Comments

• nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was beyond awful
  • demfedemfe Posts: 15,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if this gets anymore saccharine i think i might go into diabetic shock....
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ricky gervais loves carlsberg special brew and coldplay
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I didn't like kev till that bit about his mind being a war....he's won me round.

And me ,,, and the endings made me cry :o
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    That was the weakest one. A bit preachy, like Thought for the Day or something.

Until the ending, which was lovely. I think thats 3 out of 6 endings have made me cry.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kev won me round with that ending too. I wish we'd been allowed to see this side to him a little more often.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    And me ,,, and the endings made me cry :o

Me too...although that's easy:o
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Good ending to the series. Not the best episode but all the episodes very enjoyable. Looking forward to series 2.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    The whole series was preachy and saccharine. Odd programme really, don't really see the point. When things are supposed to be over emotional, you'd expect some kind of message or insight. This had neither.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Kev won me round with that ending too. I wish we'd been allowed to see this side to him a little more often.

It's my experience that the worlds full of people like kev ( Derek too, for that matter.)

People you are sleazy, or outrageous, or geeky.....not because
    There any less a person then anyone else, but because they carry mental scars. One they would never show anyone, out of dignity. They my seem slow but their surviours, probably stronger then any of the 'smart' ones

I wish people could be savvy enough to praise Ricky for showing us that, in a world where every reality show in the world only cares about 'winners'.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Could have been good if it had been a one-hour or two one-hour specials, as it was, they didn't have enough material and so just repeated the same stuff over and over, plus each episode seemed to end before it began, 30 minutes might have worked (just) but 24 minutes isn't enough to develop a story line so you just had montages and mawkish music instead.
  • super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    The whole series was preachy and saccharine. Odd programme really, don't really see the point. When things are supposed to be over emotional, you'd expect some kind of message or insight. This had neither.

So why bother wasting 3 hours of your life watching all 6 episodes?? Bizarre.

I loved it ... what a great series. Cant wait for series 2
  • mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Made me think of my dad who died when I was 20 23 years ago...I wish I had that second chance to go back to say things....

Like you still owe me a fiver you tight b#####d!

Seriously a mover this one made me shed a tear.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's me crying for real, that was so sad wow :(

I love this show
  • mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member

You liked it then...
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was slightly over the top in trying to be all things to all people. Maybe the ending was slightly saccharine. Maybe using naffing Coldplay - again!! - wasn't the best idea.
    But bloody hell, there were moments at the end that really did make me catch my breath. And, frankly, living in Britain, right now, I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of saccharine. When we've had a really crappy day, is there anything wrong with watching something that reminds us that we probably haven't?
    Forum Member
    So why bother wasting 3 hours of your life watching all 6 episodes?? Bizarre.

I loved it ... what a great series. Cant wait for series 2

Because I liked some of it - as I've said previously in this thread.

I agree with some others in here that it could have been a mini series of 3 episodes or something. The storylines were repetitive and I didn't appreciate being told basic stuff like 'be kind to people', 'treat others with respect' etc. I learned the importance of that as a child.

Dougie was a good character, Kev grew on me and some of the little sub plots like Derek buying that frog ornament that Dougie was trying to get rid of were enjoyable. The rest was just overly sentimental and wasn't executed that well, I think - it was trying to force emotion on the viewers.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Because I liked some of it - as I've said previously in this thread.

I agree with some others in here that it could have been a mini series of 3 episodes or something. The storylines were repetitive and I didn't appreciate being told basic stuff like 'be kind to people', 'treat others with respect' etc. I learned the importance of that as a child.

Dougie was a good character, Kev grew on me and some of the little sub plots like Derek buying that frog ornament that Dougie was trying to get rid of were enjoyable. The rest was just overly sentimental and wasn't executed that well, I think - it was trying to force emotion on the viewers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the message of 'be kind to people' is there? I mean really? How depressing if that's what people are going to criticise the programme for...
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr trebus wrote: »
    Made me think of my dad who died when I was 20 23 years ago...I wish I had that second chance to go back to say things....

Like you still owe me a fiver you tight b#####d!

Seriously a mover this one made me shed a tear.

Yeah, i think its a show for 'grown ups' who have actually seen abit of heartache and how painful life can be sometimes. I think alot of the 'critics' on this message board just havent lived to realize what its like to lose people close, specially mums and dads.

I found the show to have a lot of flaws but i did like the message it was saying - cherish those who are still around cos they aint going to be around for long, and one day your going to be in their place too.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the message of 'be kind to people' is there? I mean really? How depressing if that's what people are going to criticise the programme for...

I'm actually questioning the intelligence of the programme if all it has to say is 'be kind. Its just very basic, I was probably expecting something a bit more thought-provoking considering the amount of sentimentality, tears and Coldplay going on. Fair enough if RG wanted to make something that made people realize what they have - I just think it could have been done a lot better and a lot less predictable.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant ending to the series. I actually cried at the end for the first time in ages
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    Yeah, i think its a show for 'grown ups' who have actually seen abit of heartache and how painful life can be sometimes. I think alot of the 'critics' on this message board just havent lived to realize what its like to lose people close, specially mums and dads.

I found the show to have a lot of flaws but i did like the message it was saying - cherish those who are still around cos they aint going to be around for long, and one day your going to be in their place too.

No, I just think it was a bit basic. I fully appreciate what I have in life and have experienced plenty of pitfalls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outstanding writing tonight. Ricky has given the elderly of this country a voice no one else has.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Apparently the inclusion of Coldplay is to make it a realistic documentary.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I just think it was a bit basic. I fully appreciate what I have in life and have experienced plenty of pitfalls.

Sometimes the most 'basic' things in life are the most important.