Remove the word strictly

13»

Comments

• StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    There are now two prime time shows at the weekend which incorporate demonstration dances by professional dancers, unencumbered by their celebrity partners.

Maybe the BBC should broadcast a pilot series of Come Dancing, outwith prime time and see if it can get a reasonable following. They'd still have to have the formation dance round to spark my interest..

That is a great idea. I have such fond memories of watching Come Dancing in black and white as a child. The formation dance round was fantastic! :D
  • don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by franglemand
    Oh, and my assumption is that "Entertainment" is short form for "I like them the best for no quantifiable reason that I can put my finger on" as it's going to be pretty hard to claim that Ann is your favourite because she's the best dancer

I think your assumption is wrong. Instead I would suggest "entertainment" means " a performance that I find amusing and gives me pleasure". That's why I enjoy watching the likes of Ann W. To be honest I couldn't care a jot about the finer points of dance especially when Craig tediously lists them each week!
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    For all those that go on about Entertainment, why isn't a couple doing excellent dancing Entertaining. The most memorable and entertaining moments of SCD have been some of the great dances that have taken place between an amateur and a professional.

I don't think anyone is saying a couple who dance well isn't entertaining. The show offers a mix of entertainment.
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your assumption is wrong. Instead I would suggest "entertainment" means " a performance that I find amusing and gives me pleasure". That's why I enjoy watching the likes of Ann W. To be honest I couldn't care a jot about the finer points of dance especially when Craig tediously lists them each week!

Apologies, my point was poorly phrased. That was what I meant- that "most entertaining" is a purely subjective judgement i.e. not quantifiable, therefore "most entertaining" to me means "the one I enjoy the most, regardless of technicalities." It's a sliding scale that no one else can measure or say is wrong because it's a purely personal feeling that could be based on anything from dance technique, to humour, "journey," personality, pro dancer or anything else. Last year I preferred Ali to Ricky, despite Ricky being the best dancer. My only reason for this was that I preferred Ali's style of dance i.e. I personally derived more pleasure and entertainment from her dancing. I know however that many people found her dull and I could never even try to "prove" that she was the more entertaining of the two. Preferring Ann to anyone else on entertainment grounds is perfectly reasonable, because it's all down to personal preference rather than a strict marking scheme. That's what I meant before, but summarised a little too harshly!
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I don't enjoy watching Ann because I think someone in the wardrobe department must be having a laugh at her expense. It really irritates me!

That gold dress with the wired frills looked like a reject from Widow Twanky's hamper. All she needed was the overblown wig and Carmen Miranda headdress.

What are they trying to say with these ridiculous outfits. It's impossible to clothe a plus size woman elegantly and modestly?

Try harder or move over and let a better designer take over.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're asking too much, Airam - I think they do very well, given Ann's physique and rules & regs :rolleyes:

parthena
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with Airam, the wardrobe dept is doing a shocking job for Ann. They should put her in some decent foundation wear and then an elegant dress that flatters, rather than the ill-fitting, lavatory paper covers they're currently producing.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Airam, the wardrobe dept is doing a shocking job for Ann. They should put her in some decent foundation wear and then an elegant dress that flatters, rather than the ill-fitting, lavatory paper covers they're currently producing.

As I understand it, her own list of requirements means that she will only wear her own foundation garments. In this instance wardrobe are blamess ...
  • pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    That is a great idea. I have such fond memories of watching Come Dancing in black and white as a child. The formation dance round was fantastic! :D

We were mmbers of the Russel Vale formation team (north london) and always believed formation was ideal TV viewing

When we competed as individuals there was always a more serious overtone the formation was serious but combined with fuller fun content
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love the formation :) I think I remember the name Russell Vale, but of course Frank & Peggy Spencer really stand out for me, a non-dancer with a fading memory :rolleyes:

Am trying to remember Bobbi someone and her partner, they used to live down the road from me in Streatham.

parthena
  • *Wysiwyg**Wysiwyg* Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill and Bobbie Irvine?
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have said before now that they have decided to dumb down Strictly even more they should just call it dancing with the stars like all the others shows round the world let's face it there is noting strict tempo about he dances portrayed on the show anymore and having it linked to ComeDancing seems wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Wysiwyg* wrote: »
    Bill and Bobbie Irvine?

That's the two :) Thanks!

parthena
  • ScattyjanScattyjan Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *FILM SPOILERS WITHIN - BEWARE*

The film Strictly Ballroom is all about a lad who (despite being an excellent dancer) rebels against the snotty dance purists and develops his own style in the ballroom - one that the purists revile as 'flashy', 'crowd-pleasing' and 'silly'.

Central to the plot is his taking of a tragically mediocre amateur dancer as his partner, and turning her into a spectacular showpiece performer. You never find out whether they win anything or not, but their dancing brings everybody together to have a good time.

Personally, I'd have thought that both of the above elements were excellent reasons to refer to the current show by its current title.

I think that pretty much settles it then ;) nice one, Lorelei Lee!