Is "Baby One More Time" By Britney THE most iconic, best debut ever?

15678911»

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulBowker wrote: »
    Firstly debut clearly means first, everyone who is talking about people's second/third singles being bigger than BOMT don't count.

debut release or debut hit? first release or first hit? two different meanings but both are right.
    Secondly nobody has stated a question asking if its the most iconic EVER. Just whether it is iconic which I'd clearly state that it was. I love the Spears and I do think the song sparked a movement in music but of course no it's not the most iconic song that has ever been released ever.

yeah i see youve realised the header was 'ever'...
    The song was massive, pretty much everybody whether they like it or not would say they know the song, what happens in the video and who sang it. In my opinion it started a whole movement of music especially paving the way for people like NSYNC and BSB and even more so people like Christina and more recently Gaga. I think it opened a new generation up to 'divas' and to have one they love much like Madonna, Celine, Mariah and in turn has made a generation more willing to stan for later artists like Beyonce/Lana Del Ray etc.

We could also argue that obviously Britney's explosion was my generation and how can I compare the iconic status to previous hits which is of course true, I don't remember the Abba, Madonna, Kate Bush debut (in fact I wasn't born yet)

And when we're talking about influence I think the only correct thing to say is that music in general is evolutionary, Gaga was inspired by Britney, Britney was inspired by Madonna, Madonna was inspired by X, X was inspired by Y. If we're going to open it up to inspiration then we' d end up back at cavemen hitting stones against walls and dancing to that.

I also think that BOMT was the start of people making truly great, up to date, mainstream videos which support single sales. I think years down the line people will still know Britney, BOMT and hold it in high regard because IMO it still sounds fresh whereas I probably wouldn't say that Holiday - Madonna and some of the above mentioned songs do (and I know I wouldn't listen to them) And this opinion comes from me working in the early years and seeing that 15ish years down the line BOMT is still on at events and such.

i see others have corrected that perception, it was a big debut hit, but it was one of a string of hits by artists that have been going on since music started. it started nothing, but was a link in the evolution.
    RikScot wrote: »
    Oh...I got it wrong. Thanks for putting me right :rolleyes:

passed me by too ...:o thats the trouble with speed reading/time restrictions.