Options

Celebrity slammer just a ruse to protect Gemma

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
They clearly knew that her team would be in the slammer.

However protecting her from trials through this seems a bit off

Comments

• Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt they say only the celebs in the slammer would face the trails at 1st?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didnt they say only the celebs in the slammer would face the trails at 1st?

I'm running behind but I thought they said it was only the free team that were elegible for trials
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I'm running behind but I thought they said it was only the free team that were elegible for trials

I mean in the original press release
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I'm glad. I don't want to see her do every trial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

I know, that is what is making my heart sink at the moment. The British public have a fatal weakness for watching someone weep and scream, but it could get very tedious very quickly. I wish they had a rule that no one could do two consecutive trials.
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    On the contrary OP I think they did it to protect the show. Someone like Gemma is pretty media savvy and knows that the "wimpiest" person generally gets picked for the trials. She's only interested in AT and although it's funny at first it grates after a while when the same person gets picked repeatedly. The only time it really worked was when Fash (focus) did them because at least he gave it his all everytime. Whereas the likes of Gillian, Helen and Natalie didn't even bother trying. Mind you Gillian "fainting" was TV gold. :D
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

The public might though.
  • Options
    nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    *Laura* wrote: »
    On the contrary OP I think they did it to protect the show. Someone like Gemma is pretty media savvy and knows that the "wimpiest" person generally gets picked for the trials. She's only interested in AT and although it's funny at first it grates after a while when the same person gets picked repeatedly. The only time it really worked was when Fash (focus) did them because at least he gave it his all everytime. Whereas the likes of Gillian, Helen and Natalie didn't even bother trying. Mind you Gillian "fainting" was TV gold. :D

agree I thought we would be in for days of Gemma having "meltdowns" after being voted to do the tasks - this way is much better. Its obvious she wants as much AT as poss - keeping her in the slammer avoids this - well played ;-)
  • Options
    erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma will be gutted that she will not be able to grab the limelight via the trials ...genius move imo .
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    The public might though.
    I dont think the public do

I know I would rather see her not getting all the airtime and getting her knickers in a twist because its not all about her
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be excused all the trials in confined spaces, so we don't need to worry about having to endure her doing (or probably not doing) all of them.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll be excused all the trials in confined spaces, so we don't need to worry about having to endure her doing (or probably not doing) all of them.

Is that fair? I'm sure others have their phobias too (Kendra and heights for instance) but they still have to try and overcome them in the trials.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not to protect Gemma...it's to save a large section of the viewing public turning off in droves at yet another series gets dominated by a possibly faking it air time grabbing screamer night after night doing every trial...for which I thank them.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »

Well, if Gemma faints, Bob will have his work cut out for him.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    Is that fair? I'm sure others have their phobias too (Kendra and heights for instance) but they still have to try and overcome them in the trials.

Is it about phobias, or about having to build larger trial sets? It is a fact that she is significantly larger than everyone else in there, and much less mobile.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, that is what is making my heart sink at the moment. The British public have a fatal weakness for watching someone weep and scream, but it could get very tedious very quickly. I wish they had a rule that no one could do two consecutive trials.

They really really need to bring that rule in, I agree.

It gets boring VERY quickly when someone goes to a bushtucker trial and doesn't even try and do it. Helen Flanagan was a case in point and ruined more than one trial and a couple of live ones I believe, much to the obvious irritation of Ant and Dec.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's to protect her at all - she wants the trials for air time. They're not idiots, they all know the game now.

I think it's a good move by the show - intentional or not. Tonight, even if the group decides to take Gemma out of jail, she won't be eligible for the trial (like Carl wasn't), meaning on Wednesday we will see one of the six do it who's not currently in jail.
    Then, because of the no show on Tuesday, the camp will decide who does the next trial (as always). Meaning NO GEMMA CENTRAL SHOWS until at least Thursday!!! Then, she'll only have a few episodes left to milk, as the viewers will stop voting for the trials soon after.

DELIGHTFUL NEWS :)

Don't get me wrong, I did find her funny last night and laughed out loud a few times, but I get absolutely SICK of seeing the same people doing trial after trial. Hopefully, the public don't choose Jimmy again tonight, although I think it will be hard not to unless one of the others has a major freak out about something.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    The public might though.

I am a member of the public and I don't want to see her do any trials.
  • Options
    farlofanfarlofan Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    They really really need to bring that rule in, I agree.

It gets boring VERY quickly when someone goes to a bushtucker trial and doesn't even try and do it. Helen Flanagan was a case in point and ruined more than one trial and a couple of live ones I believe, much to the obvious irritation of Ant and Dec.

I agree but they won't bring in a rule like that as it would mean less revenue from votes.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farlofan wrote: »
    I agree but they won't bring in a rule like that as it would mean less revenue from votes.

What makes the real/big money for shows like this is not the trivial amount the votes bring in...it's the value of the advertising time they can sell and that is all priced on the viewing figures alone.

(It's why the Superbowl in the USA is the most expensive time to place any advert)

And IIRC the biggest difference between highest and lowest viewing figures for a series...meaning at some point people were switching off were those series which featured the likes of McKeith and that stupid Helen girl dominating night after night of the trials/airtime with their histrionics.

If I paid the rate for an average audience of 8m I'd be pretty ticked to discover it had fallen to 5m by the day my ad showed...and far less willing to cough up the same money next year. To say nothing of what Iceland feel if viewer numbers for a show they are sponsoring start to fall.

They've dropped hints for years...short of asking people outright...not to keep voting for the same squealers night after night...if they have to arrange the show/rules to prevent this happening and saving their viewing figures I'm only surprised they didn't do it years ago.
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about phobias
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Is it about phobias, or about having to build larger trial sets? It is a fact that she is significantly larger than everyone else in there, and much less mobile.
    Good to see somebody else is awake ;-)
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I am glad not to see the same wimp night after night. Jimmy should be funny tonight..... He's brave in a sort of frightened way. !
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    She is too heavy for a tandem sky dive, which left the zip wire with drop which I daresay she's also too heavy for. Hence the pre-arranged meltdown in the copter. Faces saved all round.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    She is too heavy for a tandem sky dive, which left the zip wire with drop which I daresay she's also too heavy for. Hence the pre-arranged meltdown in the copter. Faces saved all round.

Sorry.
    I don't buy that theory.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not to protect Gemma...it's to save a large section of the viewing public turning off in droves at yet another series gets dominated by a possibly faking it air time grabbing screamer night after night doing every trial...for which I thank them.

Here Here totally agree.