Good reads for a 6 year old ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudgie wrote: »
    Nooo! Hopefully it found a loving new owner. Either that or the Wookey Hole Witch got him! :eek:

I've no idea. It would upset me even now, I know how utterly miserable my son would be if he lost his tatty old rabbit. He took it to Parents Evening last term, and left it in the classroom. He was in tears all night, and we ended up going to school at eight-thirty next morning to fetch it because my son was convinced that another child would take it home. His teacher had found it, and had even wrapped the scarf my son had also left behind round it to keep it warm. He said it looked "well-loved" which is a good euphemism for "knackered" :D

The way my boy treats it, you'd think it was made of priceless antique lace instead of being mostly Mum's darning!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son was small he never formed attachments to anything; now he's bigger he has a favourite toy of the week that causes constant trauma whenever they get mislaid. Oft-returned to are his 'superbabies' (so-called because they resemble Superbaby on Storymakers) - he ended up with two because I bought one for 'spare', just in case - instead we now have double the worry when they go missing! One once spent a happy couple of hours in a layby near Marlborough before we returned to the correct spot...

Despite this, he still thinks I'm a wuss for sniffling my way through 'Dogger'.

I hope your beloved cuddly dog had a happy ending, even if it wasn't with you!
  • Options
    gogleddgogledd Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gogledd wrote: »
    There's a wonderful brand-new reference book called The Ultimate First Book Guide, it's only just been published... short reviews of more than 500 books recommended for kids from babies up to about 7...

Just bumping this as it was featured on BBC R4's Woman's Hour this morning! :)
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Are the Ponda and William books still going? Used to love those when I was little.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could try some Roald Dahl such as The Twits, Georges Marvellous Medicene or The Enormous Crocodile.

Jacqueline Wilson is good to. She could try Lizzie Zipmouth, Jimmy Jelly or The Dinosoars Packed Lunch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My littley is 6 also. She loves Horrid Henry, Famous Five, Secret 7 and anything by Lauren Child.

How about the "Clarice Bean" series. This is a more grown-up version of Charlie and Lola (by the same author). The Judy Moody ones are similar, but American-ised.

Also as a present at Christmas she got a trilogy of books by Roddy Doyle about a dog with super powers (and featuring poo a LOT) which she finds hysterical!

Any of the "Dirty Bertie" books may go down a treat too.

The series of "Daisy" books (Eat your peas, Really, Really, 006 and a bit) has a new one out. It's a novel and it's called "The trouble with life" and it's a really great read, again involving dodgy stomach products!

All the rude things seem to appeal to her just now. Maybe some of these are worth a try. They are enjoyable to read if you have to when they can't be bothered to themselves:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Magical Far-Away Tree when I was younger, fond memories of reading that late into the night. Also Milly-Molly-Mandy stories, and Mary Poppins (though that might be a bit tough?)
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    I can't face reading that one. I'm getting sniffly just from that line!

It gets worse.

Poor old Mog (who has turned white in this book - i.e. dead) can't understand why this other cat (a new timid kitten the family has got) is using *her* cushion and using *her* bowl. Furthermore, Mog refrains from ascending to cat heaven to see why the new kitten is so timid, and gives her a silent, helping paw.

Once the kitten is fully integrated with the family, Mog can "fly, fly away, right up to the sun".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    It gets worse.

Poor old Mog (who has turned white in this book - i.e. dead) can't understand why this other cat (a new timid kitten the family has got) is using *her* cushion and using *her* bowl. Furthermore, Mog refrains from ascending to cat heaven to see why the new kitten is so timid, and gives her a silent, helping paw.

Once the kitten is fully integrated with the family, Mog can "fly, fly away, right up to the sun".

Nooo!!! I'm welling up now :cry:
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gogledd wrote: »
    There's a wonderful brand-new reference book called The Ultimate First Book Guide, it's only just been published and contains not only short reviews of more than 500 books recommended for kids from babies up to about 7, but also loads of really interesting helpful articles such as how teachers teach your child to read, what to do if your child doesn't like reading, transitional readers, etc etc. It's the latest volume from the team who also produced the original award-winning Ultimate Book Guide (for readers 7-12) and The Ultimate Teen Book Guide (self-explanatory!). They also feature 'if you enjoyed reading this... try this next' -type suggestions aimed at getting children to explore new books and different authors.

They're brilliant resource tools and I can't recommend them highly enough to parents, teachers and librarians! Try looking them up on amazon if your local book store doesn't stock them - and yes, I did contribute to them, but no, I'm not on commission! :D I'm just passionate about encouraging kids to read, and anything that does is fab in my book (pun intended :D:D)

I got both of these books, I have to say I'm impressed.

At the moment it is my daughter who has immersed herself in all things reading, so we have looked at the First Guide and picked some things to look out for. Getting this book has sparked an interest in my son, also 6, and we have done the same thing for him too, he has realised that he can enjoy a different set of books to his sister :).

I am also prepared for the next step now by getting the 7-12 age guide. It has not only opened my eyes to what is available these days, but also reminded me of a lot of the stuff I read when I was younger.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter also loved the fairy books but became fed up as she was reading them within about 3 hours of getting them. She loved Josie Smith (forgotten the author), My naughty little sister, Milly Molly Mandy,Enid Blyton's 5 Findouters and dog Enid Blyton's Amelia Jane and Mrs Pepperpot stories. She likes most books which are part of a series and which involve girls getting into mischief!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Nooo!!! I'm welling up now :cry:
    Me too!!!
    For the same reasons I refuse to have Charlotte's Web (known by my kids as Charlotte's Dead) in the house, I also remember our teacher reading Bambi to us at school, the 2 mini school bullies just sat and howled all the way through!
    Have to agree with all those suggested so far, I loved Milly Molly Mandy books when I was that age, what about the Just William stories if she's a bit of a Tomboy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathh70 wrote: »
    I got both of these books, I have to say I'm impressed.

At the moment it is my daughter who has immersed herself in all things reading, so we have looked at the First Guide and picked some things to look out for. Getting this book has sparked an interest in my son, also 6, and we have done the same thing for him too, he has realised that he can enjoy a different set of books to his sister :).

I am also prepared for the next step now by getting the 7-12 age guide. It has not only opened my eyes to what is available these days, but also reminded me of a lot of the stuff I read when I was younger.

I'm so glad you like them! I think they're absolutely brilliant as well as being bang up-to-date, the problem with asking, ahem, 'older people' ;) to recommend kids' books is that we all tend to go for the ones WE enjoyed reading when young and aren't necessarily aware of the wonderful newer stuff that's around! They're also a cross-referencer's heaven - I spent a good couple of hours lost in blissful reminiscence when I received my copy of the UFBG!

Hope you and your children enjoy them, and discover loads of exciting new reading matter to explore!

PS: I reviewed Winnie the Pooh, amongst others, if you're interested!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Am I allowed to suggest my boyfriend's book?! It's just been published, and it's a great children's book. It's called The Mousehunter, and it's about a young girl called Emiline who works as a mousekeeper (there are many strange breeds of mice in this story!) who gets swept up into an adventure with the pirate, Mousebeard.

It's really fun, exciting and a really great read for kids.

Sorry if that's shameless plugging, but I'm really proud of it and I want it to be successful! It's by Alex Milway, and he wrote and illustrated it, so there are plenty of lovely pictures inside to look at.

The Mousehunter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there was me keeping quiet about my own books! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I think the Faraway tree books by Enid Blyton would be good for a six year old. Also the Wishing Chair ones.