Options

Who would have won IF they'd stuck to the original categories?

pgw71pgw71 Posts: 821
Forum Member
✭✭
If you recall, they altered the Overs category from 'Over 25' to 'Over 28'.

It could have been and final 12 as follows

Cheryl : Katie, Cher, Rebecca
Simon : 1D, Belle Amie, FYD
Dannii: Paije, Aiden, Nicolo
Louis: Matt, TreyC, Mary

(Yes I know there were 'wildcards', but I'm just working off the final 12 for the purposes of this)

When you look at it like this, it seems like Louis was royally screwed. He could have had a cracking set of contestants instead of being the 'joke' category

But would Matt still have won if he'd had Louis, with his usual dodgy song choices and poor styling

How do you think it would have played out?

Comments

• Options
    WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt dominated the votes as we have seen, he would've been unstoppable no matter what.
  • Options
    GhostlyMaryGhostlyMary Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Matt dominated the votes as we have seen, he would've been unstoppable no matter what.

I'm not sure about that. He would have had to overcome the stigma of the overs and, mostly, that younger girls would have been less likely to vote for him if he weren't in the "boys" category.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danni gave Matt strong song choices, so he really came out strong out of the gate. His fanbase never left him after that. If Louis had messed up Matt's first week song choice, Matt might have not built as big a fanbase as he did. But these are what ifs, we'll never really know for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    poor Louis.

they shouldn't have changed the age limit.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy90 wrote: »
    Danni gave Matt strong song choices, so he really came out strong out of the gate. His fanbase never left him after that. If Louis had messed up Matt's first week song choice, Matt might have not built as big a fanbase as he did. But these are what ifs, we'll never really know for sure.

nah, matt would have won anyway. he topped the votes every week, except the first, which is true for almost all the winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, all speculation of course. But interesting for all that

I think Louis has a bit of track record of hopeless song choices, and if he'd set Matt up with dated song choices in the first couple of shows, then who knows?

Plus any contestant in Louis' group is fair game for constant sniping from Simon. That could have been an issue for Matt like it appeared to be with Mary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    With the stand-out talent gone from Dannii's category, I think she would have sold Nicolo better and he may have gone further.

Personally I think both Aidan and Paije gave as good as they could and got as far as they ever would have.

The girls category is unchanged.
    Same with groups.

Louis' choices of songs are pretty dated so I reckon Treyc might've done even worse, and the gap between Matt and Rebecca might have been shorter in the end.

I'd still say we would have ended with the same winner though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nah, matt would have won anyway. he topped the votes every week, except the first, which is true for almost all the winners.

He was second week 1. It's not like he was way behind Mary, he was still at the top. Mary lost her steam with al the shitastic songs Louis saddled her with. Matt could have suffered a similar fate if Louis had been his mentor.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be fair, the one time Louis had a decent category he won with Shayne... although he was a lot less senile back then :p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pgw71 wrote: »
    Yes, all speculation of course. But interesting for all that

I think Louis has a bit of track record of hopeless song choices, and if he'd set Matt up with dated song choices in the first couple of shows, then who knows?

Plus any contestant in Louis' group is fair game for constant sniping from Simon. That could have been an issue for Matt like it appeared to be with Mary.

Louis isn't stupid. He has done the best he can with contestants he has been given imo. And does so every year. The silly songs work for his contestants becuase they wouldn't work without them. If he had a serious contestant like matt for once, I'm sure he would have given him good song choices.

and matt would have won regardless of his mentor imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    This just makes me think thank god Danni was his mentor....
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Louis was completely screwed, no doubt if he gets one of the younger categories next year the age limits will be shifted again.

Doubt he cares though tbh, he's sort of paid to be the hapless old guy, and paid very well at that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet153 wrote: »
    This just makes me think thank god Danni was his mentor....

didn't he manage two famous boy bands. he can't be that crap. He's just made out to be the joke mentor every year now. becuase the ladies get the best. everyone wants to see the connection cole/tweedy, and Dannii have with their acts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didn't he manage two famous boy bands. he can't be that crap. He's just made out to be the joke mentor every year now. becuase the ladies get the best. everyone wants to see the connection cole/tweedy, and Dannii have with their acts.
    Being a mentor is different than being a manager. Besides, as a manager, Louis is quite ruthless, I doubt the same approach works when being a mentor on X-Factor.

Going by this year, Louis gave his acts piss poor song choices, especially John Adele. Matt may not have been able to fend off Rebecca in the final if Louis had been his mentor.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt would have won anyway, clearly. The mentor made no difference, the song choice made no difference as he can sing anything thrown at him.

Matt won from the moment he did his bootcamp song regardless of age or mentor.
  • Options
    Mona LocaMona Loca Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it isn't. Only Leon and Steve have bettered that.

Shayne fluctuated in the voting and was in third place going into the final. Leona took the lead from four weeks in. Alexandra worked her way up each week. Joe took the lead mid-way through and held it to the end.
    Matt would have won anyway, clearly. The mentor made no difference, the song choice made no difference as he can sing anything thrown at him.

I see your proclamation of blind and deaf adulation and raise you "Come Together" and "I Love Rock & Roll".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing one point OP - they wouldn't give Matt to Louis - they knew he was going to win! If they kept it over 25s, Cheryl/Dannii would've got the Overs imo
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona Loca wrote: »
    I see your proclamation of blind and deaf adulation and raise you "Come Together" and "I Love Rock & Roll".

I take your full flavoured 'all senses in tact' ignorance and hand to you Matt Cardle, XFactor Winner 2010 .... can sing anything thrown at him.:rolleyes: His poorer weeks are still better than the majority of other act's best weeks. Raise me.I will call.
  • Options
    Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that Paije and TreyC were wildcards don't you and not automatically picked?
  • Options
    Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born Free wrote: »
    You do realise that Paije and TreyC were wildcards don't you and not automatically picked?

Paije was Dannii's 4th choice. Without Matt in the boys category, Paije would be there.

And Treyc was the obvious choice for the 3rd Over. xD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing one point OP - they wouldn't give Matt to Louis - they knew he was going to win! If they kept it over 25s, Cheryl/Dannii would've got the Overs imo

It's not 'missing the point', its discussing a particular 'what if' scenario

That said, I agree that they mentors might have been shuffled if the Overs had remained at Over 25. An interesting question would have been how they'd have done it. Louis would probably have got saddled with the groups (and perhaps One Direction would have never even been created), Dannii with the Overs, and Simon with the Boys.

If Dannii had got the Overs would she had taken through TreyC and/or Mary? Would Simon have chosen Paije and/or Nicolo from the likely candidates for the Boys (we know he loved Aiden at auditions)?

All pure speculation, of course. But nonetheless interesting to think about what might have happened....
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted for being such an obvious comment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pgw71 wrote: »
    If you recall, they altered the Overs category from 'Over 25' to 'Over 28'.

It could have been and final 12 as follows

Cheryl : Katie, Cher, Rebecca
    Simon : 1D, Belle Amie, FYD
    Dannii: Paije, Aiden, Nicolo
    Louis: Matt, TreyC, Mary

(Yes I know there were 'wildcards', but I'm just working off the final 12 for the purposes of this)

When you look at it like this, it seems like Louis was royally screwed. He could have had a cracking set of contestants instead of being the 'joke' category

But would Matt still have won if he'd had Louis, with his usual dodgy song choices and poor styling

How do you think it would have played out?

Matt wins anyway, anyhow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Matt. It makes no difference which category they are in, cream rises to the top.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Rebbecca not 26?... I think she would been in the "over 25's" as well