Options

Fighting The Urge To Drink

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a drink problem which i am trying to sort out and this is my 8th consecutive day without having a drink, which probably doesn't seem like much but its my longest time without a drink in months as i am normally managing 3 or 4 days before i drink again. I really want to be able to sit here this time next week and say i've done 16 days without a drink! But right now i feel bored, depressed and a bit lonely and the urge to go to the off licence is really kicking in and i want to ignore it and resist. Any advice? i really want to fight this and not keep giving in.

Comments

• Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very well done, you have got this far, dont think another week think in hours, Why not take your self for a walk, not near an off licence, sorry dont know what your weather is like. read a book, visit a friend, but try to be busy.

It is the hardest time these first few days, good luck and well done with the first few days :)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I have a drink problem which i am trying to sort out and this is my 8th consecutive day without having a drink, which probably doesn't seem like much but its my longest time without a drink in months as i am normally managing 3 or 4 days before i drink again. I really want to be able to sit here this time next week and say i've done 16 days without a drink! But right now i feel bored, depressed and a bit lonely and the urge to go to the off licence is really kicking in and i want to ignore it and resist. Any advice? i really want to fight this and not keep giving in.

You should go to the doctors. Once you've made it 'official' and have someone else aware of your condition it will give you increase motivation to stay off the booze.

At the moment you're probably thinking "why don't I just go and get a drink. It won't do any harm and it will make my day a lot better". However if you accept that you have a problem you can change your mentality to "I can't have a drink because I have a problem that's ruining my life".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 8 days is a brilliant achievment. Have you gone to you GP or looked into organisations in your area who could help?

I know every borough is different, but maybe you can get support to make the days without drink pass easier.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Well done.
    Keep yourself busy. When you get the urge to drink again, go for a walk. Occupy your time with things that don't involve alcohol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Well done 8 days is brilliant and you have made the first big step by admitting to yourself that you have a problem.try to take each day as it comes.tommorrow will be day 9 which is even better than 8.try to keep yourself occupied good luck you can do it
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Drink lots of pop instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 days is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Youre already doing it! You could drink lots of your favourite pop, get a buzz from a gym or get some campral from your docs, its only a salt tablet that cost next to nothing, the docs will be happy to give them to you, they are supposed to put you off a bit.

Did you do this yourself withought Librium?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've done great!

What would you normally drink a day? a botle of whisky or beer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Try just to get until tomorrow. You just have to get through today and then you can drink tomorrow if you want. To not drink today is a lot easier than thinking about not drinking for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 days is amazing, Well done to you. You need to replace the drinking behaviour with something else...mine's is dog walking. I still drink moderately at the weekend but have cut out weekday drinking completely and when I feel like having a glass of wine I get the coat and boots on and it's out with the dog. Very best of luck and Never Give Up Giving Up!
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly 8 days is brilliant. I have a drink problem too and I've been seeing a local drugs & alcohol team to help me. I'm slowly cutting down the amount of units I drink, and how often I drink.
    I went from drinking 30 units every other day, and now I'm down to 20 units but only once or twice a week. I hope to go teetotal eventually.

But honestly 8 days is great. The first time you get to 2 weeks without a drink you'll feel so pleased with yourself. Maybe you could go to the cinema now to take your mind off it for a bit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the posts and the support:)
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Did you do this yourself withought Librium?

by myself
    scotch wrote: »
    You've done great!

What would you normally drink a day? a botle of whisky or beer?

could get thru a 70cl bottle of vodka (mi=xed with coke) or 2 litres of cider. never touched whisky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the posts and the support:)

by myself

could get thru a 70cl bottle of vodka (mi=xed with coke) or 2 litres of cider. never touched whisky.

Thats fantastic. Youre doing amazing.
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fantastic effort bloody well done. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Just tell yourself you will drink tomorrow - cos it never comes - stay strong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Well done so far!! Just keep reminding yourself how amazing you will feel tomorrow if u don't have a drink today and how amazing you will feel the next day if u don't have a drink tomorrow. if u have family/friends around you try and make yourself busy so ur distracted and not constantly thinking about a drink or start a new hobby such as join a gym. Now that your body is detoxing some light exercise will make you feel a lot healthier mentally as well as psychically. My dad had a very very bad alcohol problem, I watched him struggle every day for 12 years until he finally controlled it (he now only drinks 2 bottles of wine every night which is a big achievement for him) consider seeing your doctor or a councillor if you think it will help. Don't give up trying what ever you do. Good luck!!
  • Options
    sweaty71sweaty71 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Well done. I've managed 2 days but by the time it gets to 5pm I'm getting tetchy. Good luck anyway and it's good to see others who can inspire me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweaty71 wrote: »
    Well done. I've managed 2 days but by the time it gets to 5pm I'm getting tetchy. Good luck anyway and it's good to see others who can inspire me.:)

Well done to you to hun. Even if its 5pm. Thats great. :)
    Dont beat yourself up if its earlier or you drink twice as much at 5. Youre trying xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going along to a alcohol support service tomo to have a chat to someone. I think its time i faced the fact i can't quit it by myself.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going along to a alcohol support service tomo to have a chat to someone. I think its time i faced the fact i can't quit it by myself.

I think that's a great idea. My brother stopped cold turkey about 10 years ago (he was very high functioning, but an alcoholic nontheless) and I don't think he's really addressed it properly. He always seems very grumpy and unfulfilled. Some people need the extra support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once once saw a tv or film (cant remember for sure), but a character could not sleep, so he/she cleaned the bath, and while it was bad they could not sleep, when they got up in the morning, their bath was clean. Try cleaning, or organising your things. It may take you mind off the drink, and in the morning, your place will tidier and cleaner and something would of come of this low point your at. Not the best the advice I admit, but something to take your mind off the drink and a positive thing to wake upto in the morning. Hope you stay strong :)
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is real and serious response. Please, please - get in touch with the AA. Everyone there is an alcoholic. Eight days is absolutely wonderful - and a real triumph. But now you need help- and from those who know exactly what you are going through.

I have a personal connection with what the AA can do for you. Pick up the phone. You are not alone.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really glad you are going to see someone working for a support service. Its actually really dangerous to just stop drinking so hoping you get some good advice about how to reduce or replace alcohol with librium.

Stopping drinking is harder than stopping heroin so it really is wise to get help but the biggest asset you have is that you want to stop. Hang on to that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    8 days is fantastic. Keep it up.

I know how you feel. When I first gave up drinking, I could only relax until around 11 when all the pubs/off licenses nearby shut.

I found sugary tea and Haribo helped with cravings :)

As the above poster suggested, you may find AA useful. You would be surprised how many seemingly "normal" people there are around that suffer from a drink problem.

I hope you stick at it. You have no idea how your life can change for the better. All the best.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fantastic do you have a few spare quid now you're not spending it on booze. Sounds like you should go and treat yourself to something nice