Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Not only does he attempt to apologize when he sees her, but when she calls the surgery with Danny's emergency, he tells Pauline that he will "take it out there" and the proceeds to go from the consulting room to the kitchen and closes the door - something he has never done before. He starts to tell her that he is seeing a patient, but I think he is about to apologize when Louisa interrupts him to tell him about the emergency. Even when he arrives at the house - knowing it is an emergency - he again tries to apologize. I think he knew it was important to repair that rift with Louisa - even though he hasn't always recognized this.

Right, right. And you know, it's good that Danny was a complete idiot who couldn't on his own figure out that constantly immersing himself in wood dust was a problem, giving the development of his cough, and then the worsening of it. Thus, he has a medical emergency and DM is able to use medicine to keep realizing his purpose and his value to others--he gives excellent medical care and can save lives.

I wonder if this crisis--and a tension pneumothorax is a seriously life-threatenind emergent condition-helped DM get his head back on straight. After saving Danny, we see that DM is now rejecting his father, ignoring his mother and closing the door literally and figuratively on all his childhood dreams of being close to, and loved by, his parents.

He is now on his own, ready to live his own life and seek his own love and family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    If you have time this weekend watch:
    Series 2 Episode 6: The Family Way
    Director: Ben Bolt

Writers: Dominic Minghella & Edana Minghella

Martin's cold and difficult parents come to stay with him. He hasn't seen them for seven years, and is puzzled as to why they should turn up out of the blue. Mark and Julie get engaged. Danny Steel's lung collapses whilst renovating a house and Martin examines a woman with what she claims is a thyroid, but the results turn out to be rather different.

Special guests: John Woodvine & Claire Bloom

Like we couldn't tell almost from the first time we saw Maureen that she was pregnant! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Like we couldn't tell almost from the first time we saw Maureen that she was pregnant! :eek:

Well, you know, you sometimes have to b careful. Some people are just chubby in their stomach area. Wouldn't want to ask someone when they were due to be given a death stare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few observations:

1. Mark introduces himself to Christopher as the Doc's friend. This is before Martin makes it clear his feelings are unreciprocated.

2. Interesting to contrast and compare the Maureen/Roger unplanned unwed pregnancy to that of Louisa and Martin's, including Roger's response to the ultrasound photo.

3. DM tells his father regarding Portwenn: "I like it." I think this is the only time Martin says this.

4. Is everyone driving a silver car to Danny's mother's house (Danny, Doc, Louisa)?

5. Before Martin really gets the unconscionable blast from his mother, his dad demeans him for four things: a) his GP job is unimportant, b) Martin never did have any financial sense, c) DM can't get a girl ("you'd have to drug 'em to keep 'em"), and d) settling for working in a little backwater.

6. In fact, in this episode, it seems as if the Doc is scorned or attacked by almost everyone, including Danny, Joan, and Louisa - and, of course most notably, his horrible parents. Bad week for the Doc.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Not only does he attempt to apologize when he sees her, but when she calls the surgery with Danny's emergency, he tells Pauline that he will "take it out there" and the proceeds to go from the consulting room to the kitchen and closes the door - something he has never done before. He starts to tell her that he is seeing a patient, but I think he is about to apologize when Louisa interrupts him to tell him about the emergency. Even when he arrives at the house - knowing it is an emergency - he again tries to apologize. I think he knew it was important to repair that rift with Louisa - even though he hasn't always recognized this.

Thanks for pointing this out -- he really did want to apologize and explain to her, but even so, he can't resist the sarcastic zinger at the end -- "They have a history.
    We'll see him do this again in S2E8 where she is standing on the steps and he is attempting to find out where her relationship with Danny stands -- "are you waiting for a blessing from on high?"
    A few observations:

2. Interesting to contrast and compare the Maureen/Roger unplanned unwed pregnancy to that of Louisa and Martin's, including Roger's response to the ultrasound photo.

I think they do this "compare and contrast" thing very often. I agree, this was one of the highlights of the episode. Last week it was the triangles -- Danny, Martin and Louisa against Ross, Al and Pauline

You also get the sense, I think, that DM feels the irony of the comparison, without him saying a word. that's really good acting by MC.

Totally loved Maureen singing "You don't know me" while DM and Danny were talking outside the village hall. BTW, I thought Louisa was looking pretty rapt while listening to the song -- maybe it resonated with her too? part of the reason she showed up on the doorstep again, and just at the wrong time?
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Well, you know, you sometimes have to b careful. Some people are just chubby in their stomach area. Wouldn't want to ask someone when they were due to be given a death stare.

So true, so true! For those of us who early in life made that mistake one never makes it again!

Right now I have a friend chubby just like that, and she says she does, now and then, get people congratulating her and asking how far along she is. At this point she just answers--"I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat!". They will never make that same mistake again, either, no doubt. :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering about the prenatal care that LG was having: In S4E2 she mentioned to DM she was being cared for at Truo Hospital, subsequently finding out that Edith:mad: was assigned to her. But, of course, during S4 it was the doc who was looking after her and she only went to Truo for the scan. Then in S4E6, Molly the midwife turns up to show her the pool. If Louisa was planning on having the baby at Truo, why did Molly enter the picture? Also, when Molly first visited the doc to introduce herself and show him the list of pregnant women in PW, was the doc giving prenatal care to them (but not Louisa)? I have seen W&M and it appeared to me that the midwife does all the prenatal care and delivery and the doctor does not enter the picture except in unusal, not normal pregnancies? Is this the way it's done in England--especially in rural areas?
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://tv.uk.msn.com/news/car-insurer-drops-speeding-clunes-3

I wonder how long the suspension lasts? I would imagine at least a year - no actual driving by him in any of the DM filming. :confused::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

I wonder how long the suspension lasts? I would imagine at least a year - no actual driving by him in any of the DM filming. :confused::(

uh oh. That must sting.

Judging from how annoyed I've been with my husband (two speeding tickets in the last five years for which we're still paying higher insurance rates) I can only imagine Philippa's reaction.
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow that will make a dent on his comings and goings, he will just have to employ a driver!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Wow that will make a dent on his comings and goings, he will just have to employ a driver!

http://www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingban/tottingup/drivingbantottingup.htm

It looks like 6 months, unless unusual circumstances. He could have accumulated points over three years, and not all points are for speeding.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

NewPark wrote: »
    uh oh. That must sting.

Judging from how annoyed I've been with my husband (two speeding tickets in the last five years for which we're still paying higher insurance rates) I can only imagine Philippa's reaction.

Shall we start counting how many more 'behaving badly' references come from this?:rolleyes:
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall we start counting how many more 'behaving badly' references come from this?:rolleyes:

Oh no! And we know how much that annoys him when they continue to bring it up.

Somehow, I am not surprised that MC is a speeder with his personality, all the country driving he does, and probably a pretty nice car. And with all the driving all over this last year with 2 movies, the horse documentary and all the appearances for BHS (and who knows what other stuff) I'm also not surprised he has been caught several times.

But I'm not sorry he has been dropped from the insurance commercials. I didn't think they did much for him.
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could always use Chester his horse to ride around Port Wenn with his Doctor's bag strapped to his side in his suit that would be funny. He can always fall back on his qualification to drive a pony trap he got on his Islands of Britain film...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and there's the MBB reference. Seems a little unfair to picture him drinking when as far as I can figure he had four 3 point offenses over 3 years -- for speeding but not reckless driving or driving under the influence. Not saying speeding is good but each speeding offense could have earned him more than 3 points if he was way over the speed limit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about DM driving the Lexus in S6? Could they stretch the rules and say he is actually not "driving out in public" but that he is "driving as his part in DM?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    What about DM driving the Lexus in S6? Could they stretch the rules and say he is actually not "driving out in public" but that he is "driving as his part in DM?"

they'll have to film sequences in which he drives after mid-May, assuming his license suspended about a week ago and that the suspension lasts for 6 months.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a bit of clever editing I'm sure they will be able to use a double for any driving sequences should his ban still be in force when they start filming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    uh oh. That must sting.

I think there will always be a side of MC that wants to push the limits, no matter his many positive virtues - and, with his turning 50 having hit him somewhat hard, I wouldn't be surprised if he occasionally acts out in other ways. With the public favor that he craves comes public scrutiny - and here's a smart, talented, witty, empathic man who may be still trying to figure out who he is at middle age and just trying to live his life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    With a bit of clever editing I'm sure they will be able to use a double for any driving sequences should his ban still be in force when they start filming.

Good to hear from you Kernow19. I guess they keep an eye out for people in the public eye in England to break the law as they do here, then it is spashed over the news media. Here in New Jersey on the Garden State Highway which runs north and south closer to the eastern part, alot of people exceed the speed limit, in fact, if you stay within the speed limit you find people are passing you, considering you are a slow poke!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there will always be a side of MC that wants to push the limits, no matter his many positive virtues - and, with his turning 50 having hit him somewhat hard, I wouldn't be surprised if he occasionally acts out in other ways. With the public favor that he craves comes public scrutiny - and here's a smart, talented, witty, empathic man who may be still trying to figure out who he is at middle age and just trying to live his life.

And I also suspect that Martin Ellingham has a bit of a lead foot. Wouldn't that be an interesting storyline. Louisa running him out to house calls on the moor with JH tagging along in the backseat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys ever notice how teeny tiny those vials are that patients (like pregnant Maureen) have to wee into? :eek:
    Gosh, the vials that patients have had to spit into seemed bigger than the wee ones! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

I VOLUNTEER! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I VOLUNTEER! :D

Get in line :D:D
This discussion has been closed.