TIVO Announcement

HorizonHorizon Posts: 1,572
Forum Member
✭✭✭
TIVO announcement:

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/p...920&highlight=

Press release in full:

03/11/10

Virgin Media announces details of new TiVo-powered next generation connected TV service

* New HD/3D set top box will offer 1TB of personal storage
* Thousands of hours of TV on Demand instantly available
* Dedicated internal modem to bring internet services and apps direct to TV

Virgin Media today announced the first details of its upcoming TiVo-powered HD/3D set top box which will give customers a whopping 1 TeraByte of storage for personal recordings. The new HD/3D set top box will launch alongside Virgin Media’s new TiVo-powered next generation connected TV service scheduled for later this year, and will be capable of storing up to 500 hours of content. When coupled with Virgin Media’s pioneering TV on Demand service, the new service will give UK consumers unrivalled access to over 4,600 hours of TV shows, movies and music videos, including hundreds of hours of HD and 3D entertainment, plus catch up TV from the terrestrial broadcasters, all available instantly.

Powered by Virgin Media’s unique fibre optic network, the box will also feature its own dedicated internal modem able to deliver HD video and other online services without impacting customers’ regular broadband connections. As a result, Virgin Media’s new TiVo-powered service will not only be able to deliver linear TV alongside an unbeatable instant TV on demand offering but will also be able to support compelling online video in HD straight to customers’ TVs without having to sacrifice other online activities when in use.

Competitors’ ‘connected TV’ products rely on just one central broadband connection, typically DSL, making it difficult for families to watch online TV or TV on Demand and take advantage of the internet at the same time. With Virgin Media, a typical family enjoying the new TiVo-powered TV service alongside Virgin Media's ultrafast 50Mb broadband connection will be able to enjoy a seamless experience with incredible connectivity, allowing the whole family to watch, surf, and play, all at the same time without compromise.

Cindy Rose, executive director of digital entertainment at Virgin Media, said: “Virgin Media’s next generation connected TV service - powered by TiVo - and combined with our superior broadband will blow other ‘connected TV’ products out of the water. We’re really proud of our new next-generation TV service which will appeal to anyone and everyone looking for the best of live broadcast TV, catch up, on demand and internet apps and services.”

Virgin Media and TiVo announced plans to join forces in November 2009. Virgin Media and TiVo have developed a unique converged television and interactive service bringing UK consumers the best in TV entertainment, be it broadcast, on demand or online.

Further details of pricing and availability will be announced in due course. For more information on Virgin Media products and services visit: www.virginmedia.com.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess the devil is in the detail, but the hard disk size is a massive improvement.

They need to let us know what the upgrade path is and costs involved.
  • Options
    HorizonHorizon Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...yes, short on details. No price, no timetable, they're going to string this out.
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horizon wrote: »
    TIVO announcement:

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/p...920&highlight=

Press release in full:

03/11/10

Virgin Media announces details of new TiVo-powered next generation connected TV service

* New HD/3D set top box will offer 1TB of personal storage
    * Thousands of hours of TV on Demand instantly available
    * Dedicated internal modem to bring internet services and apps direct to TV

Virgin Media today announced the first details of its upcoming TiVo-powered HD/3D set top box which will give customers a whopping 1 TeraByte of storage for personal recordings. The new HD/3D set top box will launch alongside Virgin Media’s new TiVo-powered next generation connected TV service scheduled for later this year, and will be capable of storing up to 500 hours of content. When coupled with Virgin Media’s pioneering TV on Demand service, the new service will give UK consumers unrivalled access to over 4,600 hours of TV shows, movies and music videos, including hundreds of hours of HD and 3D entertainment, plus catch up TV from the terrestrial broadcasters, all available instantly.

Powered by Virgin Media’s unique fibre optic network, the box will also feature its own dedicated internal modem able to deliver HD video and other online services without impacting customers’ regular broadband connections. As a result, Virgin Media’s new TiVo-powered service will not only be able to deliver linear TV alongside an unbeatable instant TV on demand offering but will also be able to support compelling online video in HD straight to customers’ TVs without having to sacrifice other online activities when in use.

Competitors’ ‘connected TV’ products rely on just one central broadband connection, typically DSL, making it difficult for families to watch online TV or TV on Demand and take advantage of the internet at the same time. With Virgin Media, a typical family enjoying the new TiVo-powered TV service alongside Virgin Media's ultrafast 50Mb broadband connection will be able to enjoy a seamless experience with incredible connectivity, allowing the whole family to watch, surf, and play, all at the same time without compromise.

Cindy Rose, executive director of digital entertainment at Virgin Media, said: “Virgin Media’s next generation connected TV service - powered by TiVo - and combined with our superior broadband will blow other ‘connected TV’ products out of the water. We’re really proud of our new next-generation TV service which will appeal to anyone and everyone looking for the best of live broadcast TV, catch up, on demand and internet apps and services.”

Virgin Media and TiVo announced plans to join forces in November 2009. Virgin Media and TiVo have developed a unique converged television and interactive service bringing UK consumers the best in TV entertainment, be it broadcast, on demand or online.

Further details of pricing and availability will be announced in due course. For more information on Virgin Media products and services visit: www.virginmedia.com.

I know this is really sad but I'm so excited!!! :D

I'm thinking that if it's a tenner a month the bye bye Sky Premium HD, hello Tivo!!!

Just not sure how much on top of that I'd pay in a lump sum (for the good old installation fee lol).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horizon wrote: »
    ...yes, short on details. No price, no timetable, they're going to string this out.

No not now I don't think.

Build momentum over the next couple of weeks, release prices in a fortnight and start taking orders with a guaranteed install date before Xmas is my guess!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I will be honest... I am drooling on my keyboard.... TIVOOOOOOOOO....slobber...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long before Sky release a press release for something? They quite often release news just after VM to trump them (or at least get their news nearer the top of the page)!

p.s. No need for sarcasm dipro LOLOLOL!!!!!
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    War On wrote: »

I'm thinking that if it's a tenner a month the bye bye Sky Premium HD, hello Tivo!!!

Just not sure how much on top of that I'd pay in a lump sum (for the good old installation fee lol).

To be honest as I pay Virgin over £100 per month at the moment it is price that is going to swing it for me - that and if the software on my existing V+ box is going to change.

It would be interesting if I can get traditional website thru the box as well - my wife currently watches DooTV via a laptop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest as I pay Virgin over £100 per month at the moment it is price that is going to swing it for me - that and if the software on my existing V+ box is going to change.

Yeah I can see that. I think if they do 'upgrade' the U.I. on existing boxes that they will take their time to do so (if at all). The only thing that worries me is that as upgrades have happened in the past, some of the legacy boxes have struggled to cope.

I don't think it will offer full interet access. I think it will be based more on apps so if the site you mentioned get into bed with Tivo/VM, it may well turn up.

VM and Tivo should really go for it here and allow users to create apps. Keep it secure and to set standards like Iphone/pad etc rather than Android but I really believe that would be a massive, worldwide game-changer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Is there anything we didn't already know in that?

Nothing on price or launch date. Nothing on what Tivo actually brings us - its only existing stuff that is mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »
    Is there anything we didn't already know in that?

Nothing on price or launch date. Nothing on what Tivo actually brings us - its only existing stuff that is mentioned.

No you're right but it is official know. Carl.waring informed us of a lot of this from the VM 'Sofa' event he went to and obviously other suggestions flying around the place.

Good to have it 100% confirmed though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    dipro wrote: »
    I will be honest... I am drooling on my keyboard.... TIVOOOOOOOOO....slobber...:rolleyes:

Not quite dooling but I now know what I want for Xmas and its not two front teeth:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deeps123 wrote: »
    Not quite dooling but I now know what I want for Xmas and its not two front teeth:)

All I want for Xmas is my new TIVO, my new TIVO, my new TIVO.....

oh, and an upgrade to 100MB would be nice too ! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will be worth having for the 1TB alone really - the current box really isn't cutting it with HD recordings.

apps wise it will probably be things like Flickr, Facebook etc that you can see on internet enabled tvs these days.

will be interesting to see how it compares to Google TV when it launches.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only it could stream stuff off of your network, like mkvs and avis then it would certainly be getting my money. But as is, I won't be giving virgin any more money for another box.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only it could stream stuff off of your network, like mkvs and avis then it would certainly be getting my money. But as is, I won't be giving virgin any more money for another box.

Even the current boxes could technically do it, they have the hardware to do it (USB and ethernet). But why would virgin enable it when 99% of the time its going to be used to view illegally downloaded stuff.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    War On wrote: »

Why on earth would anyone want to pay a.monthly fee for a PVR sky stopped charging for recording functions ages ago. The Sky Terrabyte box has an upfront cost but no extra monthly so why would people pay a tenner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why on earth would anyone want to pay a.monthly fee for a PVR sky stopped charging for recording functions ages ago. The Sky Terrabyte box has an upfront cost but no extra monthly so why would people pay a tenner.

Er, I don't think that is exactly correct......:confused:

I can only assume you have a "deal" - 6 months free something, etc...... I am confused.com....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought sky still charge a tenner for recording function, or do they only charge this for PVR to work with FTA card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I thought sky still charge a tenner for recording function, or do they only charge this for PVR to work with FTA card.

So did I... as I have 2 SKY HD Amstrad 1TB boxes... and they charge me... but I am awaiting his response....hence... confused.com :confused:
  • Options
    ClaratClarat Posts: 4,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it Sky HD that Sky charge a monthly fee for? I think they used to charge a fee for Sky+ but dropped it a few years ago I think.
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure that you only pay the £10 monthly fee if you use it for free to air channels. If you have a sky paid for package of any level, the PVR functionality of Sky plus is free.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    passingbat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you only pay the £10 monthly fee if you use it for free to air channels. If you have a sky paid for package of any level, the PVR functionality of Sky plus is free.

Correct, Sky+ is 'free' with any subscription, or £10 per month if you aren't a subscriber.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No charge so long as you take a Sky package even as low as just 1 mix. The Terrabyte box is 299.00 but then free per month if u take a sky mix.
  • Options
    Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the built in modem that fascinates me.... can't wait.

Tivo and 100meg = me a very happy man.

I'm already paying £150.24 per month but cannot wait for the extras... get a move on VM!