Options

Prisoners of War - Sky Arts 1

zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
Forum Member
I've searched for a thread on this Israeli drama series but can't find one.

I'm wondering if anyone else who is watching it is enjoying it as much as I am? It is powerful, intriguing, moving and compelling viewing. The scenes of Uri reading his now deceased mother's undelivered letters to him (written during his captivity) were heartbreaking.

Comments

• Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeebra wrote: »
    I've searched for a thread on this Israeli drama series but can't find one.

I'm wondering if anyone else who is watching it is enjoying it as much as I am? It is powerful, intriguing, moving and compelling viewing. The scenes of Uri reading his now deceased mother's undelivered letters to him (written during his captivity) were heartbreaking.

Glad I've found this thread (well - two of us!) I'm really enjoying this too, I've been sobbing at almost every episode. I watched Homeland too (based on this) but I'm finding this far more moving - trying to work out which one (or both - or none?) have been turned is driving me a bit mad.....!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were 2 threads, but using search I cant find them now.

I thought "Homeland" was good, but this is in a league of it's own. I'm absolutely gripped by it. Probably because it's much darker, less commercial but more relevant applied to Israeli POW than Brody's defection.

I'm utterly fascinated by Uri and Nimrod's sign language. A small bit of the plot but it's this psychological relationship between the two that makes it unmissable.

Drama at it's very best. In my usual way I got google happy and have been spoiled by one or two plot developments (dont worry I wont ever post spoilers!) but it's had me in tears too.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    There were 2 threads, but using search I cant find them now.
    Think this is the Main one...

And PoW...is much better then Homeland...imo.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Think this is the Main one...

And PoW...is much better then Homeland...imo.:)

:) Cheers Stansfield.

Totally agree, it's fantastic. Shall I ask for the threads to be merged, or keep this one bumped. It doesn't seem many people are watching it and I'm dying to discuss it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I'm watching too, totally hooked.
    I think it's been brilliant so far.
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great gut-wrenching episode last night.

An analogy.

Whereas Homeland is a £100 bottle of champange. Prisoner's of War is a fine wine, allowed to mature...... and only for the most discerning of palates.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to see a few posts - it doesn't seem to have anything like the number of viewers that The Killing had.
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first 3 episodes on Sky Anytime.
    I am patiently waiting for next instalment to pop up.
    It is very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terry.R wrote: »
    A great gut-wrenching episode last night.

An analogy.

Whereas Homeland is a £100 bottle of champange. Prisoner's of War is a fine wine, allowed to mature...... and only for the most discerning of palates.
    The past two episodes have really shown up, how bad Homeland was.

Homelands Claire Danes seems to be about 3 characters, Daughter Dana has more to do, and much wilder in PoW....Having two return, makes it more interesting, and the Family's around them, is much more explored.
    Plus this weeks episode, with the funeral and Yael with the pills, truly stunning performance...Plus the clearing of the air chat, between Nurit and Talya, powerful stuff... {hope I've got the names right}

Loved the Dog Walking too this week....and the Finger Signals....much better done here.
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I am super impressed by this show, especially in comparison to Homeland. It's far more gritty and so much more detail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    beaky29 wrote: »
    I am super impressed by this show, especially in comparison to Homeland. It's far more gritty and so much more detail.
    You feel the producers of Homeland, just skimmed the surface of PoW {Hatufim}.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What tally said in a previous post, that Homeland was good but PoW was in a league of it's own, i couldn't agree more. Homeland was exciting but there was too much happening for it to come to a logical and satisfactory conclusion, i.e. who was the mole.Whether they explore that point, and others, in the 2nd series, we'll have to wait and see.

I think if i'd of seen PoW first, Homeland would seem very superficial.

The acting and the writing of this series (PoW) is brilliant.

You are right, Stansfield, about the scene in the kitchen between Nurit and Talya, it was very powerful stuff, and it had to happen between those two.The dog walking scene brought a smile to my face in a very emotinally draining episode.

Plaudits goes out to all the writers and actors of this brilliant series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's just me and am so glad I have it Sky +'d but I only had a couple of hours sleep last night and I found this episode hard to follow, especially as the subtitles were difficult to read.

I dont want a minute to be spoiled as it's just so brilliant, I literally get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when they flash back to to their imprisonment. It's so real and awful. How on earth do you ever recover from 17 years of that?

So I'm going to get my beauty sleep and watch it again tomorrow before I talk about it. You cant just casually watch it, miss a couple of lines and you've missed a lot, the writing is so taut and gripping.

:o I've preordered the box set. I was going to get Homeland, but this is far superior even though I'm kerfuddled about tonight's episode. I think that's just me!
  • Options
    DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Homeland but I don't have Sky so couldn't see this but after reading this thread I've put this on my DVD wish list:cool:

It's a bit pricey (£26) but if it's even better than Homeland it'll definately be worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope it's just me and am so glad I have it Sky +'d but I only had a couple of hours sleep last night and I found this episode hard to follow, especially as the subtitles were difficult to read.
    The subtitles are a bit fast, but even if I don't read it all, I still get it.
    Denley wrote: »
    I loved Homeland but I don't have Sky so couldn't see this but after reading this thread I've put this on my DVD wish list:cool:

It's a bit pricey (£26) but if it's even better than Homeland it'll definately be worth it.
    It's worth it, at twice the price....my only regret....watching Homeland.:(

But this weeks episode......Who did phone for the Ambulance for Yael.
    Talya's talk with Rafi's Wife....powerful stuff....plus any scene with Uri.
    And Nimrode; what is his Job title...

This is the Best Drama of the Year.
  • Options
    DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't afford it at twice the price :eek::p

but point taken. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Oh wow. What a gut wrenching, heartbreaking episode. :) Mind I either say or think that every week. I dont know anyone else who is watching it, which is why it's great to have this thread. Oh well, their loss, they've missed a classic.

I loved Nimrod's and his son bonding while teaching him about the internet, and then POW! he's watching himself being paraded after capture.

The tautness of the writing, editing and production are equally matched by superb acting. It's truly one of the best series I've ever watched, even if it's not easy viewing.

Is Amil alive or was his father(?) hallucinating as his sister did in the funeraI scenes. I dont know why, I thought that Nimrod and Uri had been ordered to kick or beat him to death which added to the psychological trauma they went through.

I suppose he has to be if Homeland was a fairly accurate remake. Brody being turned was the main premise. I really wish I could watch the last 3 episodes now. I am so impatient, but the DVD set isn't released until mid July.

This is just sheer class. I cant remember the last time I watched a drama made and acted so brilliantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek: Oh wow. What a gut wrenching, heartbreaking episode. :) Mind I either say or think that every week. I dont know anyone else who is watching it, which is why it's great to have this thread. Oh well, their loss, they've missed a classic.

I loved Nimrod's and his son bonding while teaching him about the internet, and then POW! he's watching himself being paraded after capture.

The tautness of the writing, editing and production are equally matched by superb acting. It's truly one of the best series I've ever watched, even if it's not easy viewing.

Is Amil alive or was his father(?) hallucinating as his sister did in the funeraI scenes. I dont know why, I thought that Nimrod and Uri had been ordered to kick or beat him to death which added to the psychological trauma they went through.

I suppose he has to be if Homeland was a fairly accurate remake. Brody being turned was the main premise. I really wish I could watch the last 3 episodes now. I am so impatient, but the DVD set isn't released until mid July.

This is just sheer class. I cant remember the last time I watched a drama made and acted so brilliantly.
    It was powerful stuff again this week....but for Nimrode, having an Office more like a Cell, doesn't help for him.

I'm guessing Ami is dead, because Homeland had only one coming back, unlike this, with Uri & Nimrode.....and the ending this week, with both of them Missing.:eek:

Dana causing trouble with the Doc too, she's trouble.
    And if I was Hatzav, I'd be hiding my call up papers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I.D.F. lady seems to be falling for Uri, jealously rearing it's ugly head at the mention of Nurit's name. Also setting up a conflict of interest, similar to a certain extent to Carrie & Brody.

Nice to see Nurit back, albeit for 2 minutes.

Each of Nimrod's office colleagues needs a slap.'Hello, i've been locked up in a Palestinian pow camp for 17 years. It might take me time to adjust. Don't treat me like you don't want me to be there'.

Yeah, what is Dana up to?

Amil is dead.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just caught up with this via Sky Anytime (via VirginMedia!) and a torrent and have to say it's a cut above Homeland. Not that Homeland was bad, but this is just superb. It has all the benefits of the recent "Scandi-thrillers", that is:

1 Unknown actors so they ARE their characters
    2 Great acting because I don't know what bad Israeli acting sounds like!

It will be interesting to see how closely the basic plot in the US series followed this (are they going to be terrorists or patriots?).

Some minor glitches in the subtitles, though. This week had them overlain over the text on the TV report that upset Nimrode in the office, which made them difficult to read. Previous weeks had "Yalla" in the subtitles, which I think means "Let's go". And the scene with Nimrode in the coffee bar translated the amount in Shekels into "dollars" and "bucks", which seemed a little odd, but those are minor complaints.

Anyone know if there's a second series?

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Have just caught up with this via Sky Anytime (via VirginMedia!) and a torrent and have to say it's a cut above Homeland. Not that Homeland was bad, but this is just superb. It has all the benefits of the recent "Scandi-thrillers", that is:

1 Unknown actors so they ARE their characters
    2 Great acting because I don't know what bad Israeli acting sounds like!

It will be interesting to see how closely the basic plot in the US series followed this (are they going to be terrorists or patriots?).

Some minor glitches in the subtitles, though. This week had them overlain over the text on the TV report that upset Nimrode in the office, which made them difficult to read. Previous weeks had "Yalla" in the subtitles, which I think means "Let's go". And the scene with Nimrode in the coffee bar translated the amount in Shekels into "dollars" and "bucks", which seemed a little odd, but those are minor complaints.

Anyone know if there's a second series?

K

The first series was shown on Isreali tv in March 2010. As of now, there is no news of a second series.:(

Edit: Just read, they've shot a second series.:D
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught up with this weeks episode. Absolutely fantastic series, totally hooked.

Glad there's going to be a second series.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry.R wrote: »
    Edit: Just read, they've shot a second series.:D

Goodie!

Tks

K
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this with such interest and involvement.
    I don't regret seeing Homeland because of this - it's a completely different animal.
    Homeland is made purely for western consumption and sadly we're too used to action, intrigue and fast scenes and melodrama.
    This is stunning in its simplicity and subtlety and deeper exploration of all the emotions stirred up for each of the characters.
    Perhaps if it had been on BBC4 it might have attracted more viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sad it isn't being more widely appreciated, it's just too brilliant to be overlooked. Besides they'll never show Season 2. :(

So many questions over the latest episode, but I'm hoping a second watch ( :p I always have to watch it twice to "get" it) will clarify stuff,
    I thought the scenes between Nimrod and his wife where he's beaten her up black and blue in his sleep, were heartbreaking, whist the sexual tension between Uri and his now sister-in-law was palpable. ( Homeland excelled in the scenes between Brody and Carrie) Also wanted to weep for Uri when he was at the bar mitzvah rehearsal and had to say to his father "You have two sons". :cry:

Didn't the Israeli PTB understand the horrendous PTS these two have? It seems there's a complete lack of empathy for the huge difficulties they have readjusting as well as treating them like potential traitors. Nimrod and Uri only have each other. They remind me of Brian Keating and John McCarthy who had the special bond that their years in captivity in the 80's gave them. Noone else could possibly understand what they went through.

Who was the Arab women and what's the significance of the telephone number? I have to ask in case it's me being incredibly thick.