first glimpse of the Tivo box and the peanut

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    That looks nice! And 1TB of storage!

The obvious questions are, how are VM going to finance this? And will it be rolled out to all customers simultaneously, or will we get the new box when our old ones fail? If the latter, I foresee a lot of sabotage of the old boxes :)
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Diamonddog wrote: »

The obvious questions are, how are VM going to finance this? And will it be rolled out to all customers simultaneously, or will we get the new box when our old ones fail? If the latter, I foresee a lot of sabotage of the old boxes :)
    It's not a direct replacement.

If you want it, you are going to have to pay for it
  • Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Diamonddog wrote: »

do that and you'll get it replaced with another V+HD ;)

any delibrate damage will have to be paid for too ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    People dont mind paying for it but i hope they dont price it silly out of the reach of many customers,should you be paying that much extra for a 1Tb when the current hard drive capacity is a shambles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    If you want it, you are going to have to pay for it

Do you know this for a fact? There a lot of people (me included) who would not be happy shelling out very much for this especially as the box is never yours. I would stump up a relatively small amount for installation, activation, etc. maybe around 50 quid but I'm not going to be shelling out 200 quid for a new box.
    Forum Member
    Do you know this for a fact? There a lot of people (me included) who would not be happy shelling out very much for this especially as the box is never yours. I would stump up a relatively small amount for installation, activation, etc. maybe around 50 quid but I'm not going to be shelling out 200 quid for a new box.
    I made no reference to the cost as I have no idea what it will be, but it's certainly not going to free (Which is what my comment was in relation to)
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    jpl wrote: »

So it's HD & 3D compatible, gives access to 1000's of hours of on demand content and has an internal modem so watching HD content dosen't affect your broadband speed.

Don't all the current V HD/V+ HD boxes provide this anyway?
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    So it's HD & 3D compatible, gives access to 1000's of hours of on demand content and has an internal modem so watching HD content dosen't affect your broadband speed.

Don't all the current V/V+ HD boxes provide this anyway?
    Not the last bit (if you are talking about HD content outside of Virgin's VoD service)

But anyway, of course it will be able to do what the existing boxes do, a bit stupid if didn't ;)
    Forum Member
    Also, I expect the reason those are the bits currently highlighted are they are the functions that people will understand at present

The actual 'TiVo' bits are so unlike anything most of the UK has seen before it's not easily described in a paragraph or two
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't all the current V HD/V+ HD boxes provide this anyway?

I think the bit about not affecting broadband speed is comparing it to other services where it will affect speed. Existing ondemand is separate to the internet connection but the tivo box also seems to have an extra 10Mb internet connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the last bit (if you are talking about HD content outside of Virgin's VoD service)

But anyway, of course it will be able to do what the existing boxes do, a bit stupid if didn't ;)

Plus to quote from the press release......

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1490920&highlight=

As a result, Virgin Media’s new TiVo-powered service will not only be able to deliver linear TV alongside an unbeatable instant TV on demand offering but will also be able to support compelling online video in HD straight to customers’ TVs without having to sacrifice other online activities when in use.

Virgin Media and TiVo announced plans to join forces in November 2009. Virgin Media and TiVo have developed a unique converged television and interactive service bringing UK consumers the best in TV entertainment, be it broadcast, on demand or online.

Youtube, Facebook Twitter etc can easily be added via apps plus services like lovefilm etc can also be added
    Forum Member

Do you mean it will have access to content that isn't available with the current V+, I understood the other day that the box wouldn't have access to different content, merely the way 'we interact with television' was what I think you said.

It would be a bit stupid if it dosen't as Sky endlessly prove that content is king.
    Forum Member
    Do you mean it will have access to content that isn't available with the current V+, I understood the other day that the box wouldn't have access to different content, merely the way 'we interact with television' was what I think you said.

It would be a bit stupid if it dosen't as Sky endlessly prove that content is king.
    Yes. The TiVo box will be able to access content from outside Virgin's VoD service - which is what the broadband connection is for.

What I was trying to get across is that it's not a total replacement. VoD will still be the main source, the rest will be additional stuff

What it can access I think will be a controlled set so that the TiVo box can accurately search and use them, but is a almost certain bet that YouTube will be one of the sites

For instance if you are watching a film, you maybe able to search for interviews with the actors that are out on t'internet

This page from TiVo's US site gives a good idea of the type of thing that may be coming http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-compare.html#tab
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The content that VM has bought is already on their on demand system. It would be nice if they could also source other stuff like films from Lovefilm but others have said that rights issues might prevent that. At least tivo does provide lots off other possibilities for applications and third party involvement. Until the box is released though I don't think we are going to get an inkling of just what the possibilities are.
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. The TiVo box will be able to access content from outside Virgin's VoD service - which is what the broadband connection is for.

What I was trying to get across is that it's not a total replacement. VoD will still be the main source, the rest will be additional stuff

What it can access I think will be a controlled set so that the TiVo box can accurately search and use them, but is a almost certain bet that YouTube will be one of the sites

For instance if you are watching a film, you maybe able to search for interviews with the actors that are out on t'internet

This page from TiVo's US site gives a good idea of the type of thing that may be coming http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-compare.html#tab

What it needs is a small remote QWERTY keyboard, cos trying to use internet on anything but a proper keyboard is a pain in the arse!
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dont some TV's already give you access to these things.
    Forum Member
    What it needs is a small remote QWERTY keyboard, cos trying to use internet on anything but a proper keyboard is a pain in the arse!
    You mean like the first one on this page:

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-accessories/tivo-remote/index.html
    Forum Member
    Dont some TV's already give you access to these things.
    Yes, but as a seperate experience

However from what I've believe will happen based on hints of the TiVO experience, it's much more seamless

e.g if you are browsing the TV EPG, and see a programme with your favourite actor in it, you could ask TiVo to go find other content with him/her in - and it would search the TV EPG, VoD, and any web content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is a bluetooth remote isn't it? Is the new box remote going to be bluetooth?
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    That is a bluetooth remote isn't it? Is the new box remote going to be bluetooth?
    Haven't a clue lol

It was more to point out that small qwerty keyboards are a possibility
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't a clue lol

It was more to point out that small qwerty keyboards are a possibility

OK cheers.
    Forum Member

I understand now, it sounds a bit like the connected TV's and Blu Ray players you can now buy as they can access You Tube, Facebook, Love Film etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good to see VM bring some new content from third parties. Even without that the new box hardware should be far superior to current cable boxes and the software should be superior to that available from any UK tv provider. So even without the extra enhancements that the interntet connected box can bring it's a big step up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Looks impressive, the remote looks very Tivo-ish too. I wonder how much control Tivo has over the usability? For example, the previous Tivo boxes let you rearrange channels, whereas Virgin Media prefer to remove features like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    Looks impressive, the remote looks very Tivo-ish too. I wonder how much control Tivo has over the usability? For example, the previous Tivo boxes let you rearrange channels, whereas Virgin Media prefer to remove features like that.

That would be great. I hope VM have allowed tivo a free reign on stuff like that.