Clarkson gets the last laugh

White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks like Clarkson's had the last laugh over the BBC.

According to this report, he's being paid $1.2 Million per EPISODE of his new show on Amazon - that's $14.7 Million per year with Hammond and May reportedly getting £11 Million per year.

http://www.odometer.com/pop-culture/29829/post-whoa-amazon-is-paying-jeremy-clarkson-15-million-a-year-for-his-new-show#page=1

Then you have to wonder how much the BBC will be losing in sales revenue with the new TG with Chris Evans as presenter....

What he did was wrong, but the BBC certainly did the wrong thing in sacking him. It's made him richer than ever and the BBC probably poorer.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    He assaulted his producer, no reasonable employer would keep someone on after that even if they were going to make the organisation lots of money.
  • BBChaterBBChater Posts: 355
    Forum Member

According to this report, he's being paid $1.2 Million per EPISODE of his new show on Amazon - that's $14.7 Million per year with Hammond and May reportedly getting £11 Million per year.

http://www.odometer.com/pop-culture/29829/post-whoa-amazon-is-paying-jeremy-clarkson-15-million-a-year-for-his-new-show#page=1

Then you have to wonder how much the BBC will be losing in sales revenue with the new TG with Chris Evans as presenter....

What he did was wrong, but the BBC certainly did the wrong thing in sacking him. It's made him richer than ever and the BBC probably poorer.

An oddly appropriate username for someone defending Clarkson.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know the BBC will be losing revenue with the new Top Gear ?
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarkson constructed his own dismissal it was the objective of his action.
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your reasoning and ethical logic is quite simply ridiculous and belongs in the dark ages. You are advocating that there should be blatant discrimination when it comes to employee misconduct cases at the BBC. So, if someone earns a lot of money and gives the corporation a good financial return then they can expect preferential treatment if they are violent and abusive to another employee, whereas if someone doesn't directly earn the corporation much money, then they can be dismissed much more easily and for less misconduct.

I find it incredible that anyone would advocate such a policy in 2015, and if the BBC did there would be outrage of Daily Mail proportions. Utterly mad.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    When his contract is terminated early by Amazon due to a lack of subscription interest, we"ll see who is laughing. The head of Netflix was right, they're not worth it.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep
    Netflix: Top Gear trio 'not worth the money'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34167864
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hang on!

Amazon aren't daft. They operate in the "real world," not the cosy confines of the BBC.

He's probably signed a contract with them, but you can bet that what he gets from it will be dependent on how much cash any programme in which he appears generates.

So he won't be laughing yet, If he has any chance of laughing at all.

Those who will be laughing, are people like me, who had no time for the arrogant slob. Glad to see the back of him.

As for the BBC's "loss," it was explained by a contributor to this board that the net income from Top Gear was about £5M. What's that, less than point two percent of their income?

There won't be much wringing of hands at the BBC.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being a bit premature, White-Knight. I don't think we've heard the last laugh yet.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may just be coincidence but Clarkson's Saturday column in The Sun has disappeared.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    He assaulted his producer, no reasonable employer would keep someone on after that even if they were going to make the organisation lots of money.

Actually I know different but I don't want to post because of possible legal ramifications by firms trying to protect their reputations. Lets just say that at some Christmas parties, such incidents get ignored.

Having said that, no-one is saying that what he did was right. However, there were some extenuating circumstances such as the stress of his cancer scare and therefore whilst he should have been punished (no argument), there were ways this could have been handled short of dismissal such as suspension.

I personally feel this was just a part of a larger political agenda against Clarkson by those on the left wing who simply don't like what he was - a middle class presenter with politically incorrect views. Let's face it, everything he said led to calls for him to be sacked from the left for a long time before this incident.

For me, and many others, what he represented at the BBC was actually refreshing from the bored politically correct programming and presentation we otherwise have to put up with. (Well actually I don't I watch other channels).

I think you're being a bit premature, White-Knight. I don't think we've heard the last laugh yet.

I think he's had the last laugh by a long way. He sold the rights to TG to be the BBC for a reported £14M a few years ago and now he's signed a deal since leaving the BBC for $14.7 per year, a substantial rise on his BBC salary. That's a proper two fingered salute to the BBC to be fired and then hired for substantially more salary than before as a result.

As for the new show being a possible flop, do you really think he'd care if it was a flop and he never worked again? He's still going to walk away with $14.7M reported for the first series no matter how well it does.

Personally, I'd have left the BBC and television years ago the minute I sold TG for £14 M and retired somewhere nice. With that kind of money in the bank, employment becomes a hobby.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having said that, no-one is saying that what he did was right. However, there were some extenuating circumstances such as the stress of his cancer scare and therefore whilst he should have been punished (no argument), there were ways this could have been handled short of dismissal such as suspension.
    Aren't you forgetting the fact the he was already on a final warning. Clarkson himself had admitted several times before the last incident that if he did one more thing wrong, he'd be sacked.

Then he got drunk and physically assaulted a work colleague. Oh well...
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't you forgetting the fact the he was already on a final warning. Clarkson himself had admitted several times before the last incident that if he did one more thing wrong, he'd be sacked.

Then he got drunk and physically assaulted a work colleague. Oh well...
    Yes, people with actual cancer and/or stressful jobs don't necessarily react in the way he did. Sounds to me like an arrogant, entitled man who had a a skinful and then behaved like a brat (again), not some warrior for authentic manhood against the menace of PC as his fanboys and girls like to portray.

He made a fool of himself so no last laugh available, regardless of his future successes, that not being the point.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Clarkson constructed his own dismissal it was the objective of his action.
    Why would he need to? He was not a salaried employee, his contract only had a matter of weeks to go, and all that he needed to do was not to sign a new contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It may just be coincidence but Clarkson's Saturday column in The Sun has disappeared.

Probably on holiday?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hasn't this been reported in other news sources some time ago but there were doubts about the accuracy of the figure. I don't think either party has actually announced the amount he is paid and it will be complicated by other factors - often the payment is to a production company which has to pay production costs.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I can believe he's negotiated a deal that could potentially, eventually, average out to $1.2m per ep, I don't believe for a second he's getting that as a 'salary' per episode. It takes maybe eight or so years for a TV actor in the States to negotiate that sort of deal, and that's only after very high viewing figures year after year. Granted, Amazon isn't a TV network and presumably doesn't have to chase advertisers, but neither has Clarkson proven to Amazon that's he's worth silly money and I don't believe Amazon would risk it.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,934
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Whilst I can believe he's negotiated a deal that could potentially, eventually, average out to $1.2m per ep, I don't believe for a second he's getting that as a 'salary' per episode. It takes maybe eight or so years for a TV actor in the States to negotiate that sort of deal, and that's only after very high viewing figures year after year. Granted, Amazon isn't a TV network and presumably doesn't have to chase advertisers, but neither has Clarkson proven to Amazon that's he's worth silly money and I don't believe Amazon would risk it.

If anything Clarkson is probably laughing at his fans for believing the reports of his new deal.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right that the poor soul makes money after his cruel sacking. Of course someone has the right to physically assault a colleague as long as he makes programmes that please the boy racers.

I suggest we change the law so that people are exempt from assault charges if they make more than £1m a year for their employer!

Money rules. Who cares about principles, common decency and other inconveniences when there's money to be made?

I want to see bad cars ridiculed and fast cars and fast driving worshipped. So what if people get hurt, especially those that stupidly get in the way of my babe magnet?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it would be OK if I was having a 'bad time' to walk on my ward and punch one of my nursing team?

Clarkson is a legend in his own mind who should have been sacked long before he was.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Clarkson is nothing but a violent thug.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a thread has appeared with the same old rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or, more politely, exactly the same voices putting forward exactly the same points as raised in a couple of other very lengthy threads.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Link?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this should be made a sticky for reference anytime anyone starts complaining that the BBC overpay.