Options

Dance Troupe

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Darren and Ian plus a bunch of misfits who aren't any good - what a complete waste of talent! :mad:

Ian was brilliant dancing with Natalie last year and yet they have been split up with her now having to dance with Brendan...who looks like a midget by comparison :(

Darren without Lilia is just...strange :(

Why did they need to hire three new male pro dancers when they already had two perfectly good ones :mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most of that apart from the "misfits who aren't any good", because I've seen Tanya and Crystal perform in Latin Fever and they were both amazing - although I wasn't overly impressed with Crystal last night, she's definately talented.

Darren (along with Lilia) is my favourite pro and from what I've heard the dance troupe were supposed to be performing "spectacular" routines, the competing pros did more than them! The competing pro's got fancy lighting, sparkly light up dresses, coming down on wires, chairs e.t.c and the dance troupe got nothing! I can see why Matthew and Lilia turned it down.

I also think it was really bad that they didn't even get introduced properly unlike the other 3 new pros. Bruce didn't even say their last names!

On the bright side; I did think Darren was amazing and it was good to see him still on the show as part of the dance troupe, even though he deserves to be a competing pro.
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i found their routine the most boring, which is a shame. I have re watched the whole show a few times but always run that bit on.
    Hopefully once the others start competing the dance troupes routines will be better as the competing pro's were definitely better last night (imo).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x-cherry-x wrote: »
    I agree with most of that apart from the "misfits who aren't any good", because I've seen Tanya and Crystal perform in Latin Fever and they were both amazing - although I wasn't overly impressed with Crystal last night, she's definately talented.

Darren (along with Lilia) is my favourite pro and from what I've heard the dance troupe were supposed to be performing "spectacular" routines, the competing pros did more than them! The competing pro's got fancy lighting, sparkly light up dresses, coming down on wires, chairs e.t.c and the dance troupe got nothing! I can see why Matthew and Lilia turned it down.

I also think it was really bad that they didn't even get introduced properly unlike the other 3 new pros. Bruce didn't even say their last names!On the bright side; I did think Darren was amazing and it was good to see him still on the show as part of the dance troupe, even though he deserves to be a competing pro.

Yep, I noticed this and it did look realy odd having Ian and Darren dancing but not as part of the main show. I have mixed feelings about them competing as part of this new troupe: just not sure, I'm kind of glad Matt C isn't part of the show as it just doesn't look right to see them when they're not competing as professionals...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    To be honest i found their routine the most boring, which is a shame. I have re watched the whole show a few times but always run that bit on.
    Hopefully once the others start competing the dance troupes routines will be better as the competing pro's were definitely better last night (imo).

I agree with you but alot more "Wow" things were put into their routine, as I mentioned in my last post light up dresses, props, coming down on wires e.t.c whereas the dance troupe had none of that which is why I think the competing pros routines were more interesting. Maybe if the dance troupe had all these factors then it would have been better. I did enjoy their routine though.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    If anyone does actually survive the very manipulated SCD this year, then the dance troupe bit will give viewers every opportunity of switching over to the X Factor ..... and never switching back. :eek: :p

BBC >>>>> Gun >> Foot >> Shoot!! :D
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    If anyone does actually survive the very manipulated SCD this year, then the dance troupe bit will give viewers every opportunity of switching over to the X Factor ..... and never switching back. :eek: :p

BBC >>>>> Gun >> Foot >> Shoot!! :D

Exactly. What was the point? Didn't the pro dancers perform as a troupe anyway?

Maybe the troupe are there to give the pros a break/more time. But it just didn't seem right. Darren and Ian relegated to some dance troupe of 6. It looked like a poor man's pro dance.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    x-cherry-x wrote: »
    I agree with you but alot more "Wow" things were put into their routine, as I mentioned in my last post light up dresses, props, coming down on wires e.t.c whereas the dance troupe had none of that which is why I think the competing pros routines were more interesting. Maybe if the dance troupe had all these factors then it would have been better. I did enjoy their routine though.

I hated the gimmicks in the competing pros' second dance, but I still preferred it to the dance troupe dance. There was just so much more energy in the competing pros, and they at least looked like they were truly enjoying it!

For me, Ian and Aneta were the only saving grace for the troupe number, but still not a patch on Ian & Natalie, and he is too tall for her. I just don't see the point in having the dance troupe, at the minute it's looking like Matt and Lilia made the better decision in turning it down, and I say that with sadness because I did miss them both...
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the blonde in the dance troupe was terrible
    I can't believe they got rid of Lilia for her
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose they are there to take the burden off the pros who sometimes have an awful lot of routines to perform per week (especially those who make it deep into the competition)?

I think the problem is some of these dancers are just faces. We don't know them. I hope we get a chance to on ITT or something. Maybe then we'll be more interested in their performances.
  • Options
    Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once the season gets underway they should be doing more dances on the results show. I think ITT visits would be great!
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it made the BBC look rather silly, after all their hype about the dance troupe being there to perform spectacular routines... the standard of dancing was better than the weakest dancers in the pro dancers' routine, but all the production went into the pro dancers' routine, which meant that was obviously going to be the 'spectacular' bit.

Also the competing pros danced more than the dancing pros.

I think the BBC may have quietly abandoned what they were originally planning after they lost Brian, Matt and Lilia- who I suspect had bigger fanbases than those remaining. I imagine the dance troupe has now been relegated to 'filler', where originally it might have had the production now going into the competing pros' routines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think the dance troupe looked more like filler material than the dance spectacular we were promised.

Darren without Lilia is just plain wrong, and I think the show will miss them competing this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I suppose they are there to take the burden off the pros who sometimes have an awful lot of routines to perform per week (especially those who make it deep into the competition)?

They don't really though - Ola, Natalie and Brian dropped out of the pro group routines at the quarter final stage last year, Ola's rumba with James in week 11 was her last pro contribution of the series!

So the pros never have more than maybe 3 routines per week to perform, the same number they did on the launch show alone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't really though - Ola, Natalie and Brian dropped out of the pro group routines at the quarter final stage last year, Ola's rumba with James in week 11 was her last pro contribution of the series!

So the pros never have more than maybe 3 routines per week to perform, the same number they did on the launch show alone!

Which begs the question, what is the point of the troupe?? I mean, I'm glad it's there because at least we still get to see Ian and Darren, but would much rather see them competing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rach_89 wrote: »
    Which begs the question, what is the point of the troupe?? I mean, I'm glad it's there because at least we still get to see Ian and Darren, but would much rather see them competing.

My thoughts exactly, I think it's pointless. Wasn't impressed by the troupe on the launch show, although was happy to see Ian dance (not a Darren fan, sorry). Would much rather have had Ian or Matt still in the competition over Jared judging on Saturday night alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katie_p wrote: »
    I thought it made the BBC look rather silly, after all their hype about the dance troupe being there to perform spectacular routines... the standard of dancing was better than the weakest dancers in the pro dancers' routine, but all the production went into the pro dancers' routine, which meant that was obviously going to be the 'spectacular' bit.

Also the competing pros danced more than the dancing pros.

I think the BBC may have quietly abandoned what they were originally planning after they lost Brian, Matt and Lilia- who I suspect had bigger fanbases than those remaining. I imagine the dance troupe has now been relegated to 'filler', where originally it might have had the production now going into the competing pros' routines.

Completely agree, I think the DT pro's have been left high and dry :( We shall see what happens;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    josar22 wrote: »
    Completely agree, I think the DT pro's have been left high and dry :( We shall see what happens;)

Hopefully, the new male pro's will all break a leg and the BBC will be forced to beg Darren and Ian to cover for them.
  • Options
    isis333isis333 Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian choreographed the dance right? It's sooooo his style :)

I don't know why he was relegated to the dance troupe :(
  • Options
    bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pointless. Who will be interested in watching them, it's just padding to give the 'stars' of the show a break, a costume change or a cuppa. My heart goes out to Ian and Darren they must feel sick having to be reduced to doing this.

... and poor Lilia at home watching Darren doing this to bring home the bacon.

:(
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was flicking through the pro-celeb tour programme and noticed that Darren is credited as Assistant Director. Maybe he has stayed in the show without Lilia as he wants to make a move in that direction

I initially liked the idea of the DT and with the likes of Brian, Matt, Ian etc it would have been fabulous. On Saturday well it was OK but it most definately felt like filler. Hopefully it'll improve, the problem I think is that the BBC can go about things so half arsed that what could have been great will just be so so and I congratulate Brian and Matt for opting out.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    The show did feel different but I think it needed a change as last year's was a bit lacklustre.
    I think that by introducing so many new professional partners, the BBC has shifted the attention back to the celebs and their progress, rather than "How's Matt Cutler/Darren/Lilia getting on, and who is that person they're dancing with?"
    Now that training has started, the new system will give the dance partners more chance to focus on teaching their celeb, while the troupe will hopefully be able to perform some amazing routines without the distraction of having to teach Ann Widdecombe to samba. I'm staying optimistic for now.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pro dancing when it has all of them on the floor tends to look messy and the first show wasn't better than in the past.

Matthew and Karen did the choreograpy, which should mean I was happy, but I thought both music choices were poor.

Same with the troupe dance - thought the music choice poor and they were struggling to keep up with the speed.

Mybe they are being 'encouraged' to use a certain type of music?

Overall the show looked under-rehearsed, and hanging Flavia and Vincent on wires didn't work.

I still think the one big plus for this year is the celebs and I think they did the pairings well too.
  • Options
    yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't impressed with the dance troupe at all. Really bad idea IMO. I thought we were promised amazing routines but judging from Saturday's they are going to be incredibly boring. Think when they are on will become known as the time to put the kettle on segment!
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    The show did feel different but I think it needed a change as last year's was a bit lacklustre.
    Last year's soloists have now been removed to the chorus line of three couples. Lilia explained that she quit because she did not want her good memories sullied by a shabby end. Time will tell if her choice or Darren's is the wiser.

And for our next trick (drumroll): Anne Widdiecombe, Paul Daniels. Wow.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, the new male pro's will all break a leg and the BBC will be forced to beg Darren and Ian to cover for them.

Someone could put a few strategically placed banana skins on the stairs to Tess's new room.:D