Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prefer Father Christmas because Santa is an anagram of Satan
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is called lots of different things depending on which country you are from. In Holland he is called sinterklaas, from which we derive Santa Claus and the abbreviation Santa. Given that America is and has been over run with European immigrants then it's hardly surprising that influences from European culture have filtered through to form the name Santa.

But in all honesty, does it really matter?

The image of Father Christmas as a jolly round fellow with a white beard and a red suit is a million miles from St. Nicolas, the third century Greek monk living in what is now modern day Turkey.
  • SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid it was Father Christmas,now we do say Santa more.I blame the Americans too,all this Halloween rubbish and school proms:D
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get whats wrong with adopting some american things, happy holidays everyone!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    Santa suits me fine. FC is for pompous snobs

Well done for insulting most of Britain.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Papá Noel
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This place beggars belief at times.
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    If you think I'm cross you should go into Central and Eastern Europe, in the Czech Republic and Slovakia they don't have Father Christmas at all, their presents are delivered by the Baby Jesus who flies from house to house in his manger. A lot of Czechs and Slovaks are now furious at the attempted infiltration of Father Christmas and vehemently resist his influence.

This is all in spite of the fact that these two countries have some of the highest rates of atheism in the world
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Does Father Christmas have a granddaughter maybe? Now, that would be hot. We would call her Babe Christmas :D On a serious note, I agree with the OP.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Padre Navidad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I will ask him on Xmas morning which he prefers, that's if i catch him,, he's usually nicked all the mince pies and brandy and sodded off, by the time i get up
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    Santa suits me fine. FC is for pompous snobs

What's wrong with football clubs?

Serious;=ly though, how on earth is my use of Father Christmas pompous, and how does it make me a snob? Bizarre reasoning skills you have there.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a new thing. I've always known him as Father Christmas too, as it's what my parents said, and what I was brought up with. It was what Raymond Briggs said, and what Tolkien said (I had the WONDERFUL Father Christmas Letters book as a child). But when 'Santa' came to our school in my very first term there (1976?) I was apparently up in arms because he couldn't possibly be the REAL one, who was called Father Christmas. It was only then that I realised that all my friends said Santa.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If you must blame someone blame the Dutch.

Awwwww. Why can't we blame the Muslims like on most threads?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    This place beggars belief at times.

Are you trying to suggest that there may be more important things to worry about or that mature adults could do something more useful than get their knickers in a twist over the name of a fictional character? :o

Santa won't be paying you a visit this year! :D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up with Father Christmas. My three eldest grandchildren are Scottish, there he is called Santa.

My two youngest grandchildren know him as both, as I still say Father Christmas and my daughter says Santa. But when the two year old is asked who that man in red is, she will say Father Christmas :D

I am a bit sad that Father Christmas is dying out and you never see him anymore only the American Santa. But you cannot stop change.
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Santa is promoted by athiests who want to take Christ out of CHRIST MASS.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are all deceiving yourselves, Father Christmas does not exsist,

what has the world come too?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm nearer 50 than I'd like and he has always been Santa to me.

Now that I have typed this, I realise I have typed it before. On this very message board.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Or by pagans who resent having had their midwinter celebration hijacked by christians. :kitty:
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditionally Father Christmas was a English character who encouraged feasting and general goodwill at Christmas (dating back to Tudor times) - but didn't distribute gifts.

Whereas Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) was a Greek Christian bishop famous for giving gifts to the poor - but not at Christmas time. St Nicholas' Day is 6th December (the day of his death), not 25th December.

In Dutch and Belgian folklore, Sinterklaas was an elderly bearded gentleman with a red cape who gives presents to good children on 5th December, the day before St Nicholas' Day.

All three were rolled up into one single figure who has Father Christmas's tradition of being a fat, jolly character who visits at Christmastime, has St Nicholas's tradition of bearing gifts and has the clothing and beard bestowed upon him from Sinterklaas some time in the early 19th century.

And Coca Cola were certainly not the first commercial company to give him the traditional coloured uniform and beard in the 1930s. A completely different drinks manufacturer called White Rock Beverages had portrayed him distributing mineral water in America, 20 years earlier, in his red and white costumer with his full white beard.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

Santa is Saint Nicholas, so how did you come to that conclusion??

I would not produce that charlatan :D
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can call him what they want.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditionally Father Christmas was a English character who encouraged feasting and general goodwill at Christmas (dating back to Tudor times) - but didn't distribute gifts.

Whereas Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas) was a Greek Christian bishop famous for giving gifts to the poor - but not at Christmas time. St Nicholas' Day is 6th December (the day of his death), not 25th December.

In Dutch and Belgian folklore, Sinterklaas was an elderly bearded gentleman with a red cape who gives presents to good children on 5th December, the day before St Nicholas' Day.

All three were rolled up into one single figure who has Father Christmas's tradition of being a fat, jolly character who visits at Christmastime, has St Nicholas's tradition of bearing gifts and has the clothing and beard bestowed upon him from Sinterklaas some time in the early 19th century.

And Coca Cola were certainly not the first commercial company to give him the traditional coloured uniform and beard in the 1930s. A completely different drinks manufacturer called White Rock Beverages had portrayed him distributing mineral water in America, 20 years earlier, in his red and white costumer with his full white beard.

I was just going to post this, I never knew they were separate people. Very interesting.
    http://www.arthuriana.co.uk/xmas/pages/english.htm