Options

HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ep9 preview - Now that's a fighting pit!
  • Options
    missbeeniemissbeenie Posts: 4,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That giant came in pretty handy towards the end there!

Changed his tune, the brute.. I thought he was going to help the guys in the boat and help pull them in.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I knew nothing about what was to come I probably should have learnt my lesson after the red wedding but my thinking was Oberyn was a relatively new character would he really be killed off so soon!
    They got me with the 'Rule of 9', which is to say that it was up until that point typically the ninth episode of the series that did something either bold or gamechanging - Season 1 had Ned's execution, Season 2 had the Battle of Blackwater, Season 3 had the Red Wedding... I expected something big to happen in the ninth and penultimate episode of Season 4 which it did, though they pulled the rug from beneath my feet with the shocking end to the eighth episode too.

The second half of Season 5 has been a notable improvement over the first half. The pacing is still admittedly all over the place, but there's at last something worth pacing. Regarding the most recent episode I'll simply sum it up as the most interesting Jon Snow has been in absolutely ages, the most interesting Daenerys has been in absolutely ages, the most interesting Tyrion has been in absolutely ages, and Cersei has been the most reliably interesting character this season (as have Margaery and Tommen...the whole King's Landing power void is definitely my favourite thing this season).

Arya has proved to be a bit of a letdown... there's been glimmers of promise, but mostly her story is just too slow and tacked on right now. It never flows with anything else, and just feels quite jarring. A shame, given she had the closing shot of Season 4. I also think the stuff at Winterfell is a bit dull. I'm really not that interested any more for some reason in the Bolton's, and as great as the acting is I just don't see Ramsay as anywhere near as interesting as, say, Joffrey was in the powerful maniac role. Perhaps the biggest criticism apart from the pacing was the lack of any big notable events in the first half of the season. Season 4 had the Purple Wedding near the beginning, Season 3 had Daenerys' awesome takeover of Meereen early on... this season lacked something similar and it took a long while for anything to really get moving. I guess that ties in with the pacing, because other things now feel somewhat more rushed than they should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missbeenie wrote: »
    Changed his tune, the brute.. I thought he was going to help the guys in the boat and help pull them in.

He just wandered off into the sea seems he'll be swimming his way back to the wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They got me with the 'Rule of 9', which is to say that it was up until that point typically the ninth episode of the series that did something either bold or gamechanging - Season 1 had Ned's execution, Season 2 had the Battle of Blackwater, Season 3 had the Red Wedding... I expected something big to happen in the ninth and penultimate episode of Season 4 which it did, though they pulled the rug from beneath my feet with the shocking end to the eighth episode too.

Agreed! Ep9 next week and Jorah is in the fighting pit.. Not looking good for him!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, loved the episode, simply loved it!.
  • Options
    jwarjwar Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    best episode this season!
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my word what an ending! Best episode of the season so far yet again and next week is the infamous episode 9 and judging by the promo and the season 5 trailers of what accompanies what happens in this episode this is shaping up to be the best ending of a season yet even if the start was quite slow.

A bit worried that Ramsay's plan will work and that Stannis will be at an even bigger disadvantage with what he ends up doing.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I like what happened with Arya in the books and it's a shame that Lady Stoneheart isn't in the series as that would be awesome
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit confused about how Jon was able to kill that white walker :confused:. Is Valerian steel capable of killing them or does it depend on who wields it?

Agree with others re Arya and her story. It's really boring and I was considering even skipping it :blush:. 8 episodes in and she's barely got anywhere or done anything, I don't see that dramatically changing by the end of the season.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit confused about how Jon was able to kill that white walker :confused:. Is Valerian steel capable of killing them

Yes :)
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused about how Jon was able to kill that white walker :confused:. Is Valerian steel capable of killing them or does it depend on who wields it?

Agree with others re Arya and her story. It's really boring and I was considering even skipping it :blush:. 8 episodes in and she's barely got anywhere or done anything, I don't see that dramatically changing by the end of the season.

Really don't understand people who say they would willingly fast-forward through scenes in the best TV Show the world has ever seen. Are your lives so filled with excitement and wonder that you can't sit still for less than an hour and watch a programme properly? :(
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Yes :)

Ah ty.
    Really don't understand people who say they would willingly fast-forward through scenes in the best TV Show the world has ever seen. Are your lives so filled with excitement and wonder that you can't sit still for less than an hour and watch a programme properly? :(

Like I said a lack of progression IMO for 8 episodes has left me with a sense of apathy where Arya is concerned. She was one of my favourite characters before this season but shunting her off to Braavos has taken her away from any of the main story.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an episode !!!! :o
    I loved it, the white walkers are just so creepy especially the King stood on the end of the jetty....
    Great to see Dany and Tyrion exchanging stories on their bad daddies lol.....
    Going to have to watch this one again I think......:D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The last 15 minutes saved that episode IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member

The hype is strong in this one! LOL. :D

The battle sequence was good, but overall this season blows.

I know people don't like to hear it, but the fact IS, the books are better.

For one, Reek doesn't look like he's just been to the local gents hairdressers to get his designer beard trimmed. He's a tortured soul, too far gone to even recognize he's still human. Think a thinner version of Gollum, eating rats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean the Arya who has managed to get into the group where identity is fluid and whose now learning a lot
    She's done a lot but it isn't showy like some storylines
  • Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice to see Cersei repenting at leisure, even though I might wish the sparrows had the benefit of lessons in prison management from Ramsey Bolton.

Sansa suggests she might now be capable of doing some damage to someone. She might yet make Littlefinger proud.

It was a relief to hear Dany say she still intends to get to King's Landing. Sometime. Whatever.

Arya. Whatever.

Interesting and well executed battle scene, even if it looked very similar to the Israeli scenes in Brad Pitt's movie "World War Z". But I can't see why the Army of the Dead are such a big deal anyway. Men have wildfire and Dany has her dragons and both Jon and Brienne can kill the whitewalkers; the dead can't win. Come to think of it, if the Knight's Watch is so undermanned, why aren't they already investing in the nuclear option, wildfire?
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last 15 minutes saved that episode IMO.

I thought that. I was fed up of seeing Cercei in that dark dungeon moaning on about killing that nun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The dead are better organised then the living
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen a boat row away so slowly :confused:
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    The hype is strong in this one! LOL. :D

The battle sequence was good, but overall this season blows.

I know people don't like to hear it, but the fact IS, the books are better.

For one, Reek doesn't look like he's just been to the local gents hairdressers to get his designer beard trimmed. He's a tortured soul, too far gone to even recognize he's still human. Think a thinner version of Gollum, eating rats.

I think anyone that reads will already know this, can't think of many books where the film or TV version was better.
    In the case of GOT though we're approaching uncharted waters, literally and figuratively.
  • Options
    LiquidSnakeLiquidSnake Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Never seen a boat row away so slowly :confused:

i thought that too. Bad editing. The stare from the whitewalker leader went on for a while and yet in the following shot the boat looks barely 10 yards out from the pier.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    What an episode. That resurrection scene just goes to show the White Walkers are really a huge deal. Will Dany's dragons be enough?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an episode. Wow

It was another good episode of GOT anyway but those last 15 minutes took it to different heights

I am so glad season 5 part two has been much more enjoyable.