NFL Red Zone Coverage on Sky Sports

EmilioLargoEmilioLargo Posts: 866
Forum Member
✭✭
Instead of showing the 1pm/6pm game tonight and for the next 2 weeks Sky Sports are offering coverage of the NFL Red Zone where coverage is shown of 10 games. The service jumps from game to game whenever a team is within 20 years of the touchdown line.

Interesting to see this but I find it a bit hard to follow as I normally watch the NFL on a Sunday night whilst catching up with some work or wrapping christmas presents so there is no flow to the coverage.

Worth noting that Sky are showing commercials where this is apparently commercial free in the USA.

Comments

• SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    It's the greatest thing ever.

And you mean 20 yards, not 20 years. :D
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,727
    Forum Member
    It's OK to be honest, I'm not overly keen on it but Sky cutting for adverts every 15 minutes and missing touchdowns defeats the purpose somewhat.

Have the important highlights during the breaks on the main channel's game like they did last week, and Redzone shoved on the red button without ads, and then everyone is happy.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the greatest thing ever.

And you mean 20 yards, not 20 years. :D
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    It's OK to be honest, I'm not overly keen on it but Sky cutting for adverts every 15 minutes and missing touchdowns defeats the purpose somewhat.

Have the important highlights during the breaks on the main channel's game like they did last week, and Redzone shoved on the red button without ads, and then everyone is happy.

I agree with you both, Red Zone is really good, but Sky haven't worked out how to work with it yet, which is making it look bad. The ad breaks look automatically set and there are far too many of them, I think there was only 5 minutes gap between the last ones.

It's defeating the object to be showing Red Zone because of all they playoff implications and have to show a New York Giants touchdown (in one of the key games) 10 minutes later because they missed it due to an ad break.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is, Sky still need to show advert breaks. They'll have sold the advertising time a good while in advance. Even though it makes up a small percentage of their overall income its still significant.

In the US Red Zone is part of the 'out of market' NFL Sunday Ticket that costs about $200 a season, thats why its commercial free!

Sky are doing a good job when commercials have to be fitted in and are replaying the missed touchdowns. Can't ask for more than that. You won't get it commercial free on the red button- I seem to remember the games shown on there had advert breaks during some of the US ones, just as they would on the main channel.

I do think the best use of Red Zone would either be as a red button option, or as a break filler, or more simply as a way to get more footage of other games to run during the coverage. I can see why the NFL might want to restrict this if it makes their (very expensive) online streaming less attractive to fans.
    Forum Member
    And now they are fannying about with half time highlights and discussion while there are still three games going on?
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty negative reaction on NFLUK forum and Sky Sports webchat.

Looks like the concensus is that they should show one main game with clips of others during breaks in play.

ie exactly what someone in the US would actually see on, eg, CBS.

ie when CBS go to James Brown in the studio to show another clip we should do the same.

(I know there's currently some technical reason why we can't do this due to the feed but this should be changed!)
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like it. Would prefer the biggest game of the slot in full. If it was an add on, commercial free, red button option then that would work well.
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the Sky Live Chat? I can't get it working.
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Pretty negative reaction on NFLUK forum and Sky Sports webchat.

Looks like the concensus is that they should show one main game with clips of others during breaks in play.

ie exactly what someone in the US would actually see on, eg, CBS.

ie when CBS go to James Brown in the studio to show another clip we should do the same.

(I know there's currently some technical reason why we can't do this due to the feed but this should be changed!)

To be fair, that is what happened last week, and I think it worked well. I'd guess they had RZ rights from week 14, but with already scheduling two live games kept with that. It was great when the late game ended early, and we got the end of the Dolphins v Jets game through Redzone.

There's definitely a place for it, probably on the red button, and as you say-using the clips from that during the many breaks but Sky have absolutely butchered this tonight.
  • SmidsterSmidster Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Absolutely dreadful - Managed about 20mins

Part of the enjoyment of NFL is really seeing the game develop with long drives and the 'game changing play' can happen at any time. Now there is no tension as you know something is going to happen (especially if they flip to it when the driving team is not in the red-zone)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am really struggling with this and have paid for Gamepass for the week to at least try and follow a game in full.

Sorry Sky it ain't working for us in this format, adverts, Halling and all.
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying listening to Saints v Ravens from Westwood One radio on 5 live sports extra at the moment.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »

You won't get it commercial free on the red button- I seem to remember the games shown on there had advert breaks during some of the US ones, just as they would on the main channel.

I do think the best use of Red Zone would either be as a red button option, or as a break filler, or more simply as a way to get more footage of other games to run during the coverage. I can see why the NFL might want to restrict this if it makes their (very expensive) online streaming less attractive to fans.

The red button games didn't have adverts, just when the US tv went to commercials Sky would show cheerleaders dancing and other filler videos.
    The Redzone would be perfect for the red button as unlike the games they could just show it without having someone having to cut away and play the videos when the US is on a advert break.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    now it's doubly frustrating, because where for the previous 3 hours we've seen every score now they're showing one game and concentrating on it and we see nothing of the other games at all til they feel like giving it to us! who negotiated that deal? or, if it's a technical thing why didn't they sort that out weeks/months ago?!
    we've just seen how good it can be and now we're back to hearing them tell us about a score instead of just showing the damn clip :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    oh, and while I'm ranting ... where's the bloody HD?! again!!
    :mad:
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulmbe wrote: »
    oh, and while I'm ranting ... where's the bloody HD?! again!!
    :mad:
    Not enough HD studios at Sky- I believe they have two. So tonight they're being used for Ashes highlights (which has live analysis on the end) and La Liga, both of which have higher audiences than NFL.

Sky are building new studios that will be finished next year.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red zone was awful. With or without adverts I don't want sky to force it on us ever again. Stick it on the red button if need be. I gave up watching it after an hour, just constant bombardment of clips, too many to follow. We missed out on commentators analysis of TD's and how the plays developed. Eagles giants should have been the live game at 6:00.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    The worst part had to be cutting away to the late game with a minute left in a 31-31 tie game missing the winning TD. Sky NEVER goes to the late game until the early has concluded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Red Zone was awful.

I came on line and found an internet stream of the Giants V Eagles game and I was certainly glad that I did.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly liked it, although there is lots of room for improvement. Clearly Sky need to tinker with their coverage, and make the best decisions they can with when they go to adverts. Maybe they are trying to do that now, but many times it seemed like the ads ran with no regard to what was happening. Also, going to the Pittsburgh-Jets game and missing the winning Eagle touchdown was regrettable, although had that decision meant they didn't miss the Jets touchdown on the opening kickoff.

For people who didn't like it and would prefer them to just show one game, remember that one game is sometimes a bit of a dud, and how frustrating it is when the US network is showing a highlight of another game, and all we get Kev or Nick telling us what we're not seeing.

Definitely agree that it would be great if they could give us the option of either a live game or the Red Zone via the red button. And stay with Red Zone for the whole six hours.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I like Redzone. I can understand the fact that most people would rather have a full game, than cutting between the games like Redzone.

I hope Sky keep it, but for harmony it's probably best to stick it on the red button.
  • jmcbridejmcbride Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I like Redzone. I can understand the fact that most people would rather have a full game, than cutting between the games like Redzone.

I hope Sky keep it, but for harmony it's probably best to stick it on the red button.

I agree with this. I only watched the first hour and a half, but I enjoyed the cutting to and from various games, which gave a real sense of momentum and made me feel as though I was in touch with what was happening across the board, rather than being stuck with a single, potentially tedious game, which has happened far too often for me this season.

The ad breaks were a problem, and badly interrupted the flow of the game, though I do understand that this was unavoidable given that the time was probably sold months ago. If Sky can be persuaded to make it a regular red button option next season, it will probably be the way I'll watch on a Sunday in future.
  • pHopHo Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main criticism of Sky's coverage of NFL extends into RedZone... I'm happy to watch other teams play, but I'll generally want to avoid the Eagles score and get the full game to watch on Monday night (unless it's the MNF game, naturally). Due to watching some RedZone, I knew the score in the 3Q and ended up checking the result this morning presuming I knew what it would be. Wish I hadn't, as it would've been a far better game to go into blind. It's bad enough that they relay all the scores in every break possible, but RZ eliminates any chance of avoiding results.

Would be happy for it to be on red button, but would be happier if Sky gave Virgin their red button feeds too!
    Forum Member
    Sky have axed Red Zone after only one week-the early game will now be Chicago v NY Jets.

I hope they don't completely knock the idea on the head. It works, but Sky butchered it last night. Interesting interview with NFLUK head honcho Alistair Kirkwood about it here...
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pHo wrote: »
    would be happier if Sky gave Virgin their red button feeds too!

They are....from some time early next year I think.