John Creasey

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
Has any thriller writer been quite a thoroughly forgotten as John Creasey?Creator of Gideon (as J. J. Marric), The Baron, The Toff and Dr. Palfrey of Z5 among others, he wrote over 600 books and had 28 pseudonyms.
The local bookstalls used to creak under the weight of his output and I spent most of my pocket money on his books but he seems to have fallen out of favour these days. A pity, because he was a great storyteller.

Comments

• fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, I went to the Crime Thriller Awards the other day and his name was all over it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I'm with you, Ironjade. There was a time when these were readily available in any book shop, charity shop or market stall but now..? i seem to recall that radio 4 used to have a drama serial featuring Gideon. Perhaps 4 Extra might like to rerun these and raise the profile again?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily the tv series "Gideon's Way" is available on dvd although its chances of ever being on tv again are slim to none because it's in black and white. TBH I don't think it was ever repeated after its debut c.1963 but I've no idea why
    I used to love the Z5/Dr. Palfrey books: even though they were a bit samey they were still great yarns.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you, Ironjade. There was a time when these were readily available in any book shop, charity shop or market stall but now..? i seem to recall that radio 4 used to have a drama serial featuring Gideon. Perhaps 4 Extra might like to rerun these and raise the profile again?

They could certainly give Paul Temple a rest. I cannot bear those and they seem to be on almost as often as Geoffrey Whitehead.
    :)