Options

If there was no X Factor, would Cheryl Cole have a successful solo career?

foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondered, as she seems to use it as her own personal plugging machine for her music!

Without the outlet these days of Top of the Pops/Chart show - I suppose these artists need the X Factor for that big push...

I don't have cable/sky/freeview, so I have no idea whether there are any big music programmes on the other channels, apart from music channels, just playing videos...

I miss the old days of Top of the Pops actually - think it could probably make a come-back, with the right re-vamp!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it, i think she would have gone down the Rachel Stevens route.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucyKay18 wrote: »
    I doubt it, i think she would have gone down the Rachel Stevens route.

same, fight for this love would have only have been a mild hit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. People will come here and say she would have been, but it's blindingly, 100% obvious that without the show she would be nowhere near as popular as she is now.

She essentially owes her fame and fortune to the X-Factor.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not. People will come here and say she would have been, but it's blindingly, 100% obvious that without the show she would be nowhere near as popular as she is now.

That's what I am thinking...I am no particular fan of her's but I'd imagine with Nadine Coyle inserted in the same postition as Cheryl on the show, it would have been her with the success, and Cheryl would have been resigned to the 'mouthy but sexy one' of GA!

Its all about the 'right breaks' in this business, it seems!
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Hm... Its a tricky one. She definitely wouldn't sell the same amount of records or have half the amount of hype, but on the other, she could still have a successful solo career due to the fact that she has had Will.I.Am backing her for years and has always had a reasonable amount of media interest...

I reckon she'd be more successful than Nadine but no where near as successful as she is at the moment. However if the question is she more talented than Nadine, the answer is definitely not!
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not as successful as she is but Fight For This Love was a strong single to launch a solo career with (annoyingly catchy). She always had tabloid interest, she looks the part and can put on a decent performance for TV plus she had Will.i.am in her corner which helps. I think she'd probably do alright without the show.

Tabloid coverage never gave Katie Price and Victoria Beckham music careers. And The X Factor didn't give Leon Jackson and Joe McElderry music careers.

Of course, you could also consider that FFTL wouldn't have the same significance had it not been for Ashley's naughty ways.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why not. I mean, FFTL was a massive hit all over Europe where she's barely known.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    She was the most well known member of GA before X Factor and if i recall there was a buzz around her featuring on heartbreaker...so maybe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see why not. I mean, FFTL was a massive hit all over Europe where she's barely known.

Yes, but it was her only hit all over Europe. The rest of the stuff, in almost all other places, was relatively unsuccessful except for the UK and Ireland (where the X-Factor is shown). The same can be said about both of her albums. They pretty much flopped everywhere except for the UK and Ireland (OK, and number 18 in Norway...)

Cheryl got lucky with the X-Factor. She is one of those acts who is known more for who she is than her music. This is why she isn't changing her name back to Tweedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    ....No.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    She could well of been, but we shall never no so there's little point of arguing.
    Its worth remember its just not her using the XF to help her career. Im sure many artists who performed this and last year wouldnt have nearly as big sales if they didnt perform
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Her voice isn't that good.
  • Options
    prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a better question is if there was no Girls Aloud, would she have a successful solo career?

Hmmm, I think FFTL would have done very well regardless, but I just think she would be less of a personality/brand without xfactor. I'm not sure if her album(s) would have done well because I'm sure, and this will sound very presumptious, but I think a fair number of people bought her album because she was Cheryl Cole (but then that applies to many artists).

It's a tricky one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    prasanth wrote: »
    I think a better question is if there was no Girls Aloud, would she have a successful solo career?

Hmmm, I think FFTL would have done very well regardless, but I just think she would be less of a personality/brand without xfactor. I'm not sure if her album(s) would have done well because I'm sure, and this will sound very presumptious, but I think a fair number of people bought her album because she was Cheryl Cole (but then that applies to many artists).

It's a tricky one.

They bought the album because sheeple buy things they hear on the X-Factor. Both albums were released 1 week after the single was performed on the X-Factor (I'm not saying everyone who buys her stuff did because they heard it on the X-Factor, but it was a massive influence in sales, clearly).

Both the first singles from the albums and the albums got to number 1. This would definitely not have happened if she wasn't on the show.

The releases were clearly planned to coincide with the X-Factor so they could get maximum possible exposure, or be that the performances were planned to be done just before the single and album.
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Her voice isn't that good.

Yup

Cheryl was only good as part of Girls Aloud
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I think she obviously wouldn't be doing aswell but even in GA she was the most popular, sooo
  • Options
    HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. From what I've heard from GA she's by far the weakest vocally. FFTL is a good track but pretty much anyone could have sung it just as well if not better.
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was the most well known member of GA before X Factor and if i recall there was a buzz around her featuring on heartbreaker...so maybe.

She was probably best known because she assaulted that cloakroom attendant which earned the name "Biffa" !!
    Then she more or less disappeared until XF
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect if Dannii released new music to coincide with the X Factor it wouldn't be nearly as successful as Cheryl.
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    She was probably best known because she assaulted that cloakroom attendant which earned the name "Biffa" !!
    Then she more or less disappeared until XF

No she was the most well known, 'the fit one' if you will, followed by 'the singer' Nadine.
    This. From what I've heard from GA she's by far the weakest vocally.

Kimberley is, and I will take that with me to the grave. Her voice is unbearable.
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, it's not just the crap factor that has held her solo career together, a cheating husband is responsible for half of it.

Before the cheating husband saga, I'd never heard of her before. After that, you couldn't lose sight of her in every newspaper. She then did that solo feature called "Heartbreaker" and things went from there with the solo stuff really. It seemed she (thank god) started to fade back into obscurity again but out of the blue, she's a judge on the crap factor and all of a sudden she's "The nations sweetheart". :rolleyes:

Before all of that, she was "The gobby northern chav who beat up a lady in a nightclub"; nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    She then did that solo feature called "Heartbreaker" and things went from there with the solo stuff really.

She auditioned and secured that feature before the cheating came to light. Simon also offered her Britain's got talent in 2007, but she turned him down.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    .....No.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,960
    Forum Member
    No......
  • Options
    da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭