobbs, Jack lost Vera in 2008 and in 2010 peacefully passed away after one last scene with the ghost of Vera. I ranked Jack 7th in my final vote, and he came 4th in the top 16 with a percentage of 6.66%,3 places higher than his overall rank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That means we have an all female top 5 consisting of:

Blanche Hunt
    Elsie Tanner
    Hilda Ogden
    Rita Sullivan
    Vera Duckworth

stay tuned for the results of the top 5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    That means we have an all female top 5 consisting of:

Blanche Hunt
    Elsie Tanner
    Hilda Ogden
    Rita Sullivan
    Vera Duckworth

stay tuned for the results of the top 5

Go Blanche!

Interesting to see Rita above Eileen and a quite a few current cast members ahead of Carla considering they made up the top two of the recent current cast vote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5. Hilda Ogden
    9.55% (Final Round)

In 5th place is my favourite ever Coronation Street character, the iconic Hilda Ogden. Although they had there ups and downs, Hilda was happily married to Stan and the rovers cleaner was considered a legend by viewers. With her 3 rollers of different colours and head scarf, Hilda had some amazing comedy moments in her time in corrie and had great chemistry with Stan. Hilda's highlights include gossiping with other members of the street and her famous 'Muriel' that lodger Eddie Yeats bought for her, and going to a hotel with Stan and uttering the famous lines 'Women Stanley, Women.' Hilda suffered heartbreak after her beloved Stan died in 1984 and Hilda took in Sally and Kevin Webster as lodgers, after finding life hard without Stan Hilda decided to leave the street in 1987, however being the great character she was there couldn't be a boring ending- and the Weatherfield residents gave Hilda a great send off in a feel good episode of the soap in christmas 1987. Hilda is my favourite character ever, mostly due to the comedy moments but also there were some beautiful scenes- including her breaking down after Stan's funeral. I ranked Hilda 1st in my final vote but I'm happy she got this high as she hasn't appeared in over 20 years now, Hilda came 3rd in the top 16 with a percentage of 7.07%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fantastic to see Rita as the top current character :) Who doesn't love Rita?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whu13 wrote: »
    Go Blanche!

Interesting to see Rita above Eileen and a quite a few current cast members ahead of Carla considering they made up the top two of the recent current cast vote.

I did expect Carla to do better actually, maybe it's because in these rounds people would vote more to do with legend status and Carla, though she is a great character has only been in corrie for about 4 years. I would have probably put her a bit lower down in this competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Hilda. I would have probably put her in the same position. Had this poll been done ten years ago, she'd have won hands down. Just like in ten years time I reckon a Blanche victory won't be so overwhelming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4. Elsie Tanner
    9.84% (Final Round)

In 4th place is a Corrie legend, no other then feisty red haired Elsie Tanner. I love the character Elsie and I'm glad she got this high, but I'm completely suprised seeing as I thought she would have been forgotten by or unheard of by some voters. Elsie is the only character to have appeared in the first episode in 1960, she lived with her children Dennis and Lisa, Dennis was a tearaway and Elsie found it hard to control him. Elsie had many relationships with men in her time in Weatherfield, however they were not usually that succesful. Elsie was always up for an argument, most notably her famous catfight with other original legend Ena Sharples after Ena evicted Elsie from No.11. Elsie left coronation street in 1983, it was recently revealed by her son Dennis Tanner who has returned to Weatherfield, that she had a happy life with old flame Bill Gregory with whom she started a wine bar and were very happy, they died in a car accident and rumour has it they were holding hands. Elsie has always gone down as a corrie legend, I ranked her 3rd in my final vote and I'm thrilled she ranked this high. In the top 16 Elsie came 6th with a percentage of 6.43%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all 3 of the top 3! But I'm still hoping for Blanche to win!

Nothing against the golden oldies Hilda and Elsie but as they're not from my era I feel less affinity with them than the other 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant placing for Elsie. She was never going to win, so fourth is a hundred times more than I expected! :)

I'm guessing:

3rd - Rita
    2nd - Vera
    1st - Blanche