The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hi Alex, good to see you stranger. :)

I also understand his anger and as you rightly point out it's the John we know, so I'm not to worried that he's had a rant.

Unfortunately, I suspect he's given her some column inches for next week....unless of course the thought of a less than flattering video of a 'silver backed gorilla' heaving itself against the bedroom door appearing on youtube is enough to make her think twice. Not exactly 'the girl next door' persona that was peddled in the house, unless you live next to a zoo of course. ;):D

As for the PA's, I think he enjoyed them once he got into them although I suspect he would have soon tired of them and they would eventually have run their course.

My understanding is that there was some real interest in him and some deals on the table. Unfortunately, he kept changing agents after getting involved in the 'couple' scenario and the opportunities were lost. :(

I have to agree with you.

I too understood that there were some interesting opportunities for John but for some reason he didn't want to - or couldn't do anything without Josie - the modelling at the end was an easy option which I don't think John ever wanted to do seriously.
    Forum Member
    I actually think that it is time John gave his version of events. Whether Josie has 'something' on him I have no idea. I can only guess that either there was some kind of agreement to prevent him from speaking out or there is a tape which shows John in a bad light - we all know that tapes can be manipulated.

Josie has made money thanks to John - she isn't on TV anymore and many people have forgotten her. John should tell his side of the story and forget about the consequences. It seems he doesn't want a career in the UK so it doesn't matter imo. He seems content to live a life in small-town Australia working in a surf shop. Nothing wrong with that . Telling his story might cause some unpleasantness but it will soon be forgotten. Josie is not a celebrity, she is a past winner of BB. BB as we know, has been decreasing in popularity over the years.

It will help John - and Josie - if his side of the story is at last told!
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    my computer is playing up........it doesnt want to answer long posts....!!!!.

Re the Book...The Forgotten Waltz.

I think , many of us from this thread are in long term, long standing relationships...and we have a particular view of loyalty and consideration for others... so this book isnt designed to appeal to many of us.

I dont like or have a lot of sympathy, for any woman who deliberately choses to be the other woman, and who lets another family suffer because of it... Its one of my biggest issues with my darling MIL when she chose to kick out my OH natural father, and bring in her new bf.

but I would imagine , it is the perfect book for any woman, who has been in that position, of breaking up a family so she can get her man. And if i look around, there do seem to be an awful lot of women in that position.... And I would imagine that it is these women, and men,,, who are championing this book. At last a book , that is sympathetic and understanding to what it is like to fall in love with a married man......a book that can discuss the issue of children from a previous marriage etc.......

I didnt like the slant or the way things are portrayed...but i can imagine some women might.......

Im in a quandary now with my own brother, who is due to bring his new gf to stay. Do I behave in a civilised way and bite my tounge about the fact that this new gf, gave my brother an excuse to leave his wife....or do i behave as john does....and let rip and tell them both what i really think? Actually this is really a rhetorical question.....I cant really see any purpose in rocking the boat.....but......im not happy with his decision...

If anyone is unhappy in a marriage. to me they should leave first before they start up a new affair...and i do know this is idealistic and naive...and not the way things usually work....But im not sure all this selfishness....is that good for anyone.....I think a few more people should be a bit more considerate at times.

There are huge issues around facts like children from stable 2 parent homes, seem to do so much better at school, and uni, and achieve a lot more than kids from single parent homes....But the minute those facts are mentioned...they are argued down by single parents...who will not have it ...that children from single parent families are disadvantaged in any way shape or form. The whole issue of political correctness is brought in...and what was a fairly simple and indisputable fact ...is ignored....

To be fair here, i am not saying by any manner of means that all children from single parent families are disadvantaged, if the parent makes the effort to support their kids, those kids do do well...But I have seen too many families, especially when the parents initially split up....become almost unable to cope...and where the parents end up having to look after themselves and their own interests more than those of their kids.....and i do think those kids often do suffer....and lose opportunites because of it....

this book is a perfect one for single mums , who may have been in that situation....or men, who have left a wife and family.......!!!

Good post Augusta, written from the heart :)

I agree with you about the selfishness of some people who are willing to ignore other people's long term relationships in pursuit of their own agenda......though there are always exceptions, I think, and I wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush .....

I think Anne Enright deals with this issue by making Gina's life so evidently empty of love and joy. I thought the text she finally received on Xmas Day from Sean (”look in the shed") which led her to a bottle of wine on which she proceeded to get drunk all alone, said it all, really. She doesn't get much happiness from her selfishness, does she?
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    Lindy and Augusta
    I agree with everything you've both said.

Can I just ask?
    How easy do you find it to read a first person narration where you are out of sympathy with the character?
    It's something we discuss occasionally in my own book group.
    I can read about unpleasant, unsympathetic characters and still enjoy a novel when the narrator is the author because you can usually tell whether an author lenjoys writing a character for whatever reason - good or ill.
    But a first person narrator with whom I haven't the slightest empathy I find personally difficult.

None of us in our group have ever enjoyed reading Martin Amis on so many fronts - and when I see interviews with him, I understand why. He is such a sneering, arrogant man.

Hi Kay :)

I've thought a bit about this and I agree, I do find it hard to read a first person narrative when I am out of sympathy with the 'voice'. Yet, in a way, if I can manage it, it's all the more rewarding a read. I didn't think I'd be able to cope with our current book very well, until I managed to view Gina as similar to one of my daughters or their friends (heaven forbid, but you know what I mean, I hope). Once I could do that, I took on a kind of maternal view, and kept wanting to say to her ~ Stop, you silly girl, can't you see what he's doing, what you're doing etc ~ and that somehow gave me a motivation to keep on reading.

I actually felt that the end was quite sad. Gina was by then becoming aware that she would lose the girl, once she grew up, that she'd probably lose Sean, she'd already lost Connor, and had a tenuous relationship with her sister. Miserable, eh?

Oh, and I agree with you about Martin Amis, I can't read him at all.

And I do tend to enjoy books by women, but that's another story.....;)
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    I actually think that it is time John gave his version of events. Whether Josie has 'something' on him I have no idea. I can only guess that either there was some kind of agreement to prevent him from speaking out or there is a tape which shows John in a bad light - we all know that tapes can be manipulated.

Josie has made money thanks to John - she isn't on TV anymore and many people have forgotten her. John should tell his side of the story and forget about the consequences. It seems he doesn't want a career in the UK so it doesn't matter imo. He seems content to live a life in small-town Australia working in a surf shop. Nothing wrong with that . Telling his story might cause some unpleasantness but it will soon be forgotten. Josie is not a celebrity, she is a past winner of BB. BB as we know, has been decreasing in popularity over the years.

It will help John - and Josie - if his side of the story is at last told!

I agree nyannie. However, if he doesn't tell the full story soon, there will only be him and his ex to take an interest....apart maybe for a few of us on here :o;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Good point - although I've often wondered the same about John; for all his good qualities, he too is fairly self-absorbed and I always saw him as very young, younger than his years (at least emotionally).

Oh, for me, John definitely falls into the same category, as do a lot of other youngsters these days. But to clarify - I know from among my friends' children, my own children and their cousins, and those that we know in DS, that not all 20 and 30 year olds are like this. There just seem to be more of them like that whose focus seems to be on being obsessed with wearing designer gear, having the latest in everything, and putting all that in terms of money and fame above everything - love, their dignity, the welfare of others - anything that suits them but nobody else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elle_Dee wrote: »
    I've always thought that the 'USE THE OTHERS, BUT YOU WILL NOT USE ME' quote said a lot more about Johns mind-set than probably anything else we heard him say either during or after BB.
    His name was obviously being used to promote the magazine and therefore to promote Josie, either with or without her knowledge or consent, and I think that if the online article had been refuted instead of being retweeted by the 'official' fans (who are in effect Josies employees) then this latest twitter spat may never have occurred.

Absolutely. :)
    bblover wrote: »
    Oh yeah,she knew by not denying that silly NOW headlines,the reaction it'll create;)She outwitted him,and he ran tight into it:rolleyes::D

Not everyone evaluates every action in terms of John v Josie, like you appear to. Nor does he care what the reaction of these dwindling fanbases will be. John's action makes sense, without reference to Josie. Hopefully he's nipped it in the bud now. We shall see. :)
    ucra girl wrote: »
    My view thou is he should have contacted NOW by email and rise above Josie. The 'principle' is justified but his reaction would have been to NOW,2 years on,unless there is still emotional attachment thou negative.He needs to learn to place the principle in the right place.

You can wish that, but then this is John. None of us know what was agreed between them when he left. ;)
  • bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=AleNot everyone evaluates every action in terms of John v Josie, like you appear toxBB3;61799140]. Nor does he care what the reaction of these dwindling fanbases will be. John's action makes sense, without reference to Josie. Hopefully he's nipped it in the bud now. We shall see. :)[/QUOTE]

Lol not really,i'm just joining the speculations going round,that's all we can,not you,not me knows or can say for 100% what really happened,apart from 2 ppl,we only going by the impressions they left since being on the show,and as always the case,everyone interpret their action in a different way.:)
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Lol not really,i'm just joining the speculations going round,that's all we can,not you,not me knows or can say for 100% what really happened,apart from 2 ppl,we only going by the impressions they left since being on the show,and as always the case,everyone interpret their action in a different way.:)

morning all.....how is everyone?

bblover id agree none of us really know what went on...and so much is pure speculation.
    Forum Member

Absolutely and I'm beginning to think John definitely should tell his side and make himself feel better. So much time has passed that it doesn't matter.

One good thing - the thread has come alive.
    Forum Member
    Apart from strictly ...

did anyone else see ''The Thick of it'' last night....cos on one level its very interesting to compare, cos it was all about the different ways people have to obscure or confuse the truth!!

The series has spent the last few weeks, actually showing all the political behind the scenes machinations...so that the viewer does actually know the truth. And who did what and why. Last nights episode was a courtscene, where there was a public investigation into how someone died, and how information about this death and his confidential medical records, were leaked into the public arena.

The actors all were shown to be lying through their teeth, (We knew they were lying cos we had seen their previous actions) They tried to distract the officials interviewing them , threw in as many red herrings as they could, blatantly lied, and blamed everyone else except themself.

It was meant i think to be an allusion to the Leverson enquiry, and meant to be funny, but on one level it was awful to see every character, without fail, lying through their teeth.

it made me think of the whole JJJ saga with all its distractions, red herrings and to some extent deliberate lies........A picture where its very difficult to find any kind of truth, because of all the chinese whispers going on......
    Forum Member
    Absolutely and I'm beginning to think John definitely should tell his side and make himself feel better. So much time has passed that it doesn't matter.

One good thing - the thread has come alive.

Maybe it'll be kind of therapeutic of he does so,but then is there really something to tell,or are there enough ppl out there interesting to hear his story,others than the handful twitter/DS readers?:)

It did here and elsewhere too,so it wasn't that bad alter all:D:p
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    it made me think of the whole JJJ saga with all its distractions, red herrings and to some extent deliberate lies........A picture where its very difficult to find any kind of truth, because of all the chinese whispers going on......

And you forgot the fake accounts of some claiming to be in the know:rolleyes::D
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Lover you ok :)

Loads of accounts that in the end they all knew f all as usual x
    Forum Member
    ellemay wrote: »
    Hi Lover you ok :)

Loads of accounts that in the end they all knew f all as usual x

I am thanks.xxx

The thing is,how some believed them:eek:Well hope they had their fun while doing so.:yawn:
    Forum Member
    Evening all:)

After all the chaos and disagreements of the last week - and the many very interesting discussions :p - I just thought I'd revert to type and post a goodnight :o

Goodnight JJAT, sleep tight all :sleep: :sleep:
    You are a fab bunch :D

Lindy xx
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good morning :) Thought I'd be the first through the door today :D
    Forum Member
    I am thanks.xxx

The thing is,how some believed them:eek:Well hope they had their fun while doing so.:yawn:

Isn't it interesting how easily we 'buy' into romance? I guess it is that many of us want to believe in fairytales.

I cannot remember which thread, but one poster raised the point about the demographics of John's fanbase - middle-aged and older women rather than the JLS or One Direction kind of audience. Perhaps this is relevant to why John didn't want to continue the fame game, perhaps not, but this point has stuck in my consciousness for some reason.
    Forum Member
    I have been very remiss

Good morning everyone, I'm off to Osteopath shortly so won't be able to use my computer for the rest of the day.

Hope everyone has a lovely day despite the grey skies.
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Good Morning JJat

I can't see any of the grey sky here
    to much fog :D
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Good morning :) Thought I'd be the first through the door today :D

First in ......... oh ok ;)

so you know you have to
    open the curtain
    turn the heating on
    run around with the hoover
    and empty the bins :o:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

so you know you have to
    open the curtain
    turn the heating on

LOL - Ali - "hoover" you can google it :eek:;)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it interesting how easily we 'buy' into romance? I guess it is that many of us want to believe in fairytales.

I cannot remember which thread, but one poster raised the point about the demographics of John's fanbase - middle-aged and older women rather than the JLS or One Direction kind of audience. Perhaps this is relevant to why John didn't want to continue the fame game, perhaps not, but this point has stuck in my consciousness for some reason.

Yes, seen this theory a lot ;)

so you know you have to
    open the curtain
    turn the heating on

:eek: Aaah, okay - I won't be early again :p
    Deeferone wrote: »
    LOL - Ali - "hoover" you can google it :eek:;)

:cool:
    Forum Member

I know....!!!! on some levels things are pretty bizarre.....what do people get out of this?
    Forum Member

Something I keep forgetting, and that isnt helped by the image of John working as a shop assistant in a surf shop, is quite how priviledged and luxurious his background is. !!

He has the luxury of coming from a family with money, he can afford to travel the world and go out for expensive meals and buy the latest gadgets. He buys and drives expensive luxury cars, He seemed to spend a fortune on clothes and mens grooming products. His job, is probably to give him pocket money to spend on himself, not to pay for rent, food, travel and utility bills etc...

Its an odd distinction, but I am aware of a massive difference between my family life and income, and that of friends and relatives. For instance, we have an uncle who owns a house in florida, and a few years ago, they offered it to us for a free holiday. But as im a teacher, who can only take holiday during school holidays, we couldnt really afford the air fares for the whole family. So we couldnt take advantage of it.

But if you do have the money...for things like fares, ., or the time to not have to work and pay bills, ..there do seem to be fairly cheap ways to travel the world and stay with friends of friends.....

And its not just travel, its also going to parties, being invited out to nice places, and having an exciting and interesting lifestyle that most of us can only dream of.....

its a distinction that I think confuses some politicians , who really cant believe that anyone has to live on the minute amount available to most people on benefits....as they have always had someone to bankroll them and cover any unexpected expenditure....:(

For John , Fame was a transitory, fun idea, a bit of a game to play with. something to take or leave. He already had a lovely lifestyle....and didnt need to make any compromises at all.

Now I think he has left the world of BB behind him, and doesnt want anything else to do with it...including being used by Josie as a publicity tool.... so he is cross if and when he is mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.