Why are 2 draws so bad?

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't get it. We can still qualify if we beat Slovenia and I think we will. We haven't lost a game yet whereas Germany and Spain both have. Chins up and we'll still go through.

DON'T BE SO DOWNHEARTED EVERYONE.

Comments

• fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't get why drawing with Algeria is a bad result?
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, England shoud be beating Algeria, or at the very least out play them, neither of those things happened.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it. We can still qualify if we beat Slovenia and I think we will. We haven't lost a game yet whereas Germany and Spain both have. Chins up and we'll still go through.

Why are you confident Slovenia will be beaten
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because everybody thought that England had a piss easy group.....
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's tonight's performance that was so infuariating. We showed NOTHING. Hot favourites Spain lost against Switzerland the other day but they at least created a lot of chances and didn't play badly. We were shockingly bad tonight
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    You don't get why drawing with Algeria is a bad result?

Of course but we can still qualify. Any 2 teams can and that gives us a 50/50 chance still.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Why are you confident Slovenia will be beaten

I just am. Slovenia haven't played that well despite a win and a draw. When it really matters watch England step up their game.
  • mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have teams ever got through the group stages with 3 points after drawing all 3 games ?
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It''s the performances. If England showed heart and Spirit against Algeria and played decent football but came off 0-0 I wouldn't mind.

But that was beyond woeful and there wasn't a hint of passion or desire to do well. They put as much effort into doing their best as they put into singing the national anthem........ none.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mesonychid wrote: »
    have teams ever got through the group stages with 3 points after drawing all 3 games ?

Erm we haven't drawn the third game yet. I think we'll win it.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

In the old days Italy did in 1982 but it was only two points for a win, don't think its possible with 3 points
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Italy in 1982. And they won the whole thing.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course but we can still qualify. Any 2 teams can and that gives us a 50/50 chance still.

Only if you think North Korea and Spain both have the same chance of getting out of their respective groups. Also if you are going to have such a basis view on it we have a 33% chance of qualifying as a win is the only result that will realistically put us through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It''s the performances. If England showed heart and Spirit against Algeria and played decent football but came off 0-0 I wouldn't mind.

But that was beyond woeful and there wasn't a hint of passion or desire to do well. They put as much effort into doing their best as they put into singing the national anthem........ none.

Yes they were crap tonight but that still doesn't mean they'll be crap on Wed.

PS. Wonder how may people will be off work "sick" on Wed. :D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

Exactly. Spain lose their first game to Switzerland, France are practically out, Germany lose to Serbia, Even Brazil having a close game against North Korea!

Nobody would have predicted some of the results we'd get in this WC!

Like you say, there is still hope for England. I know people will be slagging off Englands performance and I agree, it was poor, but with that, I was impressed with how strong the Algerian defence was.

Slovenia are less of a defensive side. Hopefully, we will get the result we so badly need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Exactly. Spain lose their first game to Switzerland, France are practically out, Germany lose to Serbia, Even Brazil having a close game against North Korea!

Like you say, there is still hope for England. I know people will be slagging off Englands performance and I agree, it was poor, but with that, I was impressed with how strong the Algerian defence was.

Slovenia are less of a defensive side. Hopefully, we will get the result we so badly need.

Agreed and good post.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not all about points though. Without some imagination and talent on the pitch, even if the numbers go Englands way they still haven't shown they deserve to qualify.
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two draws are so bad because they were against the USA and Algeria. England should have 6 points right now and be bossing this qualifying group.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we British always think second best is alright? Drawing is bad... Drawing to Algeria is just taking the piss then shitting in the woods.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

Chile did in 98. Here's the table:

P W D L Gls Pts
    ITALY 3 2 1 0 7-3 7
    CHILE 3 0 3 0 4-4 3
    Austria 3 0 2 1 3-4 2
    Cameroon 3 0 2 1 2-5 2
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member

Agreed, it's not so much the Draw, it's the performance, England were pathetic. The only player that did well was Carragher , which says something. I wouldn't mind if England drew but, had shots hitting the woodwork, cleared off the line ecc, that performance was hopeless. England would get hammered in the 2nd round[if we make it] if we play like that.
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain and Germany still played good football in their losses and I would take any of Frances 2 performances over that one from England.

There is still hope for England that is true, but the quality of that performance and the attitude from the players is well below what millions of England fans ever, ever thought they would witness. That is the key problem, that performance was so bad it was alarming.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member

Ænima wrote: »

I agree that anything can, and does happen,
    I agree it's unpredictable.

Sadly, it's a fact that some days I make more effort getting out of bed of a morning - and that much effort might have carried us through tonight.

Am sorely disappointed so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the group they are in they should be topping it! Not scraping draws, after all we have been told for the last month or two by the media etc.. England are gonna win the WC! So they should be winning every game, they could get away with it (drawing) after the USA game because it's the first game but now the pressure is on.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I think the scenarios for the final group games are this:

England will definitely qualify if they beat Slovenia but they will only top the group if the USA fail to beat Algeria or if they beat Slovenia by a bigger margin than the USA beat Algeria by.

England could qualify with a draw but only if the USA-Algeria match ends in a draw and, like the situation above, England score enough goals to overtake the US on goals scored.

Perhaps the most terrifying prospect is if England draw 2-2 with Slovenia and the US draw 0-0 with Algeria - or 3-3 and 1-1 respectively - then lots will be drawn to see who goes through with Slovenia.

I just worked these out of the top of my head so could somebody double check whether these are accurate?