Options

BattleField 3

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1hr plus games are the worst, who on earth would sit through an entire 500% ticket game?
    If they kept the official servers I wouldn't mind but it now seems like they are all gone. Letting the private servers be ranked is such a silly idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    1hr plus games are the worst, who on earth would sit through an entire 500% ticket game?
    If they kept the official servers I wouldn't mind but it now seems like they are all gone. Letting the private servers be ranked is such a silly idea.

i agree, since you could rent your own servers the quality of play has gone downhill, plus the map rotations are generally rubbish now.

I swear I played a game on Gulf Of Oman last night for over 90 mins...I was so bored by the end lol
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell? Isn't this a new game that won awards only recently?

What's going on? This private server thing sounds really bad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bought in on ps3

tried playing campaign and it sucked so bad, got stuck on a early level as the game glitched or something and i couldnt kill red dots with the air support

never tried MP

sat on my shelf ever since, probably give it away to one of my kids mates ...as even my kid hated it

poor cod imitation, cod may be samey every time, but at least it works and is fun to play
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    What the hell? Isn't this a new game that won awards only recently?

What's going on? This private server thing sounds really bad.

The game is fine :P

When it was released, up till recently the only servers you could play on were official DICE ones, which was fine, good map rotations and sensible games.

As of as a recent patch, anyone can now rent a server from EA, it costs 2000 microsoft points a month, which is bugger all really.

Now the server listings are flooded with "ELI7E QU1CKSC0PERS BAD ASS SERVER - JET MAPS ONLY!!111" with ****ing horrible map rotations, weird arbitrary weapon bans and length of games stretched to 500%.

The original DICE servers are still there, I have them in my favourites, but they don't always have players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    i bought in on ps3

tried playing campaign and it sucked so bad, got stuck on a early level as the game glitched or something and i couldnt kill red dots with the air support

never tried MP

sat on my shelf ever since, probably give it away to one of my kids mates ...as even my kid hated it

poor cod imitation, cod may be samey every time, but at least it works and is fun to play

theres your problem, the single player is very average but the MP is brilliant, give it a go, that is where its strength is, as with all BF games. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    i bought in on ps3

never tried MP

If you uninstall the game data (not save game data) and re install it should sort that glitch out (worked for me), as for the SP its very dull, I finished a runthrough on hard in about 6-7 hours.
    It certainly is nothining like CoD which in my opion is no bad thing, once you can put a couple of hours into the MP you'll realise how deep and satisfyng the game is, if you can find a decent server that is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got game preowned, so cant try MP without purchasing stupid online pass thingy .

thinks i'll just stick with mw3....might try sp again though...i'll try that game data suggestion....thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    The whole private sever thing on BF3 has totally ruined the game. Don't get me wrong it's probably a great money spinner for EA and in theory it's a good idea .... But honestly to have little or no 'Normal' severs for those of us that just want to play the game has kind of broken it for me which is a shame as it was awesome!!
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So private servers for consoles is a no go due to so many kids on there. PC private servers are great for the most part.

I prefer the 200-350% tickets servers. If i play on standard ticket servers the rounds finish SO quickly, just as im starting to get into the round... Your team won!/lost! im like wtf, that was it?

Id say the average round time for a 300% ticket server with 50-64 players is approx 40 minutes. But i do get tired/bored of the map if its a 2-round per map cycle, its best if each map is cycled 1 round per map just to keep me playing for hours.

BF2 rounds used to last like 30 minutes, was perfect.
    BF3 rounds on a 100% ticket server only seem to last 10 minutes.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prefer games lasting around 30-50 mins myself. I was in a 100% normal one last night and as above was like WTF, is it over already.

as to the comment of a poor Cod imitation. LOL, it is NOTHING like COD. Admittedly I feel when you buy it and transfer over from COD it is a little overwhelming, but give it a few days til you understand what is going on, how to rank up, how to play etc. and it is amazing.

I only play Conquest and I do prefer the larger maps so I can get to jeeps, tanks etc.

I did have trouble with it disconnecting on me on PS3 now and then but have opened ports now on my router and it seems rock solid now.

I've ditched the laser sights now as feel it gives you away too much compared to what is gained out it.

Was a big COD player (up til Mw3 anyway) but think BF blows it off the planet. I'm not even that good (though getting better) so just hope the community appreciate the little effort that I do put into the game and that I attempt to play as a team at least at times.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 - 50 minute games?

Bugger that. I'd need 3 loo breaks during that shit. Not to mention checking on the kid etc.

It's more for hardcore gamers i think. More power to ya!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Admittedly it means you dont get many games in, but its good fun.

I feel on the smaller maps you can get base spawn trapped, which is a pain, but then you can get that on COD too on likes of domination. The bigger maps are brilliant though and once you start to unlock things it gets better too. I cant fly for shit though, so avoid them.
  • Options
    claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the players really - if it's a good balance the game can go on a while even on just 100% tickets, for example if some of the sets of m-coms in a Rush game go down to single figure tickets.

As long as it doesn't feel like it's dragging, I don't really mind how long a round goes on for - I think 45 mins is about the longest round I've played, and I'll admit it did feel a bit on the long side, which is why I stick to the official servers, I don't think I could take a 200-500% round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stuck through a really long game earlier, by half way through I have honestly never been so bored playing a game before.
    I wish they would show ticket numbers in the description. Though luckily I've favourited some good servers so its not THAT bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just played some RUSH with my brother and was surprised I actually enjoyed it. It must be with me generally getting better, that somehow I can handle it now.

Weird, I've joined this late when all this own server stuff was already there so dont know any better and love the game. Guess I'd have loved it even more had I had the official servers only.
  • Options
    Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rush can be a nice change of pace but can be frustrating when you get put in a team who are more interested sniping from their base than going for the objective. Much prefer conquest myself.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kopite79 wrote: »
    Rush can be a nice change of pace but can be frustrating when you get put in a team who are more interested sniping from their base than going for the objective. Much prefer conquest myself.:)

Yeah, Rush depends greatly on your team...try playing Damavand Peak with a team that just wants to sit in the hills sniping...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going into boosting 'no killing' servers and killing everyone is actually rather fun.

They really need to improve the search filters so it's easier to find potentially good servers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I'm still playing this regularly and agree with everyone's comments, private servers on the whole = bad. All the official servers are always full!

Who in GODS name wants to play Op Metro with 1750 tickets each side!?!?!? It's like pulling teeth and that's a relatively 'fast map'.

When you get in a good game, with a good squad, no game (that I own/play) comes close.

P.s. the knife-only servers can be quite good fun. But you always get some jack the lad shooting people :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Great game and love it to bits. I never played online FPS because I suck but I gave BFBC2 a try early this year (came with my PS3 when I bought it in 2010, lol) and I was hooked to the game. Bought BF3 in Feb and so far spent over 300 hrs on it. The game has so much depth not just running shooting people. Having finally learn to fly a chopper properly (after 300 hrs - lol), my next target is to fly jets :-)

edit: if any of you guys fancy playing together then feel free to add me, I'm an objective player... my psn tag is - Bankie152
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think private servers are bad but there should be an option to hide them (unless there is one I don't know about) and more available normal ones. I've played some great games on private servers but it gives some people the option to mess about with their friends however they like which means I can play 'properly'.

The main problem in any game is the people playing it. I hate people who think every game is deathmatch but there's not much I can do about it.

I think there's been an influx of new players recently which causes a lot of unbalanced games but I think in a couple of months things should settle down and if you spend a bit of time with this game and learn the maps and how to play a bit more tactically you will get so much more out of it.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    It looks like they are going to be rental only servers from now on http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/898819-battlefield-3-servers-are-now-rental-only
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently DICE are hosting a Double XP weekend starting 8am (UK time) Saturday on all ranked servers until 8am Monday.

I don't think DICE have ever held a Double XP event before for any Battlefield game.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    The queues to get into those servers will be massive, if you can even find one!