EastEnders- When will Tanya tell her family??

walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
Forum Member
It's dragging on a bit now, with no sign of her telling them for the forseeable future. I assume they're just waiting for Max to return, though.

Comments

• DaZ_yUv_XDaZ_yUv_X Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the real world she would have told somebody by now. I don't buy into this "i don't want people pittying me" stuff, to be honest.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,881
    Forum Member
    Eastenders and the BBC should be slammed for it's portrayal of this storyline, despite the fine talents of Jo Joyner whi is the sole reason it has legs. The message conveyed so far is absolutely shocking, horrifying infact, stand by Ofcom...
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,930
    Forum Member
    its hardly dragging. she's not been in it very much lately on/off every other week
    soapnut wrote: »
    Eastenders and the BBC should be slammed for it's portrayal of this storyline, despite the fine talents of Jo Joyner whi is the sole reason it has legs. The message conveyed so far is absolutely shocking, horrifying infact, stand by Ofcom...

yep agreed. the scenes in the hospital didn't seem like it was a big deal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I can see why she isn't telling anybody. She doesn't want to have to tell them. She was sort of forced into telling Lauren, it's nice for Tanya to have at least one person who knows. But Raine has her own problems Tanya doesn't want to add to them.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaZ_yUv_X wrote: »
    in the real world she would have told somebody by now. I don't buy into this "i don't want people pittying me" stuff, to be honest.

In the real world people don't know how particular individuals would react to being told they have cancer. :rolleyes:
  • DaZ_yUv_XDaZ_yUv_X Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    In the real world people don't know how particular individuals would react to being told they have cancer. :rolleyes:

Hey, don't get all defensive. I'm just giving my opinion and that of other people i know who watch the show too.
    Forum Member
    I can see why she isn't telling anybody. She doesn't want to have to tell them. She was sort of forced into telling Lauren, it's nice for Tanya to have at least one person who knows. But Raine has her own problems Tanya doesn't want to add to them.

If you've been faced with or had to deal with cancer in real life then you will or may not know that it just doesn't work like that. The whole scenario is totally unrealistic and alarmingly inaccurate. Tanya would have confided not only in her family by now but also in a cancer organisation who help both pateints and their closest relatives, she would be garnering all the help and support she could get from whatever source. Her own GP doesn't have time for her as he's too busy being a pantomime villain. Eastenders could have worked closely with a well-known organisiation to really do this story justice, however, my guess is that none of them wanted their good name to be associated with such a television programme. They have failed massively and comitted such a disservice to many people who may be affected by this heartbreaking situation in real life.
    Forum Member
    ^but some people can be in denial and don't want to accept it
  • EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On her death bed at this rate:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ^but some people can be in denial and don't want to accept it

Initially yes. Some people don't have the chance to accept it, especially over weeks or months, it's often too late. Tanya was told, when she finally approached the situation that her cancer had been detected at a stage where she would benefit and most likely survive following successful treatment. Then all of a sudden she is told the cancer has spread. Realistically, if the cancer growth was that rapid it would be at a critical stage or within the final stages (possibly terminal) and her chances of survival would be slim. Without being technical or using any sort of jargon to confuse the viewer, the writers have not really told us the extent of Tanya's condition apart from the fact she has cancer, it has spread and she may possibly die. That's it. It's in complete contrast to Sarah's storyline in Emmerdale. It has only just gained any proper momentum, however, the attention to detail and information on her condition given so far has been enough to create awareness and promote knowledge of a subject which is alien to most of us. It is being handled and portrayed completely differently, yes, it's a different condition, however, the way in which it is conveyed across to the viewer is in an informative and sensitive way, including how family members react and are affected. There is no evidence of this over on Eastenders sadly.
    Forum Member
    i agree the actual cancer storyline isn't very good but the emotional side is good. I think its because she's only been in it and then off again as to why its too her so long
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    Years ago and particularly in the older generations cancer was something to be ashamed of indeed a lot of victims still see it as a source of great humiliation. I really think Tanya's response has been at best heartfelt and at worst fairly typical.

I know through my own mother's struggle that she didn't want to tell us until it would have otherwise been abundantly clear something was very wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I have to say the character is playing this fantastic , when she went in for the first lot of treatment i was close to tears.
    As for telling people i wouldnt know how i would react having thankfully not gone through it although my mum went through similar when i was younger (i was about 11 so she says) and i didnt know till many years later she kept it quiet from most family members.
    The only reason i found out myself is because of recent bad health i have suffered.
    I think it is a very personal thing and a very individual thing and i dont think anyone can say there is a wrong or right way of dealing with it although like most im praying she tells someone else not only for her sake but for lauren's its a hell of a lot for a young girl to cope with alone especially as she has just gone through her dad leaving (again) and Ryan.
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn`t the point they`re making the fact that Tanya can`t cope with the loss of her looks/sexiness/hair etc rather than the loss of her life. When she gets to the point of realising her life is in the balance, it will hit home that her reliance on being a sexy blonde was unimportant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This storyline is a disgrace. I have to turn it over. Tanya is seriously ill yet they have her walking around as if everything is fine. Someone who underwent major surgery and is going through Radio and Chemo would be weak and unwell. They have major side effects. As a Cancer Campaigner I really feel this storyline is ridiculous. Plus the little things bother me, such as Tanya wearing jewellery whilst have treatment etc...

My opinion is if you are going to do a storyline like this then bloody do it right!

Rant over!
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idacyder wrote: »
    Isn`t the point they`re making the fact that Tanya can`t cope with the loss of her looks/sexiness/hair etc rather than the loss of her life. When she gets to the point of realising her life is in the balance, it will hit home that her reliance on being a sexy blonde was unimportant.

I think this is the point. It seems odd though that she hasn't told Abby or Rainie if her sister lives with her. It might be the making of her sister perhaps she would turn out to be a better support than she thinks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's a rubbish SL. If i had cancer, i wouldn't tell anyone either!
    Forum Member
    bimmy_gill wrote: »
    I don't think it's a rubbish SL. If i had cancer, i wouldn't tell anyone either!

How can you be so blase about it? It appears you're almost making a joke out of it. I hope to god you never have to face the prospect. The fact that a previous poster on here who is a cancer campaigner is outraged by the portrayal says it all really.
    Forum Member
    soapnut wrote: »
    How can you be so blase about it? It appears you're almost making a joke out of it. I hope to god you never have to face the prospect. The fact that a previous poster on here who is a cancer campaigner is outraged by the portrayal says it all really.

People deal with things differently