Son gets married in just over an hour in Las Vegas

jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
Forum Member
A few weeks ago I mentioned that my son and his fiancee had changed all their plans at the last minute, calling off the wedding that was planned for the 16th of this month.

So now the day has arrived and in just over an hours time they'll be married in The Little Church in the West in Las Vegas, I'll be waiting for the text which he's promised to send and hopefully some pics by email. :)

I was disappointed at the time that I couldn't be at their wedding but quickly came round to the idea that it was what they wanted. I shall content myself with looking after my divine grandson. The other nanny has had him since Monday, and she'll be dropping him off to me tomorrow, can't wait, I shall be giving him lots and lots of cuddles.

They're still having the "do" on the 16th so I'll still get to wear the lovely dress I bought for the wedding, I just won't get to wear the hat !

Comments

• Mikey_Mikey_ Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wear the hat, go on, be a devil.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Hope it all goes well then and everyone has just as much fun at the 'do' as the bride and groom will be having shortly at their wedding.

Just out of interest, what does that mean in terms of celebrating their anniversary? It's the 7th July here, but still the 6th in the US of A.

Also, out of interest, does the UK have any equivalent for those with a little less money to spend? Perhaps an old W.I. hall somewhere in Blackpool where an Alvin Stardust impersonator can bless you before giving you some vouchers for the night's bingo?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to you and your new family :)

xxx
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    Hope it all goes well then and everyone has just as much fun at the 'do' as the bride and groom will be having shortly at their wedding.

Just out of interest, what does that mean in terms of celebrating their anniversary? It's the 7th July here, but still the 6th in the US of A.

Also, out of interest, does the UK have any equivalent for those with a little less money to spend? Perhaps an old W.I. hall somewhere in Blackpool where an Alvin Stardust impersonator can bless you before giving you some vouchers for the night's bingo?!

I got married in Vegas on January 9th U.S. time, but it was the 10th in the UK. We celebrate on the 9th. :)

I think Gretna Green in Scotland is the runaway wedding destination for the UK.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We eloped in November and got married without telling people. We had waited for ages to be able to afford to get married but in the end decided to elope as otherwise we could be waiting forever.

It was brilliant and everyone was great about it when they found out.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

Yeah, that's what it is traditionally. It harks back to Scotland having more liberal marriage laws than England, and Gretna was typically the first place in Scotland that people would get to.
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I got married in Vegas on January 9th U.S. time, but it was the 10th in the UK. We celebrate on the 9th. :)

Yeah but I don't think you can just turn up and get married like you can in Vegas. We don't have quickie weddings available in the UK like there.
  • collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We ran away to Gretna in April, just us and two daughters. My mother still isn't speaking to me!
  • Love BearLove Bear Posts: 35,754
    Forum Member
    collincn wrote: »
    We ran away to Gretna in April, just us and two daughters. My mother still isn't speaking to me!

We did that. It's 10 years in September for us. At the end of the day it should be about what you want and all too often it turns into a pantomime and people take over.

I wouldn't change a single thing about my big day except for the dress which, looking back on it now was a bit dodgy!!:D

Hope she comes round in the end. Surely she just wants you to be happy at the end of the day?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »

It's 7 July in Las Vegas as well. It's almost 8 AM in New York, nearly 7 AM in Chicago, nearly 6 in Utah, and nearly 5 in Las Vegas. Congrats to the OP and her son. I eloped and it was the best thing ever.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to your son and his new wife, and I hope you have a lovely time with your grandson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye on the Las Vegas strip webcam - you may be able to spot him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Bear wrote: »
    Hope she comes round in the end. Surely she just wants you to be happy at the end of the day?

You'd think, wouldn't you. Not withsatnding the fact that she wouldn't make the trip (she's 73 and not in the best health, bless :)) she even turned down the chance to see the photos first, because she was "too upset and hurt"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duplicate post
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Bear wrote: »
    I wouldn't change a single thing about my big day except for the dress which, looking back on it now was a bit dodgy!!:D

i hope you were the bride and not the groom :D
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Just got back home today, feeling decidedly knackered but very happy after looking after my grandson for two days and nights, I'd forgotten how exhausting it is, luckily for me he is a very happy baby and just like his dad he sleeps well. I really enjoyed being able to pick him up and cuddle him whenever I felt like it.

They got back about 1.00 ish looking all loved up and extremely happy to see Max again. They were all over him like a rash :):) and they had some beautiful pictures of the wedding. I think all in all, it was the best thing for them to do, they both looked so happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of all, It's what they wanted to do. I'm so glad that you've accepted that and are happy for them. Go you!
    Forum Member
    Just come back from the wedding bash. It was absolutely lovely, they had cutting of the cake and the bride and grooms first dance. Then the rest of the evening was just sooooo wonderful. They both looked so happy, I chatted with most of his friends who he's known for years. Some frome school, some from college, most from playing football and they are all such a lovely bunch of young men. Most of them have children of their own now, just like my son and daughter in law and where they once would only talk about football, now they only want to talk about their children, which is fine by me. :) I'm sooooooo happy. :):):)
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    congrats to you all :)

sounds like it was a very special day for your son and new daughter in law :)
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darthtoon wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the Las Vegas strip webcam - you may be able to spot him!
    I was so disappointed when I clicked and saw what that webcam actually was.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just scratched my nose. Didn't create a thread about it though, because no one cares. :)
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just scratched my nose. Didn't create a thread about it though.

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    I thought you meant Katie Price, I was about to ask if anyone had a predator missle

Congratulations anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    I just scratched my nose. Didn't create a thread about it though, because no one cares. :)

Reminds me of Carlito's Way

Carlito: Maybe I don't give a sh*t! Maybe I don't remember the last time I blew my nose either.
    Forum Member
    jabegy wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I mentioned that my son and his fiancee had changed all their plans at the last minute, calling off the wedding that was planned for the 16th of this month.

So now the day has arrived and in just over an hours time they'll be married in The Little Church in the West in Las Vegas, I'll be waiting for the text which he's promised to send and hopefully some pics by email. :)

I was disappointed at the time that I couldn't be at their wedding but quickly came round to the idea that it was what they wanted. I shall content myself with looking after my divine grandson. The other nanny has had him since Monday, and she'll be dropping him off to me tomorrow, can't wait, I shall be giving him lots and lots of cuddles.

They're still having the "do" on the 16th so I'll still get to wear the lovely dress I bought for the wedding, I just won't get to wear the hat !

Just noticed this post from 10 years ago while looking for something else. Funny because it's coming up to my son and daughter in laws 10th wedding anniversary. I'm so happy that they're still as in love as the day they first met, the baby grandson I looked after while they were getting married is now 10 1/2 and his brother has just turned 8. I'm so looking forward to the day I can cuddle them all again.