The Golden Girls (1985 - 1992)

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Hopefully they will show "The Golden Palace" first! Has any UK channel ever shown it? It usually gets aired as an eighth season everywhere else.

Living TV used to show it on a loop immediately after its showings of the Golden Girls ended - as though it was, indeed, simply the 8th series.
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Mandy73 wrote: »
    The episode where Rose says "heck!" is the one where Miles tells her that he's really Nick and in the Witness Protection Programme. Can't remember the episode title even though it was on last week:o

And has anyone else realised that in the kitchen scenes Dorothy is always seated in the middle, with the other three seated at either end or at the table by the fridge or on a stool?

Been trying to recollect episodes where she sits elsewhere but can't... And it's going to bug me!

Thank you!! x
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Awww I can't believe it's coming to an end soon either :( I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them. Although it has definitely put me on the road to buying them. In the last few episodes, the scenes that are cut are very clear and I really want to know what I'm missing! :D

Here's hoping TLC got the rights to Golden Palace.

Imagine if they got the rights to Empty Nest :eek::D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minnimo wrote: »
    Awww I can't believe it's coming to an end soon either :( I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them. Although it has definitely put me on the road to buying them. In the last few episodes, the scenes that are cut are very clear and I really want to know what I'm missing! :D

Here's hoping TLC got the rights to Golden Palace.

Imagine if they got the rights to Empty Nest :eek::D

They edited the initials of Blanche yesterday unless I looked away at the wrong moment.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    TLC are stupid, I just watch the episodes on Youtube in all their uncut glory :cool:
    Forum Member
    Sunny B wrote: »
    TLC are stupid, I just watch the episodes on Youtube in all their uncut glory :cool:

I'm just happy they show them, and have introduced them to many new people I am sure. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just happy they show them, and have introduced them to many new people I am sure. :)

But why cut out the main gags?

Blanche name being revealed as BED, Sophia and her sister's fabulous rant at each other amongst others.
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, my favorite quote from Dorothy still makes me laugh to this day and judging from posts on the internet, it's popular with several other people, but it's in the episode where Dorothy is friends with a priest and he comes over to the house, Blanche tells Dorothy that the Priest has eyes for her.. but anyway, the line is when Dorothy comes out in her outfit and says "I look like the mother of a Solid Gold dancer".

"Solid Gold" was a very popular TV show in the mid 80s which did a music countdown of the hits of the week set to dancers in sequined flashy outfits and shirts... and big 80s hair. Very 80s. :D
  • Mandy73Mandy73 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Thank you!! x

You're welcome! x

And sidebar: I also HATE the way that TLC edit random chunks of scenes, sometimes omitting scenes altogether :mad:

Tweeted them expressing my approval, but they just replied back saying thanks for pointing it out :rolleyes: They also didn't reply to my recent tweet asking if they were going to show The Golden Palace or repeat TGG.

The new channel Lifetime is due in the UK soon and as that was also home of TGG in The States, maybe they'll show it there too - and uncut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    Okay, my favorite quote from Dorothy still makes me laugh to this day and judging from posts on the internet, it's popular with several other people, but it's in the episode where Dorothy is friends with a priest and he comes over to the house, Blanche tells Dorothy that the Priest has eyes for her.. but anyway, the line is when Dorothy comes out in her outfit and says "I look like the mother of a Solid Gold dancer".

"Solid Gold" was a very popular TV show in the mid 80s which did a music countdown of the hits of the week set to dancers in sequined flashy outfits and shirts... and big 80s hair. Very 80s. :D

Chuck: Are you tired of missing out on the good things in life - family vacations, jet packs, Solid Gold dancers?

Homer [to Marge]: There's only three left in the world.

:D
    Forum Member

Me being one off them :) I'd never even seen the show before when TLC started showing it on 1st May so I am glad they started showing it and i've been hooked ever since! Don't wanna watch them though for the first time when they are cut :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the funniest episodes were on tonight. All on top form. Looks like we're onto season 6 :(
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Two of the funniest episodes were on tonight. All on top form. Looks like we're onto season 6 :(

Episodes 3 & 4 from Season 7 were on last night so we're on the final season. :(
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »

I think its season 7 now... Sadly... Means it could be coming to an end soon :(
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many fans of the Golden Girls also enjoy Birds of a Feather (now running on the new freeview channel, Drama). They borrowed many ideas from the Golden Girls, especially with Dorien being modelled on Blanche.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    Many fans of the Golden Girls also enjoy Birds of a Feather (now running on the new freeview channel, Drama). They borrowed many ideas from the Golden Girls, especially with Dorien being modelled on Blanche.

The show did seem to borrow some plotlines and character types from TGG, but the latter was a far superior show. Birds of a Feather just wasn't in the same league (though it had its moments).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Golden Girls was one of the greatest shows ever produced. End of :)
  • jobbie8jobbie8 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Tivo epg goes up to 2 weeks, so 2 weeks today, the last two episodes are to be shown. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see what TLC will show in the time slot, hopefully back to the start, I never get tired of watching GG.
    Forum Member
    I'm all for going back to the start but i'd like them to show "The Golden Palace" first! :D
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show!

Does anyone know the ep where Rose is really annoyed so the girls tell her to let loose and get it out of get system and the most rudest word she comes up with is "heck" I love that scene but can't for the life of me remember the ep...have tried searching the net and YouTube to no avail :(

One of the rudest comments came from Dorothy - "Stan couldn't count to 21 without standing stark naked in front of the mirror".:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the final episode according to my TIVO guide they are still showing The Golden Girls on 6 Sept but it doesn't give a description.
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    One of the rudest comments came from Dorothy - "Stan couldn't count to 21 without standing stark naked in front of the mirror".:D

I remember that one!! :D and having to explain it to person watching with me lol. Would do eye rolling smiley but don't know code for mobile!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    From tonight:

Rose has a blind date with a seemingly depressed man:

Rose: Where are you from?

Arnie: Oh what's the point? Life is one bottomless pit of despair!

Rose: Let me guess. New Jersey?

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good News - Golden Girls goes back to series 1 on 6 September :)
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Good News - Golden Girls goes back to series 1 on 6 September :)

That's great. Although sad because its not golden palace :(