Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 40% of tickets sold so far. :o
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Only 40% of tickets sold so far. :o

Not really a surprise - apart from volleyball and football are Brazilians really that interested in most of the Olympic sports?

They will just flog a few to sponsors to fill the events.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    I bet it's not cheap even for middle class Brazilians. A lot would have to fly in and pay extortionate hotel prices just like the foreigners. Brazil is also a long way from the big supporting nations of the Olympics who sent lots of travelling fans. We've discussed here that packages are way overpriced and even trying to arrange it yourself can't be done cheaply unless you want to put yourself at risk.

I found a good video where the Rio bid video has been put to music rather than the verbal commentary. The scale of the Olympics development is fantastic. Dwarfs London's and looks bigger than the Chinese effort. They'll have a real challenge finding post Olympics uses for the venues. I suppose the gamble is that it will help Rio become an A list world city like New York and London.
    http://youtu.be/l7CgmnLzsIQ
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be delighted to see them slash the opening and closing ceremonies back to just simple team march-pasts as they were back about 40 years ago, but that isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Not really a surprise - apart from volleyball and football are Brazilians really that interested in most of the Olympic sports?

They will just flog a few to sponsors to fill the events.

Olympic Football is traditionally a hard sell especially in the group stages. It wouldn't surprise me if they struggle here as well apart from the Brazilian matches obviously. I imagine the big vents like athletics & swimming have also sold well and then stuff like Volleyball that the Brazilians have a big interest in.

In contrast to us Brits who always attend the big sporting events in large numbers as we can see at the moment with the Rugby World Cup.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has all the hallmarks of the Athens Olympics where some sports were played out in front of half empty stadia in the first week but dramatically increased for the second.

As somebody who Is planning to go it hasn't been at all easy to obtain tickets for the "premium sports" like athletics, swimming and cycling. I suspect it's local sales that have been low and pricing is high. I am hopeful more will become available for us to buy.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Olympic Football is traditionally a hard sell especially in the group stages. It wouldn't surprise me if they struggle here as well apart from the Brazilian matches obviously. I imagine the big vents like athletics & swimming have also sold well and then stuff like Volleyball that the Brazilians have a big interest in.

In contrast to us Brits who always attend the big sporting events in large numbers as we can see at the moment with the Rugby World Cup.
    In South America Olympic football is a big thing. If you are going to sell it anywhere, it will sell in Brazil.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder will they be booing Dilma at the ceremonies like the soccer, her vote base isn't exactly the income bracket that will be attending this event. That could be so cringe if it does happen.