Turn Back Time Howlers

buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After watching the concluding episode this week - The "Corner Shop" must be the only one in the UK that does not sell Cigarettes - a staple product along with Alcohol in most of the emporiums I used to frequent in the seventies.

The Supermarket would also have had them - used to be by the tills if I remember correctly.

Also "Irn Bru" was featured which I'm sure was unavailable in most of England at that time.

Have the PC Brigade been at it again:p:D:D

Comments

• fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the **** and booze, I used to have to go and get my Mum bottles of Cider and no 6 plain **** but they always had Irn bru next to the Tizer and Peardrax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think it would have been a licensing problem maybe? As each of the decades was a different shop they would have had to apply for a license each time wouldn't they?

Or it could be the PC brigade at the BBC
  • FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a regulation issue, packaging cigarettes and alcohol in traditional packaging may cause problems if they don't have the information/warnings modern day packages have and also you may need a licence from the customs/excise to do it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I noticed in the 70's one they had an old record (vinyl) shop, but didnt they have cassettes by then? Cassette tapes were invented in 1964 by Phillips.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it would be impossible for them to get everything right and it would be a bit churlish to pick on a few errors they made in an otherwise excellent series.
    Full coverage of the series in the dedicated thread.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1380274

However as was suggested by many, getting both the new record shop and the new milk bar "ten years out of their time" was a very basic error.
    Forum Member
    The record shop seemed a bit old fashioned and just a curiosity IMO - even for 1975 - the Walkman was only a few years away by then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The record shop seemed a bit old fashioned and just a curiosity IMO - even for 1975 - the Walkman was only a few years away by then!

Yes it was, as has been said, like the milk bar in the previous week, it was at least ten years too late.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irn Bru was on sale in 1946 but I don't think it was heard of outside of Scotland.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I noticed in the 70's one they had an old record (vinyl) shop, but didnt they have cassettes by then? Cassette tapes were invented in 1964 by Phillips.

Cassettes did actually feature in that episode.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »
    Irn Bru was on sale in 1946 but I don't think it was heard of outside of Scotland.

I am from Kent and Irn Bru was around in the 60's and 70's down that way.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure exactly what you are saying here as i didn't see the programme but!, all my music in those days was on vinyl, mainly Rod Stewart LP's if my memory serves me right!.....

There wasn't the money about in those days to rush and buy all the new latest gadgets that came out like nowadays, we had a big unit with a built in record player and to buy cassettes you would have to buy a cassette player!, i think the first time we had one in our house was when my girls born in 1970 and 1972 were taking an interest in music and i dont suppose that would have been until the early eighties
  • buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, it would be impossible for them to get everything right and it would be a bit churlish to pick on a few errors they made in an otherwise excellent series.
    Full coverage of the series in the dedicated thread.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1380274

However as was suggested by many, getting both the new record shop and the new milk bar "ten years out of their time" was a very basic error.

Although they mentioned creditably that the Asian Shopkeeper had been the victim of racism and violence during the era - what was the "Elephant in the Room " ?

They failed to mention the "colloquial term " for a shop with proprietors emanating from the sub-continent that was in common use at the time (thus avoiding much angst amongst Guardian chomping muesli readers sensibilities no doubt)

The P*K* Shop:o
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »

Irn Bru was certainly on sale in Yorkshire in the 1960s because I used to drink it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Not sure exactly what you are saying here as i didn't see the programme but!, all my music in those days was on vinyl, mainly Rod Stewart LP's if my memory serves me right!.....

There wasn't the money about in those days to rush and buy all the new latest gadgets that came out like nowadays, we had a big unit with a built in record player and to buy cassettes you would have to buy a cassette player!, i think the first time we had one in our house was when my girls born in 1970 and 1972 were taking an interest in music and i dont suppose that would have been until the early eighties

I bought my first proper "hifi" in 1972. It consisted of separate units, a tuner/amp, record deck, tape deck and two speakers. This configuration was a "must have" for many people in those days. I think the lot cost me just under two hundred and fifty quid, I don't know what that would have been in "real money" today.

I had a cassette tape player in my car before the mid seventies with one of the first units that would "find" the next track when you fast forwarded it. These machines superceded "8 track" car cassette players, so the facility to play tapes was very common in the early seventies. There were also transistor radios with duel tape decks, so you could copy one tape to another.
    Forum Member
    I used to have a cassette player with 2 decks :D
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those minor errors pale in comparison to the historical clanger on the One Show yesterday.

During the feature on Christmas during WW2 they said people watched the King's speech and showed King George V.. I though "maybe it was supposed to be WW1" but they preceded to state "Christmas in 1945".

Anyway, loved Turn Back Time. Shame they didn't show the 80's but I'd imagine it would have been just like the '70's episode.
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my first proper "hifi" in 1972. It consisted of separate units, a tuner/amp, record deck, tape deck and two speakers. This configuration was a "must have" for many people in those days. I think the lot cost me just under two hundred and fifty quid, I don't know what that would have been in "real money" today.

I had a cassette tape player in my car before the mid seventies with one of the first units that would "find" the next track when you fast forwarded it. These machines superceded "8 track" car cassette players, so the facility to play tapes was very common in the early seventies. There were also transistor radios with duel tape decks, so you could copy one tape to another.

Portable mono tape recorders were quite successful in the '70s, but most people were moving to all-in-one "music centres" by the end of the decade. Cassettes only really started to dominate in the '80s when boom-boxes, Walkman-type devices, tower systems with tape to tape facilities and better sound quality (via chromium dioxide tapes) started to become available and affordable.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You wasn't watching properly then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Doghouse Riley;46461148]I bought my first proper "hifi" in 1972. It consisted of separate units, a tuner/amp, record deck, tape deck and two speakers. This configuration was a "must have" for many people in those days. I think the lot cost me just under two hundred and fifty quid, I don't know what that would have been in "real money" today.

I had a cassette tape player in my car before the mid seventies with one of the first units that would "find" the next track when you fast forwarded it. These machines superceded "8 track" car cassette players, so the facility to play tapes was very common in the early seventies. There were also transistor radios with duel tape decks, so you could copy one tape to another.[/QUOTE]

Ooh yes!, i remember those!, i had a friend/neighbour who's husband bought the same, and they were so proud of it!..regarding the money side of it!, we bought our first house in 1974, a 3 bedroom terrace, and it cost us £9.400.00, i cant quite remember how much the mortgage was but i am fairly sure my husband was earning about £33, per week (take home).. i had a part time evening job at the local telephone exchange and i brought home about £9.50p a week, so if your hi fi cost around £260 pounds i would say that was an awful lot of money then!, no wonder we didn't have one!......:D... but how interesting, going back to those days, i really wanted to see the two programmes on the 60's and the 70's but something else was on the other side!, The jungle i think?, and i missed them!, hopefully they will be repeated and i will get a second chance!......:)

Ooh, and we never had a car that early!, it wasn't until the law was changed and women could work all night that i changed to full time and we could afford to get one!...that was in about 1980ish i think!.....
  • DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really wanted to see the two programmes on the 60's and the 70's but something else was on the other side!, The jungle i think?, and i missed them!, hopefully they will be repeated and i will get a second chance!......:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Turn%20Back%20Time%20-%20The%20High%20Street

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh thanks Diego, i think i will watch one of them now, being as there is nothing holding my attention on the tv!.......:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh yes!, i remember those!, i had a friend/neighbour who's husband bought the same, and they were so proud of it!..regarding the money side of it!, we bought our first house in 1974, a 3 bedroom terrace, and it cost us £9.400.00, i cant quite remember how much the mortgage was but i am fairly sure my husband was earning about £33, per week (take home).. i had a part time evening job at the local telephone exchange and i brought home about £9.50p a week, so if your hi fi cost around £260 pounds i would say that was an awful lot of money then!, no wonder we didn't have one!......:D... but how interesting, going back to those days, i really wanted to see the two programmes on the 60's and the 70's but something else was on the other side!, The jungle i think?, and i missed them!, hopefully they will be repeated and i will get a second chance!......:)

Ooh, and we never had a car that early!, it wasn't until the law was changed and women could work all night that i changed to full time and we could afford to get one!...that was in about 1980ish i think!.....

I was a bit miffed about my tuner amp as it gave up the ghost this year and would have cost quite a bit to repair. But I was able to buy something ten years younger and equally as good to replace it for just over £30 on eBay.
    This sort of all singin' and dancin' equipment with a fantastic sound quality and output, fortunately isn't popular amongst younger people now. So everything's fine again.

We bought our house in 1972, our (third) new kitchen five years ago cost more than what we paid for the house.
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    You wasn't watching properly then?

I didnt hear cassettes mentioned :)
  • DiegoJusticiaDiegoJusticia Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thanks Diego, i think i will watch one of them now, being as there is nothing holding my attention on the tv!.......:cool:

You are very welcome - enjoy! :D
    I didnt hear cassettes mentioned :)

IIRC, the record shop guy offered them to the older couple that complained about the records jumping/skipping and as an alternative format to attempt to keep their custom. He had some cassette albums in stock.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    IIRC, the record shop guy offered them to the older couple that complained about the records jumping/skipping and as an alternative format to attempt to keep their custom. He had some cassette albums in stock.
    Indeed he did. They were clearly shown in-shot too. It was fairly quick (only 30 secs or so) so the OP may have easily missed that bit.