Options

Learner to Drive at a Snail's Pace

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    I suggest you get a different instructor, you should only be in first when moving off if you've came to a complete stop.

That's exactly what he told me during my first few lessons, and said we should do roundabouts in 2nd... then all of a sudden when I get to roundabouts he tells me 1st all of the time, when I don't think there's any need for it :confused:

I'm looking around for another instructor anyway. He forgets what we've done the previous lesson and gets me mixed up with his other students.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I HATED roundabouts at first. Still not great as 99% of people never bother to indicate at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol my instructor always had to tell me to slow down :o
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might be on their first or second lessons. Or be really nervous.

Would you prefer them to make errors at speed?

id prefer them to be more confident on the back roads before venturing out on the main A roads

and as for driving in the rush hour, they must be daft paying all that money to sit in traffic and learning nothing
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex came from London and he got very abusive if I was driving round London and went anything UNDER 30mph which I thought was the speed limit in built up areas... Yet oddly, when driving round here in the countryside, he went mental that I was going 'too fast' - after we were on National Speed Limit stretches of road. It made me wonder if all Londoners deliberately drive above the speed limit in town, and half the speed they are meant to in the countryside?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id prefer them to be more confident on the back roads before venturing out on the main A roads

Definitely, I was stuck behind a learner once doing 30 on a 60 when 60 was easily managed. Very annoying indeed!

Also experienced someone doing 40 on that same road. They did have the decency to drive as close as possible to the kerb though, allowing others to pass easily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I was learning, I was always encouraged to drive at the legal speed limit, if appropriate for the road conditions.

Obviously, if someone's at a very early stage in the learning to drive process, they won't have the confidence to go at the speed limit, and should only really be on the back roads.
  • Options
    rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My instructor was awesome, had me going at 70 on country roads in my 3rd lesson, before I had even got used to clutch control :s

Generally I dont like being behind slow learner drivers, but I wont tailgate/horn/flash at them, it will just make them panic and more likely to make a mistake, thus cause delays even further. Most instructors are sympathetic and will get them to pull over if the conditions allow, so you can always get past w/o intimidating them.
  • Options
    LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with learners going slowly, unless it's on one particular road which you cannot overtake on :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What annoys me is I go 45 in a 40 zone and I still get glared at by those overtaking. As if you need to get anywhere at 12 in that much of a hurry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My ex came from London and he got very abusive if I was driving round London and went anything UNDER 30mph which I thought was the speed limit in built up areas... Yet oddly, when driving round here in the countryside, he went mental that I was going 'too fast' - after we were on National Speed Limit stretches of road. It made me wonder if all Londoners deliberately drive above the speed limit in town, and half the speed they are meant to in the countryside?

What a nasty man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I've not noticed that the learners here go excessively slowly.
    They also tend to indicate better and more often than certain other drivers as well.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly what he told me during my first few lessons, and said we should do roundabouts in 2nd... then all of a sudden when I get to roundabouts he tells me 1st all of the time, when I don't think there's any need for it :confused:

I'm looking around for another instructor anyway. He forgets what we've done the previous lesson and gets me mixed up with his other students.

I would have though that you should use the right gear for the speed of the car. In most situations, as long as the car keeps moving it would be 2nd gear. Only selecting 1st when the car drops below the speed that the engine can cope with in 2nd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I try to feel empathy for learners; I must have been pretty awful on the roads when I first started!

When I was in town the other day, I witnessed a learner going down the road near my university (at what looked like a normal speed, definitely not too slowly in any case) being tailgated by a VERY irate woman in a jaguar who had sped down the road and caught up with her at the traffic lights; she was beeping at this poor girl and gesticulating really rudely! At one point she tried to overtake her at another set of traffic lights where the boyfriend and I were waiting to cross, but the learner just wasn't going slowly enough :p (not to mention that there were cars approaching the other way anyway!). Needless to say, her failed attempt to overtake her seemed to reinforce her anger, because the hand gestures and beeping got more wild. No one could believe their eyes! At the end of the day, she wasn't driving an emergency vehicle; what gave her the right to act like that?
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I am currently learning to drive and one of the things my instructor often tells me is to be a bit braver when driving. I think as a learner, a lot of regular drivers simply don't drive properly or well (e.g. approaching roundabouts or junctions - as I am learning I do things by the letter ;)) which makes me as a learner want to be more cautious around them!