Options

Kimberley Walsh's bad singing performance on NTA last night

1235»

Comments

• Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what I was watching but I saw clips of the PS:TR live shows on a programme recently and I was shocked at how bad the contestants sounded! The must have sounded fine to me as a child when it was originally on because I thought they were great, but now... they wouldn't get past the first audition on X Factor, and that's saying something.
    The quality of contestants has gotton a lot better but that's probably due to them being known to producers before the show ;)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The quality of contestants has gotton a lot better but that's probably due to them being known to producers before the show ;)

I can't say I'm altogether against that if it avoids PS:TR's level of talent :D
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's just finished butchering "Duhfying Gravudy" on Let's Dance For Comic Relief. All shout, no nuance and 4 backing singers to singalong with the difficult bits (ie most of it.)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone really needs to tell Kimberley that this whole musical theatre thing just isn't going to happen, because her voice isn't at all strong enough. I was cringing listening to her sing the song from Wicked just then. It was terrible. The second time she's butchered a song in as many weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am shocked. That was so bad.

Why is she picking all of these singers songs to destroy. I mean come on Defying Gravity you need an amazing voice to pull off. Singing a Randy Crawford song too?? Does she not know her voice limits. Go down the Kylie pop route but this!!?!?!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Glad it wasn't just me cringing! I haven't heard her singing on her own before and after that massacre I don't think I'll be seeking her out
  • Options
    QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought everyone knew it was only Nadine and Nicola who could actually sing in GA?! I didn't realise Kimberley having a poor quality voice for a "singer" was brand new information!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am shocked. That was so bad.

Why is she picking all of these singers songs to destroy. I mean come on Defying Gravity you need an amazing voice to pull off. Singing a Randy Crawford song too?? Does she not know her voice limits. Go down the Kylie pop route but this!!?!?!?

Absolutely. At least Mrs Cole knows her limits as a vocalist and sticks to dance/pop and a big backing track to cover her weaknesses. If Kimbers was on XF, they'd be telling her the songs are too big for her.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kimberley only ended up in GA by default - she replaced another girl who decided to leave. She wasn't initially picked to be in the group because her vocals were not good enough.
    They probably chose her as a replacement because she was the best out of a bad bunch of singers left over.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Kimberley. Last nights performance was awful. That big note at the very end was embarrassing and seemed to go on forever :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Kimberley only ended up in GA by default - she replaced another girl who decided to leave. She wasn't initially picked to be in the group because her vocals were not good enough.
    They probably chose her as a replacement because she was the best out of a bad bunch of singers left over.

And did she not have the face and figure that she's got, she wouldn't have got anywhere near the top 50, let alone made the band
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Absolutely. At least Mrs Cole knows her limits as a vocalist and sticks to dance/pop and a big backing track to cover her weaknesses. If Kimbers was on XF, they'd be telling her the songs are too big for her.

This is very true... whoever decided to cash in on Kimberley's success on Strictly with an album of show tunes really messed up! I never liked any of Girls Aloud and thought they were all poor singers, bar Nadine, but this sort of music just shows her up even more. I do wonder what the music industry is playing at sometimes!
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    This is very true... whoever decided to cash in on Kimberley's success on Strictly with an album of show tunes really messed up! I never liked any of Girls Aloud and thought they were all poor singers, bar Nadine, but this sort of music just shows her up even more. I do wonder what the music industry is playing at sometimes!

She recorded it pre-Strictly, and the thing with Kimberley is that when she's 'on it' her voice is actually lovely. Her voice has such a nice tone to it and she can convey emotion exceptionally - she struggles with power notes but she can hit them brilliantly from time to time. It just seems that when she's on a big stage and she doesn't have everything going on around her, or the rest of GA by her side, it just doesn't happen for her. She reminds me of Heidi from the Sugababes in that on the right day she can be brilliant, but she never seems to hit it live when it really counts.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Poor Kimberley. Last nights performance was awful. That big note at the very end was embarrassing and seemed to go on forever :o
    When sung by a proper singer, it's a real hair on the back of the neck moment.

It is not a song for mediocre pop tartlets!
  • Options
    Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard her on the dance for comic relief the other night. My daughter could not believe how bad she sounded and her end note she looked at me in horror!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »

It was Nicola who replaced the girl who dropped out of Popstars the Rivals, Kimberley was always in line for a place in the band. Apart from Nadine and Javine none of the finalists were anything special vocally, Nicola is OK, but the rest were always awful singers.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why anyone would want to but an album of KW singing show tunes is completely beyond me, especially when there are some classy West End performers who can do them 100 X better. I saw her murdering one of them on daytime telly the other day and her backing singers were doing all the high notes for her. That, in itself, was embarrassing. In fact, I can't even remember which song it was. I just remember how blatant it looked that there were superior singers covering her backside, so to speak. I don't know if she did the same thing with 'Defying Gravity' but I'm glad to have missed it as I love the song and hate hearing it sung badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Nicola who replaced the girl who dropped out of Popstars the Rivals, Kimberley was always in line for a place in the band. Apart from Nadine and Javine none of the finalists were anything special vocally, Nicola is OK, but the rest were always awful singers.

Kimberley didn't make the final 10 originally. She got through because there was a pregnant Irish girl who they found out had lied about her age. Nicola got in when another girl called Nicola dropped out due to having a control freak BF who wanted a say in everything she did in the house and wouldn't let her pose for some of the publicity shots without his approval.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Kimberley didn't make the final 10 originally. She got through because there was a pregnant Irish girl who they found out had lied about her age. Nicola got in when another girl called Nicola dropped out due to having a control freak BF who wanted a say in everything she did in the house and wouldn't let her pose for some of the publicity shots without his approval.

Oh Hazel!! I'd totally forgotten about her. She is the sister of one of The Wanted, she had an excellent voice but with her being so heavily pregnant it was never going to work out.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    When sung by a proper singer, it's a real hair on the back of the neck moment.

It is not a song for mediocre pop tartlets!

She keeps making this mistake, taking on songs that are way too big for her. Perhaps she doesn't realise how limited a vocalist she is.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    She recorded it pre-Strictly, and the thing with Kimberley is that when she's 'on it' her voice is actually lovely. Her voice has such a nice tone to it and she can convey emotion exceptionally - she struggles with power notes but she can hit them brilliantly from time to time. It just seems that when she's on a big stage and she doesn't have everything going on around her, or the rest of GA by her side, it just doesn't happen for her. She reminds me of Heidi from the Sugababes in that on the right day she can be brilliant, but she never seems to hit it live when it really counts.

When she was on Strictly they showed a VT of her in the recording studio - so she was still recording it while she was doing Strictly. I believe the release of the album in February was timed to capitalise on the publicity she got from appearing on Strictly.

Kimbereley is a lovely person but imo she's not a very good singer. She's ok as part of a pop group but certainly not cut out for huge musical theatre songs which are beyond her singing range . If she wanted to do solo stuff she should have stuck to lightweight pop songs imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as Kimberley had eight months experience singing in the West End musical (never mind all the Girls Aloud tours, appearances etc before live audiences etc) I think it is totally ridiculous that she let nerves get the best of her for the NTA, the other girls Ella (?) from X factor did a professional job, with little stage experience, compared to Kimberley.

Perhaps like Cheryl, Kimberley was mimming in the musical,
    whats for sure is you know a very poor performance when you hear it
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this on Saturday... ermmm... whoa... musical theatre seems a rather odd path for someone not known for vocal prowess. The kind of songs she's singing are well known and right now people think of them being sung by someone like Idina Menzel, Lea Michele or even Samantha Barks. Doing covers, let alone live performances, was surely a disaster waiting to happen?