ashjfashjf Posts: 1,097
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, i bet Sky will complain again and try to stop it.

the one thing that stops me going for it is that Talk Talk have got their big feet in it.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article7131232.ece
    Sky and Virgin Media, which provide their own catch-up services and TV set-top boxes, reiterated their concerns about the licence fee-funded project yesterday. A spokesman for Virgin said: “As they stand, the Canvas proposals risk severely restricting competition and innovation in the UK’s digital media landscape.”

A spokesman for BSkyB, the satellite broadcaster that is 39.1 per cent-owned by News Corporation, parent company of The Times, said that the project should not be financed by licence fee-payers. BSkyB is likely to raise state aid complaints if it appears that the BBC is shouldering the costs of developing the venture for its partners, but will await the BBC Trust’s decision.

Despite clearing the joint venture as compliant with Britain’s merger regime, the Office of Fair Trading did say that the project could infringe other aspects of competition law.

Mike Darcey, BSkyB’s chief operating officer, said this year: “Rather than replicating what would otherwise occur naturally, the BBC could put the licence fee to better use by creating outstanding content and, importantly, making it available without discrimination on all platforms.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FT is reporting Canvas may be delayed until the spring with the regulatory process took longer than expected, due to waiting for the BBC Trust approval in June, attacks by British Sky Broadcasting, Virgin Media.The arrival of Google TV, Sony and Samsung having their own internet TV platforms.
    The Canvas programme director said that achieving a 2010 launch was “very challenging” and they are looking for an eighth partner to the venture.
    The Guardian did not mention delays but reports
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/21/charles-dunstone-project-canvas
    Charles Dunstone, the chairman of Project Canvas partner TalkTalk, has dismissed criticism of the video-on-demand service by BSkyB and Virgin Media but expects to face further scrutiny before getting its final go-ahead.

Dunstone admitted that there had been arguments over the strategic direction of Project Canvas among the seven partners in the BBC-backed joint venture, but said the eventual goal was clear
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canvas say it's target market could be up to 7m customers and according to the Financial Times seem to have registered Youview as it's working brand!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a225244/project-canvas-targets-7m-customers.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Canvas say it's target market could be up to 7m customers and according to the Financial Times seem to have registered Youview as it's working brand!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a225244/project-canvas-targets-7m-customers.html

that is if it goes ahead, already Five have dropped out, how many more will drop out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    that is if it goes ahead, already Five have dropped out, how many more will drop out?
    Five has dropped out as a partner as it goes up for sale but may still provide content for canvas depending on who buys Five!
    http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-five-bails-from-canvas-as-bertelsmann-looks-for-sale/
    Five said it had taken the decision to pull out of Project Canvas pending a review of its digital investment strategy.

“We continue to support the objectives of Project Canvas and despite withdrawing our interest in the venture we believe it will be a critical part of our strategy for reaching consumers in the future,” said Charles Constable, director of strategy at Five.

“Five struggled to convince Bertelsmann [RTL’s majority owner] it was a valuable thing to do,” added one source with knowledge of the situation.

Richard Halton, director at Project Canvas, said that the venture had received “excellent support” from Five, which he hoped would continue to work “as a content provider to the platform in the future”.

RTL is understood to have whittled down a list of parties interested in buying Five to a shortlist of about six.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Five has dropped out as a partner as it goes up for sale but may still provide content for canvas depending on who buys Five!
    http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-five-bails-from-canvas-as-bertelsmann-looks-for-sale/

I seen that,

The part that said
    Five said it had taken the decision to pull out of Project Canvas pending a review of its digital investment strategy.

I thought digital was suppose to be the future. What is worrying is who will buy Five, will Sky get their mits into it?

With the way things are going and all companies cutting back, how long will it be before someone else pulls out of Project Canvas?
    The problem is there is no one on board that will get people excited. Project canvas have all the same people as Freeview, so no doubt will have the same content.

Endless repeats of Time team, as much as I like Time team, you can only cope with so many repeats.
  • Options
    borisd0borisd0 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I'm suspicious that $Ky are behind a few of the decisions that FIVEare making, I hope OFCOM are watching. I maybe wrong but it seems that way,

Since Canvas will offer a pay per view etc option, it will generate an income strean for some publishers so I expect it will not be the same as freeview and will be widely welcomed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    borisd0 wrote: »
    I'm suspicious that $Ky are behind a few of the decisions that FIVEare making, I hope OFCOM are watching. I maybe wrong but it seems that way,

Since Canvas will offer a pay per view etc option, it will generate an income strean for some publishers so I expect it will not be the same as freeview and will be widely welcomed.

i think I will stay away from Canvas, from what I have read it is just going to be one big google/Phorm style advertising jobbie.

Adverts i don't mind, but when they want to know everything about you, then I tend to stay away or find some way to block it.