S7 Neil Gaiman Episode: NEW INFO (SPOILERS)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
Forum Member
✭✭
Exciting times!!!

The rumours were true...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news, confirming the rumours, but no mention, yet, if they've undergone the also rumoured redesign...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mysterious planet... Proper Cybermen anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YEAH bring it!!!
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    A mysterious planet... Proper Cybermen anyone?

Planet 14 anyone?

Well, anyone's who's seen The Invasion.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    That's this seasons stinker sorted then!
  • GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »

Now, now. I'm sure it, like The Doctor's Wife, will be a perfectly servicable if predictable Gaiman-does-Who story.

Whether we need another one is, of course, open to question.

Hopefully this one won't just be about Doctor Who again, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And that's this seasons whinger sorted then!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason I'm picturing a very sandy planet, with Cybermen limbs uncovered. Something Tomb-like with archaeologists...
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look, just be grateful it isn't a Tim Burton penned episode.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Liking the idea of this episode not being Earth based.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Liking the idea of this episode not being Earth based.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

First cybermen-centric episode off-Earth in New Who?
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

First cybermen-centric episode off-Earth in New Who?

Yes.

Like Asylum Of The Daleks was for the Daleks.

About time too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Genuine lols here! This is the wittiest post I've seen in ages!
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cybermen episodes have been awful since the return of Dr Who. Their story in the parallel universe in the second series was decent and Army of Ghosts was good too, but in that episode they were treated like rats by the daleks.

Apart from that though, Cyberman episodes have been god awful. However, this guy did write the doctors wife which is one of the bests episodes ever created so I will give it a chance before completely expecting some bullshit story.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I'm praaaaaaying for a truly gruesome Cybermen redesign! If anyone can end the Cybermen's run of terrible stories it's Neil Gaiman!

Super super looking forward to this, Cold War and the TARDIS exploration ep! Dont wanna wish 2012 away though :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope that they redesign the Cybermen a bit.
    Looking forward to this episode!
    However, I have this niggling feeling that people will have extremely high expectations of this episode due to the huge popularity of Neil Gaiman's last episode and may end up being disappointed if it doesn't quite match the quality of The Doctor's Wife.

Nevertheless, I still think that it's going to be one of the highlights of the final half of series 7 :D
    Roll on Christmas and the New Year!
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    I think Neil Gaiman's episode will be magical just like the first. His love of the programme oozed out the first episode he penned, and with or without the Cybermen he writes beautifully. The added bonus they are in the episode is that he will recreate them for 2013 and add to their mythology. Much to look forward to with Gaiman writing for the show again.
    Forum Member
    Me too.

I think Gaiman will deliver with the Cybermen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    And that's this seasons whinger sorted then!

Nice one!:D
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    He's now getting a hard time on his twitter account tonight from someone tweeting that the Cybermen were the worst villian he could have chosen to write for in the show's long history. He rebuffs this with deep respect for the Cybermen so will obviously write them with great skill and wonder as he did with Idris(the Tardis). The twitterer complains to him they have been seen too often in nu who, ' one word overused' but Gaiman seems confident with including them in this return episode, 'shh trust me' he replies, well sounds good to me and he is sure to reinvent and old idea with much history. He is the best writer I've seen on Who, his Wife episode one of my favourites.
  • finn946finn946 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    who decided that tamzin outhwaite was part of a 'stellar' cast?!

apart from that, gaiman will ace it. ACE IT!
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they are given a decent story and are the 'Real' Cybermen from our universe and they are show to be scary - a bit like the Borg or Cybernauts. Recently they've been show to be rather clunky and laughable. Their whole premise was to acquire humans to turn into cybermen a bit like assimilation with the Borg which did come across as scary.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I hope they make them less noisy. Why are these new cybermen so stompy and robotic? They should get their environmental health people to redesign the hydraulic rams that move them about. They can't sneak up on anyone these days.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    New Cybermen design: http://twitter.com/gabundy/status/266706832192569345/photo/1

For those wondering, Gabundy is one of the more reliable posters on GB
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I hope they make them less noisy. Why are these new cybermen so stompy and robotic? They should get their environmental health people to redesign the hydraulic rams that move them about. They can't sneak up on anyone these days.

Agreed. I think the new Cybermen have served their purpose, and served it well IMO even though I'm not their biggest fan.

Judging on what NG says here it looks like a return to the orignal less stompy military Cybermen.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a436955/doctor-who-writer-neil-gaiman-i-want-to-make-cybermen-scary-again.html

It is a nice idea that there could now be two types of Cybermen , the silent creepy ones of Tomb Of The Cybermen and the stompy ones of New Who.:)