Options

Coronation Street pulled from Friday's schedules

Comments

• Options
    fryup32fryup32 Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    It will not interfere with any schedule. ITV will simply resume seamlessly at the next allotted slot when they choose to recommence. The only thing different will be the episode that was meant to be shown originally at that slot. There is no catchup involved.

Naturally they may choose to realign the episodes later by including an extra on a Sunday for a few weeks, so far it is only three episodes. Maybe they will just leave it at that and have the episodes as a buffer or not make any for a week or so.

There really is no panic. I would not interfere with any schedules especially with the World Cup build-up and advertising revenues. Afterall money has been tight for ITV recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm going to get the self-righteous 'out of respect' party jumping on me for this, but I really do think it's getting ridiculous now. There will never be a 'right' time to air it, they've just got to bite the bullet and go for it.

They haven't got room on the schedule over the weekend to air any episodes, so it's bound to be Monday now.

It's a TV show mate. Its just a flipping TV show...

LOTS of REAL people have been affected by a REAL mass killing.

You think your precious TV show can wait a couple of days?

Its just a TV show, but which COULD hurt a lot of REAL people.

Please, get some perspective on the real world vs your entertainment. I'm sure you can find something else to do.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Superior wrote: »

Please, get some perspective on the real world vs your entertainment. I'm sure you can find something else to do.

I really don't think your response fits in with context of the post you have quoted at all to be honest.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I think a couple of people have got their wires crossed. It was confirmed that the move to 9pm was not because the episodes had to be aired post-watershed, but merely to create a week-long 'event' with Corrie and BGT nightly.

Well that's what we thought, but Kim Crowther says slightly differently: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/scoop/a222874/corries-kim-crowther-talks-siege-week.html
    Are you proud that they're your swansong?
    "I don't know how much has been made of this, but the timing of these episodes has just fallen like it. They told me that they had a special week of scheduling and they asked me to make it before I left, so I did! Luckily, it fell at a time where I was able to finish off with storylines and scripts when filming began on Siege Week and concentrate on production. I was very hands-on with these episodes as I had more time to dedicate."

Has the 9pm slot enabled you to do anything with the episodes that you couldn't do at 8.30pm?
    "Yeah, definitely. There are shots in there that couldn't have been shot the way they are any earlier. However, I still think it remains Corrie. There's no swearing and it certainly doesn't suddenly turn into a different animal. That was my main concern at the time - I had to make sure that we kept true to the show, so as to not turn off the loyal viewers."

The episodes will have to be re-edited a bit if it was to go out at 7:30pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miker15 wrote: »
    Perhaps they should pull all the films that are being broadcast at the moment with guns in or any other programs for that fact!

Sky movies would be off air!

I don't watch Corrie, but even I've picked up that Tony is going on a murderous rampage to get revenge on the people he feels has caused his downfall - it's not a passing resemblance to the events in Cumbria, it's holding a mirror up to them and if you can't see that then maybe you should have a chat with the 9 year old kid who saw a man on a bike get his face blown off and get some perspective.

It's a soap FFS and it'll be shown next week all the same, does waiting 5 days really cause you that much pain?
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think there's any need to be rude about it. Pete is as entitled to his opinion as you are, and how in the name of god can a TV show hurt people?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By this i assume you mean relatives of the victims in Cumbria because ATM they really will be tunning into Coronation street wont they :rolleyes:
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's any need to be rude about it. Pete is as entitled to his opinion as you are, and how in the name of god can a TV show hurt people?:confused:

There has been a lot of rudeness and name calling such as fruit cakes and deranged toawrds people wondering when their fave soap will be shown again.

I think it is a poor reflection on the posters making such accusations. It's all a bit nasty really.

We all have opinions and they should all be accepted and not ridiculed by others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    I really don't think your response fits in with context of the post you have quoted at all to be honest.

Considering how many posts so alike that in the various Corrie threads at the moment, a pre recorded message saying the same kind of thing playing into the threads at various intervals would be easier and less time I think! ' it is just a soap, it is just a soap' yes we get the idea.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i totally understand the reason for doing it, im totally fine with it, but all these mixed messages on when its going to be shown is getting silly.
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Muffin999 wrote: »
    i totally understand the reason for doing it, im totally fine with it, but all these mixed messages on when its going to be shown is getting silly.

I agree 100%. Let them make a firm decision and say what day it is going to start to be reshown, rather than playing it by ear day-by-day , even if it means it's not on until next week.
  • Options
    A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member

Whether it airs today or whether it airs next week (and these episodes WILL air given their expense) its still going to be distressing for someone caught up in the events. The best thing would have been to hold it off for a day out of respect and then give a warning at the start of Thursday's episode informing viewers that the scenes featuring gun use were written and filmed many months ago so any co-incidence with the tragic events in Cumbria was not intended nor deliberate.

Either that or not at all because there will be NO right time to transmit those scenes for someone effected by it.

I wouldnt wish to downplay or marginalise the scale of this tragedy but holding Corrie off the air isnt going to bring those people back nor will it lessen the grief of their loved ones, it'll be at worst in bad taste but the last thing anybody associated with the creation of these episodes would have wanted is to distress the audience. That wasent the intent of it. Nobody condones or glorifies senseless loss of life. Not least Coronation Street or ITV (for all its percieved sins :rolleyes: ).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I am beginning to wonder if perhaps Tony Gordon goes on the rampage in The Street. That would make it just a bit close to the events earlier in the week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrScrewy wrote: »
    By this i assume you mean relatives of the victims in Cumbria because ATM they really will be tunning into Coronation street wont they :rolleyes:

Ok not the victims but why not the people of Cumbria?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gamercraig wrote: »
    I agree 100%. Let them make a firm decision and say what day it is going to start to be reshown, rather than playing it by ear day-by-day , even if it means it's not on until next week.

I agree, no one knows if it is on tonight or not, it needs to be set in stone and stuck to now, this is getting silly now, there is nothing yet on the ITV site to say either way. Come on ITV, just let the fans know one way or the other, and let us know fir sure when all the missed episodes will be shown.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am beginning to wonder if perhaps Tony Gordon goes on the rampage in The Street. That would make it just a bit close to the events earlier in the week.

There was a picture shown in the papers and in the soap magazines of Hayley lying motionless on the street outside the factory. Maybe a little too close for comfort I suppose.
  • Options
    fryup32fryup32 Posts: 130
    Forum Member

Correct. The episode that was scheduled for the day of the Cumbria murders involved a murder with a firearm. So I guess its a tough call. I would not like to see the episode re-edited but wait for when it restarts again.

"....The episodes that were not screened featured the use of guns and the episode that was to have been shown on Tuesday would have seen one character killed....."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/181105-coronation-street-pulled-from-tv-schedule-for-third-night/

I think they meant to say Wednesday episode as that was the day of the murders.
  • Options
    MandyXZMandyXZ Posts: 86,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miker15 wrote: »
    Well that sucks, on the tv this afternoon before the news it said coronation street was returning at 9pm

I heard that as well.

Have just scanned through ITV sky programmes for tonight, Coronation Street is there, starts at 9:00pm.

I'm confused, is it on or is it not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taken from DS headlines

Coronation Street logo
    ITV soap Coronation Street has been postponed for a third consecutive day, it has been announced.

The commercial broadcaster's decision to pull the soap's Siege Week episodes from its schedules comes as the Cumbrian shooting massacre continues to dominate headlines.

Harry Hill's The Best of TV Burp will once again be sandwiched between Britain's Got Talent's live performance and results shows.

Meanwhile, Sunday's omnibus has been replaced by the 1960s film adaptation of Pollyanna.

It is still yet to be confirmed when the outstanding Siege Week episodes will air.

On Wednesday, ITV shelved Corrie's fourth episode of the week, which would have seen convicted murderer Tony Gordon continue with his plans to exact revenge on those responsible for his downfall.

Yesterday, ITV took the decision to postpone transmission for a second day.

More soon.

Im assuming it will more than likely be off next week as well then as it's still gonna be fresh then as it is now
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    fryup32 wrote: »
    Correct. The episode that was scheduled for the day of the Cumbria murders involved a murder with a firearm. So I guess its a tough call. I would not like to see the episode re-edited but wait for when it restarts again.

"....The episodes that were not screened featured the use of guns and the episode that was to have been shown on Tuesday would have seen one character killed....."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/181105-coronation-street-pulled-from-tv-schedule-for-third-night/

It wasn't cancelled on Tuesday.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From Digital Spy:

BREAKING NEWS: Corrie postponed for third day. More soon.

More here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a223546/coronation-street-pulled-for-third-day.html

Who cares! Why is this breaking news its just some crappy soap . That aint breaking news. Gary Coleman was and it annoys me how DS seem to care more about some reality show as its big headline than a death of a much loved actor.

As far as this siege week goes its stupid. Show it and if people dont like it tough. People have to make their minds up on what they want to watch they shouldnt be forced to watch what we re told to watch. Just because something happens in real life doesnt mean oh we ll offend people watching fiction shows. America didnt do this when the twin towers went down when Joan Rivers was making fun of thew deaths it was still broadcast on tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Who cares! Why is this breaking news its just some crappy soap . That aint breaking news. Gary Coleman was and it annoys me how DS seem to care more about some reality show as its big headline than a death of a much loved actor.

As far as this siege week goes its stupid. Show it and if people dont like it tough. People have to make their minds up on what they want to watch they shouldnt be forced to watch what we re told to watch. Just because something happens in real life doesnt mean oh we ll offend people watching fiction shows. America didnt do this when the twin towers went down when Joan Rivers was making fun of thew deaths it was still broadcast on tv.

Um, this is the soap subforum, so fans of the shows will talk about it, you may think that soaps are crappy, if so, perhaps there is a better fitting subforum that you may like to frequent? :)
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    All they had to do in the first place was edit out the shooting, there would be plenty of story left. Anyhow, what about next week when all the funerals are on? Its never gonna come back...
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are damned if they pull it, and would have been damned if they didn't.

Look what happened to the BBC...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a223515/bbc-apologises-over-radio-4-gun-drama.html

If it had have been shown there would have been "an outcry"

What do you expect them to do?