Options

Will/can The Spice Girls ever launch a Take That style comeback??

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I often wonder if The girls can eve launch a Take That style comeback.
I mean with new music and tour to go with it. What Take That have done since the comeback is amazing and I think the only other 90's group who could do it is Spice Girls.

However I think the girls are perfect business women and know what they were doing during the The Spice Girls ,make the money quick and get out whilst still on Top. I feel the group could of comeback many times but clearly has to be right for them.

The group could return without Posh and would be very much be like Take That without Jason. It could be case that the girls don't want to make a new album just the odd appearance every now and again but I think there is at least one good new album left in the girls and with the right Music and promo could be a big hit across the world.

I wasn't a fan of the Greatest hits tour as it was nothing but a money making project and the single " Headlines" was a huge let down but if they would make a new album then I would very much support it.

What do you guys reckon??

Comments

• Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Can't see it beyond a very lame cash-in anniversary type of concert.

Take That had Barlow who I'm not a fan of musically most of the time but he does have musical talent and a love of music and I would guess he is the driving force behind Take That's continued existence.

Without that musical desire there seems little to motivate them unless they are very low on cash and that won't be a problem for at least 2 of them (I would guess).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it beyond a very lame cash-in anniversary type of concert.

Take That had Barlow who I'm not a fan of musically most of the time but he does have musical talent and a love of music and I would guess he is the driving force behind Take That's continued existence.

Without that musical desire there seems little to motivate them unless they are very low on cash and that won't be a problem for at least 2 of them (I would guess).

Although I agree with you I don't think any of the Girls are low on cash. we have never heard any news on any of them running short and maybe that's why we have not seen a new album??. It is just a shame though as we only ever had 3 albums by them. There was whole album scrapped with Geri on after she left and that will still be around somewhere .

Even without a Gary Barlow song writer in the group they would be able to produce new hit singles with the old team . Even though they took over the world for a while it has always been a case of what could of been with the Spice Girls.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you may accidently start a war the minute anyone puts two names together!! So I'll start by saying Spice Girls clearly were a global act so if the question is UK based.
    I'd say I'm not sure none of their back catalogue has gone up in certification since they stopped in 2000 so I think they were of their time.
    I'd say they can tour as long as they like but in terms of new material I don't think so. It's amazing to think what they achieved in such a small amount of time. For example getting a lifetime achievement award from the Brits 4 years in and right at the end of their career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by starting a War??? . Will fans keep paying money for the same songs over and over again though?? If that's the case then they are better off in the past. There has been the odd rumours along the years about new music and I think Mel B would like to do some new Music but we have 4 other very independent women who need bringing together as well.

If they were all skint then we would off seen and heard a lot more of the spice girls over the years. I think one of the reasons Take That are massive again is that they came back after leaving when fans wanted more. Even though the Forever album wasn't a huge hit like the previous two it was still a pretty big hit and fans wasn't ready for them to split .
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in a million years would they be able to pull this off. Their last reunion at the Olynmpics didn't exactly set the world alight. They look ridicuoous as a group now. The whole cocnept of the Spice Girls was that each took on an individual persona (baby, posh, ginger, scary, sporty) and they did fun pop songs, dressed up in fun, outrageous outfits. They're too old for all that now. With regards to Take That, they always did the young, fun pop songs, but they also did songs with a slightly more mature side. Anyway, Posh is now a very successful fashion designer and is rolling in money...I can't see her ever doing anything with Spice Girls again.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of 'war' I meant despite the question normally from experience posters will come in and argue for pages 'who were bigger' and 'international/global' between two mentioned acts. Hopefully though that won't happen and people will respond to your actual question.

I think they know because of how big it became it will never be topped and so perhaps leave it now for musicals and rarities like the Olympics for the old songs to be given air time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in a million years would they be able to pull this off. Their last reunion at the Olynmpics didn't exactly set the world alight. They look ridicuoous as a group now. The whole cocnept of the Spice Girls was that each took on an individual persona (baby, posh, ginger, scary, sporty) and they did fun pop songs, dressed up in fun, outrageous outfits. They're too old for all that now. With regards to Take That, they always did the young, fun pop songs, but they also did songs with a slightly more mature side. Anyway, Posh is now a very successful fashion designer and is rolling in money...I can't see her ever doing anything with Spice Girls again.

You make a very good point but clearly they wouldn't return to the old image and would have to promote a new image. Take That didn't return with the same old image from the 90's and never would The Spice Girls. posh wouldn't be missed well not like Geri was when she left. The whole Spice Girls story has never had a proper ending I feel and one last album with a tour wouldn't go a miss.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im a MASSIVE fan of the spice girls and i'd be lying if i said i didnt want them to come back and make a new album. In regards to people saying no to it, i think people assume a new SG album would sound along the same lines as 'Spice' and 'Spiceworld'. Obviously its 2015 and not 1997 anymore so they would work with producers who would produce a more fresher, up-to-date sound. The problem is though the album would have to be bloody amazing for it to be successful.

Realistically though, i do hope they have a 20th anniversary tour next year and include Scotland. A new album will probably never happen but would like to see them live just to relive my childhood for a night
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Although I agree with you I don't think any of the Girls are low on cash. we have never heard any news on any of them running short and maybe that's why we have not seen a new album??. It is just a shame though as we only ever had 3 albums by them. There was whole album scrapped with Geri on after she left and that will still be around somewhere .

Even without a Gary Barlow song writer in the group they would be able to produce new hit singles with the old team . Even though they took over the world for a while it has always been a case of what could of been with the Spice Girls.

Yeah, I can't see them running out of cash either unless they spend money like Elton John. Was just thinking that, of the five, there are two who seem to have had very successful commercial ventures since. But they should all be multi-millionaires if they've been smart with their fortunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You make a very good point but clearly they wouldn't return to the old image and would have to promote a new image. Take That didn't return with the same old image from the 90's and never would The Spice Girls. posh wouldn't be missed well not like Geri was when she left. The whole Spice Girls story has never had a proper ending I feel and one last album with a tour wouldn't go a miss.

So basically, what you're saying is they woulld return and wouldn't be the Spice Girls? Take away the image and they're not the Spice Girls. With Take That, I wouldn't say they retruend with a new image...they had simply matured what was their old image.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No on the basis that pop is ageist against women. How many other successful 35+ girl groups are out there at the moment?
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not entirely true. I was there and they got the biggest cheers of the night. Those in the stadium loved it. I'm pretty sure the press lapped it up as well.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Not entirely true. I was there and they got the biggest cheers of the night. Those in the stadium loved it. I'm pretty sure the press lapped it up as well.

Yes, the Olympic performance was very well received. Their reunion tour was very well received as well. I wasn't a huge fan, but it was more of the more enjoyable shows I've been to. Really well put together. Their problem is not so much their age, but they've been away for a long time. Bands that break up and reunite always struggle with their new material. People just aren't interested after so many years away, they just want to hear the older songs. Both the reunion tour and the Olympic performance actually went off quite well. I would have a fear if they came back again it might not go off so well. They might have to do that whole nostalgia oldies package tour thing. Those to me are kind of embarassing. and sad. I don't know what point there would be in coming back again since they did one reunion tour People aren't going to care about the new stuff. I think with older bands it's nice to do one reunion for the fans but kind of silly to keep doing them, breaking up and getting back together etc.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope they never grace the music world again.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can only keep our fingers crossed...and hope it never happens.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Not in a million years would they be able to pull this off. Their last reunion at the Olynmpics didn't exactly set the world alight. They look ridicuoous as a group now. The whole cocnept of the Spice Girls was that each took on an individual persona (baby, posh, ginger, scary, sporty) and they did fun pop songs, dressed up in fun, outrageous outfits. They're too old for all that now. With regards to Take That, they always did the young, fun pop songs, but they also did songs with a slightly more mature side. Anyway, Posh is now a very successful fa tshion designer and is rolling in money...I can't see her ever doing anything with Spice Girls again.

Ermm their reunion at the Olympics DID set the world a light!
    Everyone was talking about it . it was the highlight of the show!!
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I often wonder if The girls can eve launch a Take That style comeback.
    I mean with new music and tour to go with it. What Take That have done since the comeback is amazing and I think the only other 90's group who could do it is Spice Girls.

I wasn't a fan of the Greatest hits tour as it was nothing but a money making project and the single " Headlines" was a huge let down but if they would make a new album then I would very much support it.

What do you guys reckon??

You answered your own question Steve. :p

They tried a comeback with a really rubbish forgettable piece of non-music and they quickly moved on with their individual lives.

Now, had Headlines stormed to #1 and stayed there for 3/4 weeks the chances are Spice Girls between 2009-2014 would've had a different history to the non existent one thats been created.

I think their performance at the London Olympics opening ceremony is the only thing they've done that people may still remember. They would never be able to have a massive comeback. Just high profile public appearances every now and again.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »

Pretty much certain everyone wasn't talking about it....just as a guess I would say the majority of the Country was not talking about it, let alone globally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not ...
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when they played at the Olympics Closing Ceremony; they had black cabs involved in their routine.

Anyway, since it will be the 20th anniversary of their debut single, Wannabe next year :o, I do wonder if they will do a (final) world tour to celebrate this. Whether or not they will do this, with or without Victoria, I do not know. Difficult to say.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Uk as far as selling album/single and being chart relevant i would say no

Over here in canada and in the US another greatst hits tour would do very well last tiem here in Montreal they played 2 nights and they would have no problem selling 15000+ again while take that would have problems selling 1500
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it would be an epic fail.
    Although the Spice Girls were a huge worldwide hit the longevity wasn't. They only had two albums before the third album sales slumped. Yes it has now sold 5 million which sounds great now but compared to previous sales it was a huge drop. Sales in 2000 for albums were at their peak so it really wasn't great for total WW sales.
    They knew they had peaked as a band and picked the right time to split leaving a great legacy. If they had continued they would have become another act like so many other having to do nostalgic 90s reunion tours with a host of others to fill up Arenas.
    It was completely the right decision to breakup. The last come back single Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) only peaked at No11 which re sealed the fate that any comeback would be a mistake.
    The musical also demonstrated that they never had a big enough music catalogue to support a musical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »

Everyone was not talking about it. It got a bit of publicity and some people were talking about it the next day, but people were not going crazy and calling for a proper reunion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    No it would be an epic fail.
    Although the Spice Girls were a huge worldwide hit the longevity wasn't. They only had two albums before the third album sales slumped. Yes it has now sold 5 million which sounds great now but compared to previous sales it was a huge drop. Sales in 2000 for albums were at their peak so it really wasn't great for total WW sales.
    They knew they had peaked as a band and picked the right time to split leaving a great legacy. If they had continued they would have become another act like so many other having to do nostalgic 90s reunion tours with a host of others to fill up Arenas.
    It was completely the right decision to breakup. The last come back single Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) only peaked at No11 which re sealed the fate that any comeback would be a mistake.
    The musical also demonstrated that they never had a big enough music catalogue to support a musical.

cant argue with any of that tbh and you have hit the nail on the head as well. What nags at me though is thus 3rd scrapped album with Geri before she left. I bet those songs were brilliant. we heard W.O.M.A.N from it and still to this day is a crime that it was never a single or a album track. There will be some very good SG songs just left to rot and may never seen the light of day again.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fan I would love for them to have a reunion tour only if they had Victoria though- yes she can't sing and did buggar all in the band but she still help made the genius of the Spice Girls, just to finish it off on a high and I thought the Olympics were really well done but I would hate for them to release anymore music as time has moved on and it wouldn't be the same as it was in the '90s, so it could ruin the memory of their wonderful songs (IMO).

Realistically I can't see a big World Tour or an album with or without Victoria, for starters Mel C is still releasing music, Mel B has commitments with reality shows and lives in LA, Emma is doing radio and her partner is on tour too, though Geri's not doing much :D Thats before you even add in that they all have school aged kids, the feuds that might get resurfaced and the eating disorders/depression that they all had apart from Emma. I mean they might do a few UK concerts for the 20th of Wannabe without Victoria but thats as far as it's going to get.

Some memories are best left in the past.