• mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Predictions for splash I'm going for about 5.8m I reckon
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The RAJARs are out a week on Thursday, 31 January(
    The TV ratings will be overshadowed that day. I literally cannot wait to see the figures for the new R1 breakfast show. Things are so bad here in Northants with our limited FM choice that even Heart is preferable. :eek: :(

I'd be amazed if there isn't a hefty drop for Grimmy. I have no idea how hefty though. And presumably R1 are expecting a drop of some kind, so it'd be interesting to know what sort of audience they are expecting. I can see there being a lot of spin along the lines of "listener figures are down overall but up amongst younger listeners." It'd be great if the younger listeners shunned it too and it was down on Moyles, but probably won't happen.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    You've been busy then! :D

:D Perish the thought of so many kids! <shudder>
    James J wrote: »
    Found the synopsis for Christmas Day Ratings Thread episode.

Brilliant. I'd watch :D
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The TV ratings will be overshadowed that day. I literally cannot wait to see the figures for the new R1 breakfast show. Things are so bad here in Northants with our limited FM choice that even Heart is preferable. :eek: :(

I'd be amazed if there isn't a hefty drop for Grimmy. I have no idea how hefty though. And presumably R1 are expecting a drop of some kind, so it'd be interesting to know what sort of audience they are expecting. I can see there being a lot of spin along the lines of "listener figures are down overall but up amongst younger listeners." It'd be great if the younger listeners shunned it too and it was down on Moyles, but probably won't happen.

I get the feeling they will 'hold up well', mainly because of the lack of choice in many areas. Losing younger listeners is the only thing which won't be able to be spun positively.

It'll be interesting if the papers run negative articles as so far they have been nothing but sycophantic, as of course they all hated Moyles so Grimmy is therefore better by default.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure in these modern times, the BBC does know what is going on with its Radio Breakfast shows, be it iPlayer listens / streams, or Twitter, both may not crude (certainly true for Twitter) but they will give the BBC some idea what is going on.

However even if total listeners go down, as long as they dont drop in the target demo the BBC can spin it, infact if the % of listeners in the target demo is up, then the BBC will be able to say that the show is better targeting the demo, something commercial radio station, are more focused on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I am sure in these modern times, the BBC does know what is going on with its Radio Breakfast shows, be it iPlayer listens / streams, or Twitter, both may not crude (certainly true for Twitter) but they will give the BBC some idea what is going on.

However even if total listeners go down, as long as they dont drop in the target demo the BBC can spin it, infact if the % of listeners in the target demo is up, then the BBC will be able to say that the show is better targeting the demo, something commercial radio station, are more focused on.

iPlayer listens will definally be down, as there is generally nothing worth listening back to, even if you like the show, most links are only a few mins in and out of songs. If you missed it it wouldn't be a big deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    iPlayer listens will definally be down, as there is generally nothing worth listening back to, even if you like the show, most links are only a few mins in and out of songs. If you missed it it wouldn't be a big deal.
    that is a good point, the promo material did have "with added music" on it.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you still using your "critics hated line" even after it was pointed out that at least one critic hates everything. Twitter loved it which is usually your benchmark of success.

Why are people so excited that Great Night Out doesn't seem to be doing well, would they prefer another police drama instead? You can never tell what people here actually do watch and what sort of programmes they actually do like!

I for one am disappointed that Great Night Out hasn't proved successful. I have been waiting for ITV to come up with new drama formats and when they try them they fail. I think the only way for these dramas to get noticed and succeed is to shake up the entire schedules. Yes their soaps perform consistently solidly, but ITV is viewed by most as largely soaps and reality. If you don't like those genres then you are unlikely to tune into the channel to actually watch something that might be appealing to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Animal Antics looks quite similar to the Planet's Funniest Animals.

The difference being that that was a US import ITV used as a filler at 2pm in the afternoon or on ITV2 at 3am, not in prime time.
    Forum Member

The difference being that that was a US import ITV used as a filler at 2pm in the afternoon or on ITV2 at 3am, not in prime time.

I'm watching the timely Winterwatch-branded special on BBC Two - quite a brainwave by the Beeb to play out a 1963 documentary (presented by Cliff Michelmore and others) about the Big Freeze of that year.

Brits love programmes about the weather, and this is a welcome treat in the schedules - it could beat Tim Brooke-Taylor and Richard Hammond.

EDIT: it was billed in the Radio Times and therefore planned some time ago, so it's good fortune that the show is airing during snowy weather across much of the UK.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Right slot, wrong channel. I gather it ended up on BBC1 because CBBC and CBeebies had a furious row over who should screen it. They both wanted the other to have it.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I'm watching the timely Winterwatch-branded special on BBC Two - quite a brainwave by the Beeb to play out a 1963 documentary (presented by Cliff Michelmore and others) about the Big Freeze of that year.

Brits love programmes about the weather, and this is a welcome treat in the schedules - it could beat Tim Brooke-Taylor and Richard Hammond.

EDIT: it was billed in the Radio Times and therefore planned some time ago, so it's good fortune that the show is airing during snowy weather across much of the UK.
    Missed that one. Hope it's on iPlayer, but it might not be if it's one from the archives.

62/63 was an absolutely extraordinary winter for cold I'm told, surpassed only by 46/47. I was alive for neither.

I bet this doc makes all the mayhem caused by our current 5cm look all the more silly!
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Great Night Out I'd suggest the greatest problem it has at this stage might be that its an hour long. I think its much easier to make the case for a repeat run and trying to grow an audience with a 30 minute comedy than an hour long comedy drama. Ultimately what ITV really need on the comedy front is to find a good 30 minute sitcom and then keep plugging away with it. They can grow an audience for that and I'm just not convinced they can for an hour long comedy drama.

In other news any word on how Sky's early hours showing of the Fringe series finale did? Predictably the numbers weren't great in the US.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Yes that it remains very healthy! Last year against no American Idol the same episode had a 3.5 (Fox had the Finder at 9 after a one hour Idol). So a 3.0 against American idol is pretty decent given that they share a similar skew. Big Bang repeating well is hardly news.
    That's some incredible spin. In no way, shape or form is Grey's Anatomy getting a 3 in the demo proof that its still very healthy. Equally that it got beaten by a Big Bang Theory repeat doesn't paint a pretty picture and remember that repeat was also against American Idol and airing in a slot with fewer viewers available. That Grey's can't muster more than a 3 for an original episode is not a good sign regardless of whether it was airing against American Idol.
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    In other news any word on how Sky's early hours showing of the Fringe series finale did? Predictably the numbers weren't great in the US.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=63682021&highlight=fringe#post63682021
    Forum Member
    Missed that one. Hope it's on iPlayer, but it might not be if it's one from the archive.

Not sure if it will be available later, but if you go on iPlayer before it finishes at 18:30 you can do a Live Re-Start and go back to the beginning. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well-made, gimmick-free documentary with spiffingly posh BBC accents. Love the incidental music. It seems that all black-and-white documentraies used the same composer who just sent them all the same piece of music.:D

Programme produced by Anthony Jay, the co-writer of Yes, Prime Minister.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So potentially a huge number of available viewers tonight - but little on offer from BBC1 and ITV. I guess some of those unwatched Christmas DVDs might get an outing tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/18/saturday-evening-tv-never-been-so-bad
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So potentially a huge number of available viewers tonight - but little on offer from BBC1 and ITV. I guess some of those unwatched Christmas DVDs might get an outing tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/18/saturday-evening-tv-never-been-so-bad

Great article there by the Guardian
    "It's freezing, everybody is broke – and between the hours of 5:30pm and 8:30pm tomorrow, television will become a terrifying post-apocalyptic wasteland where Splash! is best thing on"

Brilliant! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Ken
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expected there to be a lack of boost to the shows last night; the episode threads were no greater than normal and, while it's not a great source, they can be used as an indicator of a swerve in ratings. It's a shame for Great Night Out though; I think it's great though it strikes me as a friends version of Friday Night Dinner which went into decline in the second series.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Interestingly, I note that Great Night Out last week went from 3.51m (15.7%) live to 4.69m (16.1%) in the officials [inc +1] - a good timeshift. Maybe the slot is completely wrong?

Possibly. Maybe it'll see an uplift after next week once Celebrity Big Brother goes off air? I think it deserves better than it's getting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant argue with that comment from the Guardian either, wish I had a Death in Paradise S1 boxset right now
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Brilliant! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Ken
    To be honest, whilst the article was mildly amusing in places, I'm tempted to upgrade tonight's TV choices if The Grauniad doesn't approve. It's become such a whiny stuffy publication lately. No wonder they are losing readers hand over fist and have to keep upping the cover price every 5 minutes.

No doubt regardless of whatever else might be on, MG's TV highlight for this Saturday, next Saturday and the Saturday after that will be Borgen on BBC4 anyway. I'm shocked other programmes being broadcast have even been acknowledged!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't there a time when Blockbusters was screened 6 days a week on ITV (Monday to Saturday)? Something BBC1 and ITV1 should have considered for Pointless or The Chase.

My mum's viewing tonight:
    5.30 Wheel Of Fortune (Challenge)
    6.00 Play Your Cards Right (Challenge)
    6.30 Dad's Army (BBC2)
    7.00 You've Been Framed (ITV+1) (Nearly typed ITV1+1 there:o)
    8.00 In It To Win It (BBC1)
    8.50 Casualty (BBC1)

Once upon a time Casualty would have been a shoehorn for 14m or more on a night like this. At the very least it should be producing 7m tonight. Under 5m last week was a tut-tut figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, whilst the article was mildly amusing in places, I'm tempted to upgrade tonight's TV choices if The Grauniad doesn't approve. It's become such a whiny stuffy publication lately. No wonder they are losing readers hand over fist and have to keep upping the cover price every 5 minutes.

No doubt regardless of whatever else might be on, MG's TV highlight for this Saturday, next Saturday and the Saturday after that will be Borgen on BBC4 anyway. I'm shocked other programmes being broadcast have even been acknowledged!

Oh dear, someone's taken offence at the Guardian's dismissive attitude to Channel 5.;)

Operation Daybreak and an NCIS double-bill not exactly the most inviting of Saturday night line-ups.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I don't buy the Guardian or any newspaper any more. The journalism in them these days is minimal. Thank god for the BBC News website.

The newspapers haven't got long left. They might have longer if they improved the quality. The Independent is the best now I reckon.

Ken
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Oh dear, someone's taken offence at the Guardian's dismissive attitude to Channel 5.;)

Operation Daybreak and an NCIS double-bill not exactly the most inviting of Saturday night line-ups.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of NCIS. Stuart Heritage appears as a panelist on Bit On The Side from time to time, so I rolled my eyes at his daft comment. Biting the hand that feeds, very smart move. He'll take their cash but then put them down like everyone else to try and get a cheap laugh in his lousy column. Had to laugh that a colleague of his described Justified as "amazing" in the comments section, a prog that airs exclusively in the UK on 5USA.

I disagree with his dismissive stance of BBC2 as well. There's nothing wrong with the schedule they are putting out tonight at all. A much loved classic comedy that still rates superbly well. Live sport to anchor the evening. And a very highly rated film in Doubt. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. But it didn't fit with the theme of his column to acknowledge this.
This discussion has been closed.