The Ratings Thread (Part 8) (Merged)

Comments

• gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Yeah but what I meant is why did they stick a post from an hour before the thread was split at the top of this thread and leave other subsequent posts in the last thread? Very odd.
    Because they just love rzt! :D
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    I think The Prisoner's definitely airing in April as it's been reported so and ITV has started some 'Coming Soon' promos for it.
    Is The Prisoner a US drama? The title is really familiar, though it's not something I've seen, Thanks
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Ah, I forgot about that. How many episodes is The Prisoner? Maybe they could strip it across a week or air it:

- Monday 10th
    - Tuesday 11th
    - Wednesday 12th
    - Monday 17th
    - Tuesday 18th
    - Wednesday 19th

I don't think there would be any footy commitments on those dates and no (currently scheduled) dramas on those dates either.

You'd probably get less than 2 million for the last 2 episodes which would be embarrassing though. I'd imagine they will bury it on Saturdays.

Please bear in mind, The Prisoner remake is awful, and even aside from that personal opinion, it's more surreal than Twin Peaks ever was. It won't play to a mainstream audience at all, in my 'umble opinion
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Is The Prisoner a US drama? The title is really familiar, though it's not something I've seen, Thanks

USA remake of a 1960's British drama series.

Edit: though you could argue the remake owes as much to Lost as the original series.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the television so obsessed with 16-34? I am sure a programme would do better with an over 35 audience, who make up more of the population and are mostly better off as they are mostly more settled in their careers and the kids have left home, etc. I'm not talking about wall to wall Heartbeat and Last of the Summer Wine, but more programmes aimed at my demographic would be preferable to bitchy, trashy reality shows, juvenile comedies and yoof obsessed soaps.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to get all the main Formula 1 ratings from the weekend, and with that in mind:

Australian Grand Prix - Ratings Roundup
    Qualifying
    0.38m (25.7%) - Live
    1.70m (16.7%) - Re-Run
    Total = 2.08 million

Race
    0.81m (54.4%) - Live
    3.75m (23.0%) - Re-Run
    Total = 4.56 million

Qualifying
    0.80m (44.6%) - Live
    2.53m (27.3%) - Re-Run
    Total = 3.33 million

Race
    2.13m (60.5%) - Live
    2.85m (30.2%) - Re-Run
    Total = 4.98 million

Qualifying
    0.81m (39.1%) - Live
    1.93m (21.0%) - Re-Run
    Total = 2.74 million

Race
    1.95m (53.7%) - Live
    2.56m (23.4%) - Re-Run
    Total = 4.51 million

Lowest race rating for Australia since 2007, to be expected I guess considering it was not Round 1 of the championship.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With March now over (in terms of BARB weeks), below are the primetime share averages for BBC1 and ITV1 for last month. In brackets are the equivalent averages from March last year:

BBC One
    March Overall: 22.2% (22.8%)

Monday: 21.5% (21.3%)
    Tuesday: 24.3% (22.3%)
    Wednesday: 19.4% (20.1%)
    Thursday: 22.5% (25.4%)
    Friday: 24.0% (26.8%)
    Saturday: 24.4% (26.0%)
    Sunday: 19.0% (17.5%)

ITV1
    March Overall: 20.8% (22.0%)

Monday: 23.5% (27.1%)
    Tuesday: 13.5% (18.8%)
    Wednesday: 22.3% (21.6%)
    Thursday: 21.7% (17.2%)
    Friday: 19.6% (19.3%)
    Saturday: 19.6% (19.0%)
    Sunday: 25.2% (30.8%)
    Like February, both BBC1 and ITV1 were down compared to last year. The fall for ITV1 was, once again, particularly big.

BBC1 was down on most days but made some good improvements on Tuesdays and Sundays. Sundays have been helped by strong performances by Antiqes Roadshow and Lark Rise. Their top night was Saturday, though it was down from March ’09 probably due to the slightly lower numbers Let’s Dance and Casualty got this year.

ITV1 was actually up on most days, but saw a big fall overall due to some large declines on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays. The lead over BBC1 on Sundays halved from 13.3% (2009) to 6.2% (2010). Despite some lacklustre ratings on Friday and Saturday recently such as Dining Stars and Push The Button, both days were up from last year as last year they had some awful rating programmes airing in March such as Moving Wallpaper, Al Murray and The Colour of Money.

So overall in 2010 to date, the Q1 primetime share averages for BBC1 and ITV1 are:

BBC1: 22.1% (22.5%)
    ITV1: 21.2% (22.1%)

BBC1 nicely ahead of ITV1 in the primetime shares and I think they could win 2010 overall unless ITV1 has a particularly strong performing quarter. For Q1, BBC1 was down slightly compared to the first 3 months last year, but ITV1 saw a pretty big decline. Will be interesting to see how the next 3 months pan out, what with the World Cup coming up.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Why is the television so obsessed with 16-34? I am sure a programme would do better with an over 35 audience, who make up more of the population and are mostly better off as they are mostly more settled in their careers and the kids have left home, etc. I'm not talking about wall to wall Heartbeat and Last of the Summer Wine, but more programmes aimed at my demographic would be preferable to bitchy, trashy reality shows, juvenile comedies and yoof obsessed soaps.

I wouldn't say UK TV is as obsessed with demos as other countries are, but it can be the difference between the axe and a recommission. Demos only really come into play here when the headline figure is relatively poor - we've been talking about Hollyoaks the last few pages and how it's headline figure is shocking at the moment, but it's 16-34 figure is still very strong and actually within touching distance of some big UK dramas.

However, with shows like Hollyoaks and stuff like Glee it does make sense to look at the 16-34 demo - why we don't look at 18-49 or 18-54 for the more mainstream shows I don't know. I guess advertisers think those under 35 more likely to be single, so have more disposable income for themselves, rather than having to think about family etc.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since the advent of Multi-channel TV & the internet the mains channels have seen dramatic drops in prime-time audience share.

Shows such as CS & EE have dropped 5+ million viewers, you could argue that millions of viewers have literally died off over the past 20 years and new viewers are not turning in to watch such shows.

I can remember watching TV for 6 hours+ per evening in the 80s - especially pre-summertime , nowadays I watch less than 2 hours on the average evening. The main reason for many people is that there are so many other things to do now, of course a lot more people work in evenings now and at weekends.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    With March now over (in terms of BARB weeks), below are the primetime share averages for BBC1 and ITV1 for last month. In brackets are the equivalent averages from March last year:

BBC One
    March Overall: 22.2% (22.8%)

Monday: 21.5% (21.3%)
    Tuesday: 24.3% (22.3%)
    Wednesday: 19.4% (20.1%)
    Thursday: 22.5% (25.4%)
    Friday: 24.0% (26.8%)
    Saturday: 24.4% (26.0%)
    Sunday: 19.0% (17.5%)

ITV1
    March Overall: 20.8% (22.0%)

Monday: 23.5% (27.1%)
    Tuesday: 13.5% (18.8%)
    Wednesday: 22.3% (21.6%)
    Thursday: 21.7% (17.2%)
    Friday: 19.6% (19.3%)
    Saturday: 19.6% (19.0%)
    Sunday: 25.2% (30.8%)

--

So overall in 2010 to date, the Q1 primetime share averages for BBC1 and ITV1 are:

BBC1: 22.1% (22.5%)
    ITV1: 21.2% (22.1%)

Thanks for those numbers - very interesting as always.

Just for the avoidance of doubt (and hopefully we can avoid starting up this debate again!) what definition of primetime are these based on?

ITV have been OK so far this year, but haven't seen the sort of big drama successes (notably the Monday Night Thrillers) which defined the beginning of 2009 for them. The Tuesday catastrophe has been well documented and the Sunday line-up is in clear decline too - though I guess they weren't programming past 10.00pm as they used to when they ran drama out of the Skate-Off from 9.30.

BBC One stocked up the first couple of months of the year with a better drama line-up than 2009 which must have helped, and though its uninspiring, Masterchef has probably aided opposite the soaps over the last month. EastEnders great couple of months would have been a boost, too - especially now its settled much closer to Corrie than 12 months ago.

Oh, and thanks for the Gavin and Stacey stats on the last thread too. :) Slightly surprised the %age wasn't a bit higher, though it still had more raw viewers in that demo than anything bar the soaps and the Doctor. I think the move to BBC One probably introduced an older audience to a show younger people had been following from the outset.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Press Office has updated:

- A Passionate Woman to air Sunday, April 11th from 21:00 to 22:30, with Part 2 presumably the week after. Don't think it will do well because it starts an hour into Foyle's War.
    - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9pm slots for that week are blank.

EDIT: I wonder what ITV will do if either FA Cup Semi Final goes into Extra Time? On the Saturday I presume the Harry Potter film will move back and Piers Morgan might go for a week, but for the Sunday you might find the early part of primetime being badly affected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I wouldn't say UK TV is as obsessed with demos as other countries are, but it can be the difference between the axe and a recommission. Demos only really come into play here when the headline figure is relatively poor - we've been talking about Hollyoaks the last few pages and how it's headline figure is shocking at the moment, but it's 16-34 figure is still very strong and actually within touching distance of some big UK dramas.

However, with shows like Hollyoaks and stuff like Glee it does make sense to look at the 16-34 demo - why we don't look at 18-49 or 18-54 for the more mainstream shows I don't know. I guess advertisers think those under 35 more likely to be single, so have more disposable income for themselves, rather than having to think about family etc.
    Hello, Brekkie, I suppose we're also becoming more fragmented in our viewing habits as well. The days of 20 million people watching a run of the mill variety show are long gone due to the massive expansion in the number of channels. Stations do seem to be tailored now to different age groups as well- ITV 2 in the main is aimed at a certain type of female viewer who likes celebrity gossip and reality shows that would be totally off limits to the more discerning and older viewer who watches BBC Four and vice versa. However, 16-34 shouldn't be as huge an obsession to schedulers as it is now as there are far more 35 plus viewers around. Yes I could understand if a show aimed 16-34 year olds like Hollyoaks stiffed totally with this age group and no one else was watching it, then it would deserve the axe, but suppose it suddenly became hit with over 35s interested in fashion and the attractive cast, then I would say let it live.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Just for the avoidance of doubt (and hopefully we can avoid starting up this debate again!) what definition of primetime are these based on?
    I used the primetime shares provided by DS, so it's for 19:00-23:00. For the purposes of finding out averages for each day/week, it's the only source which provides primetime shares on a daily basis.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy new ratings thread! :D

I'm surprised Survival seems to be going in the Sunday 6.30pm slot being as that was the slot which killed it off in the first place. :rolleyes:
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy new ratings thread! :D

I'm surprised Survival seems to be going in the Sunday 6.30pm slot being as that was the slot which killed it off in the first place. :rolleyes:

Looks like ITV have shifted it as it's not mentioned on their Press Centre. Starting the following week at 7pm looks more likely (7:15pm would be better as that would avoid Countryfile completely).
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Looks like ITV have shifted it as it's not mentioned on their Press Centre. Starting the following week at 7pm looks more likely (7:15pm would be better as that would avoid Countryfile completely).
    Ah, that's better.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC:
    8pm - Dancing With The Stars - 22.56m (5.5)
    * Down from 24.2m & 6.4 last week
    * American Idol last week had 23.84m (Tue) & 21.0m (Wed)
    * Still well above last years ratings
    10pm - Castle - 14.47m (3.7)
    * Includes some DWTS overrun
    * Growth has been a big positive for ABC this season

CBS:
    8.30pm - Rules of Engagement - 7.26m (2.9)

FOX:
    9pm - 24 - 8.31m (2.6)
    * Not showing any bounce from the big news
    * Down 30% (A18-49) from equivalent episode last year

NBC:
    8pm - Chuck - 5.59m (2.1)
    * Recovers from last weeks 1.9 series low
    9pm - Trauma - 4.80m (1.5)
    10pm - Law & Order - 5.98m (1.8)

* Lost to a repeat of CSI: Miami

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/30/tv-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-down-but-dominate-castle-chuck-rise/46581
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Looks like NBC has got other shows more worthy of the chop than Chuck.

Mega for Castle. Five should have picked this show up in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    ABC:
    8pm - Dancing With The Stars - 22.56m (5.5)
    * Down from 24.2m & 6.4 last week
    * American Idol last week had 23.84m (Tue) & 21.0m (Wed)
    * Still well above last years ratings
    10pm - Castle - 14.47m (3.7)
    * Includes some DWTS overrun
    * Growth has been a big positive for ABC this season

CBS:
    8.30pm - Rules of Engagement - 7.26m (2.9)

FOX:
    9pm - 24 - 8.31m (2.6)
    * Not showing any bounce from the big news
    * Down 30% (A18-49) from equivalent episode last year

NBC:
    8pm - Chuck - 5.59m (2.1)
    * Recovers from last weeks 1.9 series low
    9pm - Trauma - 4.80m (1.5)
    10pm - Law & Order - 5.98m (1.8)

* Lost to a repeat of CSI: Miami

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/30/tv-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-down-but-dominate-castle-chuck-rise/46581

Those DWTS ratings are positively 'titivating'! (Thank you Len.)
    DWTS ran over only by a couple of minutes so it shouldn't really matter, but I must say Castle is quite good; despite it reminding me of Monk a bit too much. Overall I'd think it would have been a good addition to FIVE, but I think maybe BBC should pick it up for their daytime "diagnosis murder" crime slot or as daytime/late night drama somewhere in the schedules.

Something I noticed about DWTS was there was an Ad Break after every individual dance. :eek: I did also notice and like the "BBC Worldwide" studios ident, does anyone have a youtube link to that?

The female host (I think Brekkie was her name) had some trouble filling up dead air though I think that she'll get the hang of it soon enough.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Looks like NBC has got other shows more worthy of the chop than Chuck.

Chuck is "on the bubble" and if it can hold above the 2.0 level then it does have a chance. I think it might come down to how NBC feels about its pilots.

Law & Order will be back but it'll go to Fridays again.

NBC have had a pretty good midseason in primetime, to be fair. Parenthood was up to a 2.7 last week, The Marriage Ref keeps falling but it still had a 2.5 last week. Who Do You Think You Are? has done OK on Fridays as well. Their only downside has been Leno sliding 20-25% from where he used to be.
    Mega for Castle. Five should have picked this show up in the UK.

Has anyone picked it up yet? I know it's future was a bit shaky last season but it has been doing really well since Christmas.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Has anyone picked it up yet? I know it's future was a bit shaky last season but it has been doing really well since Christmas.
    Yes, it's been picked up by Alibi, one of the UKTV channels, so pay TV only.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

Probably everyone who works in advertising is under 34 and thinks that everyone over 34 is like Young Mr Grace from Are You Being Served.

Although, of course, Glee and Hollyoaks would probably have been 2 of Young Mr Grace's favourite programmes.

:D
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »

Oh, and thanks for the Gavin and Stacey stats on the last thread too. :) Slightly surprised the %age wasn't a bit higher, though it still had more raw viewers in that demo than anything bar the soaps and the Doctor. I think the move to BBC One probably introduced an older audience to a show younger people had been following from the outset.
    Do you know what % was it getting on BBC3? Is it possible to get %s for Skins, Being Human etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of demographics and ratings, the least desirable to advertisers is the C2DE over 60, although I would say a large part of the audience for Corrie, Emmerdale and Heartbeat will come from this demographic. I do recall ITV in the mid eighties trying to jettison this demographic as it was held to have little disposable income, often didn't drive and was unattractive to advertisers- hence why programmes such as World of Sport, Crossroads and old style variety were ditched and programmes for this age group were often moved into daytime.
  • PJMillarPJMillar Posts: 3,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a211594/married-single-other-for-second-series.html

In an attempt to make our very own Agent F a celebrity.

Also, many thanks to rzt for pointing me towards the Facebook page!

From what I've heard today, but I can't reveal the source, it's "likely" to be recommissioned.

Take of that what you will...but I guess that ITV will be wanting to invest in this because it's non-crime related and might be the start of bigger and better things in that genre.
This discussion has been closed.