Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Did I read somewhere that the pilots mate had just been sent to prison the week before? Could this not be some kind of hijacking and attempt to have them release him and he will release the passengers? Maybe negotiations are ongoing about this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that the pilots mate had just been sent to prison the week before? Could this not be some kind of hijacking and attempt to have them release him and he will release the passengers? Maybe negotiations are ongoing about this?

not sure if it was his friend, but it was a politician that he was an avid fan of
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Sorry for being so obtuse but what is the difference between the 2?

Money vs politics
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I'm thinking more 'piracy' than 'terrorism'....

Interesting... but I'd need more info before I buy into it.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are being too sucked into what you perceive as traditional terrorist activity. How many hijackings with demands have been successfull? NOt many if any id wager. They always get caught or get killed by some swat team in the end.

Lets just imagine for example this was a coordinated terrorist takeover of the plane (which I don;t think is what happened BTW, but im playing devil's advocate), just because that was the way terrorist hijackings happened in the past (IE terrorists went on TV and made it known it was them and their demands), does not mean it will happen like that this time.

Some terrorists might be smarter. For example, why give away to the world what you have done before you've had time to dig in and secure yourself. Maybe these terrorists took the plane to a well defensible island where they were based. They don't want to give away they have done it yet because once they do, the entire world's secret services will be on their case and most likely have them tracked and located. So they wait, have the world scrambling around like idiots trying to deduce what happened, have them wasting millions upon millions on search efforts and wasted time. Then once the terrorists have their position secured, then they make their demands, meaning they are in complete control of the situation.

I agree, it's just I don't think this is what has happened in this case. I think we're all in the same boat of knowing next to nothing, and I don't like jumping to conclusions without something concrete. Which is why I lean towards accident, it has the least amount of hammering square pieces into round slots atm. When new info comes out, I'm willing to go with it, but until then i think jumping to terrorism/ hijacking takes a lot of leaps of faith, and is more a reactionary conclusion given recent history, than any basis in fact (as things stand).
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Money vs politics

Thx.

I think that the pilots will come out of this as heroic once the investigators have found the plane and figured out what went wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if kay is doing another special report today?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are being too sucked into what you perceive as traditional terrorist activity. How many hijackings with demands have been successfull? NOt many if any id wager. They always get caught or get killed by some swat team in the end.

A colleague earlier in the week had noted that most plane hijackers were defectors, and about 70% were killed in plane crashes. Mostly due to running out of fuel.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    not sure if it was his friend, but it was a politician that he was an avid fan of

Not sure if "avid fan" is quite right either. It was the leader of the opposition liberal party, who for a long time has been a bit of a thorn in the side of the more conservative status quo. Some rather dodgy charges have been pressed for a while by the state prosecutors (which kept getting rejected by judges until they finally made them stick - Sodomy is, of course, hard to prove but seen as serious enough for prison in an Islamic country), and the obvious suspicion is that the Government have applied the necessary encouragement for this to happen. Captain Shah expressed his dismay at this process, but that's no different to how many protesters here would decry such shenanigans.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    So what if the co pilot said "all right, good night" ??

In what context was it? They were leaving Malaysia airspace and traffic control.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    No chance this aircraft is going to be successfully used as a weapon even if that is the intent.

The air traffic controllers of the entire world, and all radars and means to track, must now be keeping the most eagle eyes on literally anything that might suddenly appear where it shouldn't be, and if discovered would be acted upon immediately.

Plus, if this aircraft was landed, presumably low or almost out of aviation fuel, and is intended to fly again, just how is it going to get refuelled without drawing attention? Filling up again is not as easy as would be imagined I am sure. A few jerry cans aren't much use when it needs tens of thousands of gallons.

Whoever took the plane got away with successfully hyjacking it and now hiding it somewhere so re fuleing it shouldnt be a problem for them
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plane needs aviation fuel, so it won't be possible to pop along to the nearest BP or Shell garage. (Mind you, even if you could fly on petrol you'd need quite a lot of it!).

I think refuelling will be a problem, as will lots of other things.

Everyone knows there's a plane missing. At some point, things being done to get a missing plane ready to fly again will be spotted by someone that will tip off the authorities.

If nothing else, the US Government and others will be working overtime to get intelligence and tip offs - as well as speaking to inside contacts that might know what happened or have found out over the last week.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    So what if the plane has parked up somewhere? Are the passengers still alive? If so what are they eating? 230 or so people for 7-8 days would take a lot of feeding.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought, but could the fact nothing has been found floating in the sea determine that the plane may be on land - whether landed or crashed?
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    So what if the co pilot said "all right, good night" ??

In what context was it? They were leaving Malaysia airspace and traffic control.

I think the implication is that whatever was going on, was going on at this point, and that the flight deck would have known about it, so it implies that the co-pilot was at the wheel at this point, I think. I don't think the words themselves are particularly significant.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    So what if the plane has parked up somewhere? Are the passengers still alive? If so what are they eating? 230 or so people for 7-8 days would take a lot of feeding.

The amount of food needed to feed a couple of hundred people would be miniscule ( a few sacks of porridge would suffice) compared to the amount of fuel needed to re-fuel a plane. Anyway, why bother keeping the passengers alive unless there is a swift ransom demand? If the plane has been hijacked by terrorists with the intent of stealing the plane itself, cannot see any reason why they should be bothered in the least to feed and corral the passengers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »

IF it has been hijacked and IF it has been landed somewhere, and IF all the passengers are being held captive, then it will be a very well planned event, so they'll have probably planned that too.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder if the authorities have already got a ransom demand but we're not going to hear about it until either a) a successful rescue mission or b) an unsuccessful rescue mission
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read on another site that the possible reason the Americans believe it to be in the north zone is because all the Ocean in that area is covered with intense sonar to detect any ground activity for earthquakes under water which in turn could lead to a tsunami. So if they didn't picked anything up on sonar on the 8th then its not in the water. Not sure how accurate that is.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    I do wonder if the authorities have already got a ransom demand but we're not going to hear about it until either a) a successful rescue mission or b) an unsuccessful rescue mission

Exactly there could already be a stand-off going on for all we know, which may not be in the public interest to declare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read on another site that the possible reason the Americans believe it to be in the north zone is because all the Ocean in that area is covered with intense sonar to detect any ground activity for earthquakes under water which in turn could lead to a tsunami. So if they didn't picked anything up on sonar on the 8th then its not in the water. Not sure how accurate that is.

Sounds unlikely, to be honest. The amount of 'noise' this would make would be a mere drop in the ocean (boom boom) compared to general wave and other surface activity....
  • Options
    Helen567Helen567 Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Only problem with the "hijacked to use later" scenario, ... In fact any other terrorist scenareo is why steal a 777 for use later?

If you want to fly a bomb into a city undetected you would buy or steal a private plane.

A whole airliner and all this effort is stupid.

Either it was hijacked and something went wrong and crashed or it lost control and systems and crashed.

All this "they know more" , " its a cover up", "the government is telling lies" etc is natural in people where there isn't many facts and where they can't understand. Like religion and superstition.

I agree. I fail to see how it could be used again, certainly not in the near future seeing as everyone is looking for it at the moment,
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds unlikely, to be honest. The amount of 'noise' this would make would be a mere drop in the ocean (boom boom) compared to general wave and other surface activity....

Yeah. Radar and many other things can be extremely sensitive, but you'd have to turn down the sensitivity to prevent millions of false alarms.

A plane hitting the water at any speed or angle isn't going to be comparable to an underwater earthquake.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I completely agree. Some people here seem to think we're going to be told every little detail when clearly we're not as it could jeopardise the investigation, especially if it is terrorists.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This whole mystery sounds so gripping and exciting at the moment, but in the end I think the climax to it could end up exceptionally dull and almost anticlimactic. People are almost willing it to have a sensational ending with the passengers alive. It's remote.

I also think there is likely to be some kind of partial news blackout going on here, for sensible reasons. The media should not expect the automatic right to every scrap of available information immediately on demand.
This discussion has been closed.