The Best All Time US Show

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
Forum Member
You can have your favourite and runner up shows. For me the best show is a no brainer. Buffy hit the ground running from the first seconds of the first episode. Very well written throughout. The Scoobies (Buffy, Willow, Xanda, Giles, Anya & Oz) were really likeable characters. The Big Bads (Glory, First, Dark Willow, Mayor, Adam. The list is endless) was always good and always seemed more perilous than the previous ones. You had the history of characters like Angel, Darla, Spike & previous Slayers. I could go on for ages. That brings me to my Runner up Angel. OMG. When Angel left Buffy to go to LA you had the crossover with Sunnydale & LA characters going between the two. Storys intertwining. And they were on one after the other on a Thursday night. No series British or American has made such an impact as this. It lead the way for so many other Vampire stories like True Blood, Twilight, Moonlight & Vampire Diaries. Joss is a legend. Must dust off the boxsets again.

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best? Who cares. Some of my favourites are;

Angel
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Lost
    True Blood
    Dexter
    DS9
    Star Trek
    Buffy
    TNG
    Game of Thrones (US?)
    The Sopranos
    Arrested Development
    Curb your Enthusiasm
    King of the Hill
    Futurama
    B5
    Firefly
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Game of Thrones (US?)

Of course it is American. It is an American production -- commissioned and financed by a US company. It doesn't matter where the actors are from or where filming takes place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Of course it is American. It is an American production -- commissioned and financed by a US company. It doesn't matter where the actors are from or where filming takes place.

Traditionally films take the nationality of the director as well as the financier. So presumably TV shows would also take the nationality of the creator. (Though that's just an aside, since D.B. Wiess, David Benioff & George R.R. Martin are all American)

Also, Game of Thrones tends to shoot everywhere but America (primarily in Northern Ireland and Malta though), and most of the cast are British, so I could see why they would be confused.

Also, one of the production companies is British...
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St. Elsewhere
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Traditionally films take the nationality of the director as well as the financier.

No they don't. It's all to do with where the budget comes from, where it is spent and sometimes where the production vehicle is registered for taxation purposes.

Aliens and Terminator aren't Canadian films because James Cameron was born in Ontario, theyr'e US films because that's where the money came from, whereas Terminator II: Judgement Day is US-French because a whole chunk of money came from Canal+ (still not Canadian though!).

The Three Musketeers (1973) and sequel The Four Musketeers (1974) both directed by the English director Richard Lester are technically Panamanian or Panamanian-Spanish productions because the vehicle under which they were made was registered in Panama for tax purposes.

It's about the money/production company and where that is based, it has nothing (bar jingoism and nationalist fervour) to do with the director. Some Like it Hot (Billy Wilder) is not an Austrian movie, and Die Another Day* (Lee Tamahori) is not a New Zealand production. Similarly, Batman Begins and Man of Steel are not really British films, Christopher Nolan notwithstanding.

* - The Bond movies are really US/British because Eon Productons Limited which makes them is registered in the UK but its parent holding company, Danjaq, LLC (which actually owns the Bond trademarks and copyright) is registered in the US state of Delaware.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Buffy, but for pure quality of writing, production, acting and direction it has to be The west Wing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Best? Who cares. Some of my favourites are;

Angel
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    Lost
    True Blood
    Dexter
    DS9
    Star Trek
    Buffy
    TNG
    Game of Thrones (US?)
    The Sopranos
    Arrested Development
    Curb your Enthusiasm
    King of the Hill
    Futurama
    B5
    Firefly

Surely out of a list of 18 programmes you must have ones you prefer to others. I havent watched all of them but I know that some were better than others.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I loved Buffy, but for pure quality of writing, production, acting and direction it has to be The west Wing.

I heard it was good but never watched West Wing
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The director is just the hired help in a sense. So is the producer. It really boils down, for a large part, to the studio and who finances it. Many are co produced, but somebody has to give the green light.

It's often cheaper to film outside of the US for a variety of reasons. Kevin Costner's Hatfields and the McCoys was filmed a lot in Romania. Many US television shows are filmed on set in Canada, such as vancouver or Toronto, many are of course in the US. Many US cities have film commissions to lure production companies to film in their cities and offer all sort of tax incentives and perks. Hawaii has one to lure TV and films (LOST, and a lot of the Pirates/Caribbean films were filmed here .. I still remeber how eery that Pirate ship looked docked here a few years back). San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles etc all have them. and I bet Canada as well has them to lure production companies to set up shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think BEST tv show is hard really to answer. Decades of TV shows, How can you choose?

50/60s
    I love Lucy
    That Girl!
    Bewiched
    Gillans Island
    Outer Limits
    Twilight Zone
    Dragnet
    Adam 12

70s (I was a child, and was at home a lot)
    Love American Style
    Brady Bunch
    Rhoda
    Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Streets of San Francisco
    Maude
    Dallas
    Charles Angels
    the Love Boat
    American Bandstand
    Fantasy Island
    Deny Terio's Dance Fever
    CHiPS
    Cagney & Lacey
    Emergency

80s (was in University, then lived abroad, then began working.. so didn't watch a lot of TV)
    Roseanne
    CosbyShow
    Dynasty
    Falcon Crest
    Murphy Brown
    LA Law

90s
    Gimme a Break
    China Beach
    Living Single
    Martin
    FRIENDS
    ER
    A Different World
    The Nanny
    Ally McBeal
    Will & Grace
    Seinfeld
    Twin Peaks
    Beverly Hills 90210
    Melrose Place
    Suddenly Susan
    Felicity
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrTrix wrote: »
    Surely out of a list of 18 programmes you must have ones you prefer to others. I havent watched all of them but I know that some were better than others.

I have listed them in preference order. Top one (Angel) being my favourite. It's not fixed though, apart from maybe the top 3, the others can move up or down depending on factors such as what mood I'm in, etc
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    No they don't. It's all to do with where the budget comes from, where it is spent and sometimes where the production vehicle is registered for taxation purposes.

Aliens and Terminator aren't Canadian films because James Cameron was born in Ontario, theyr'e US films because that's where the money came from, whereas Terminator II: Judgement Day is US-French because a whole chunk of money came from Canal+ (still not Canadian though!).

The Three Musketeers (1973) and sequel The Four Musketeers (1974) both directed by the English director Richard Lester are technically Panamanian or Panamanian-Spanish productions because the vehicle under which they were made was registered in Panama for tax purposes.

It's about the money/production company and where that is based, it has nothing (bar jingoism and nationalist fervour) to do with the director. Some Like it Hot (Billy Wilder) is not an Austrian movie, and Die Another Day* (Lee Tamahori) is not a New Zealand production. Similarly, Batman Begins and Man of Steel are not really British films, Christopher Nolan notwithstanding.

* - The Bond movies are really US/British because Eon Productons Limited which makes them is registered in the UK but its parent holding company, Danjaq, LLC (which actually owns the Bond trademarks and copyright) is registered in the US state of Delaware.
    http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b8a5c726d
    I'd question why Batman Begins is registered as United States/Great Britain on the BFI database, when it was financed by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures (both American), and the copyright is held by Warner Bros.

It was partially filmed in Iceland, so it isn't where filming took place.

It isn't Syncopy's involvement, because Man of Steel (also produced by Syncopy, but directed by Zack Snyder) is listed as USA only...
    http://explore.bfi.org.uk/5184366ec37bf

Having said that Avatar is listed as British American...

http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b8c544d22
    Forum Member
    Syncopy is Christopher Nolan's company, he's credited as a Producer on Man of Steel.

The big difference between that and Batman Begins is that Man of Steel was substantially shot at studios in Vancouver whereas Batman Begins used several locations in the UK and was based at Pinewood-Shepperton.

If a big enough chunk of tne budget is spent in ther UK on UK crew and services the production qualifies for tax breaks and the BFI will then I assume classify it as a joint UK-wherever production.Whether Man of Steel qualifies as a Canadian production is a question for the Canadian tax authorities.

There is no hard and fast rule as to what makes a film British (or whatever), the one thing I'm pretty sure of is that it has little to do with the director's nationality.
    Forum Member
    Having said that Avatar is listed as British American...

http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b8c544d22

Possibly because a substantial chunk of the funding was arranged through Ingenious Film Partners which is a UK-based investment fund? I'm struggling to think of another reason. :)
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sopranos is my all time favourite U S tv show, however some of my other favourites are, V, (the original, not the remake) Melrose Place, Dynasty, Will and Grace and Twin Peaks. My current faves are Dexter, American Horror Story, Bates Motel and The Walking Dead.
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    Syncopy is Christopher Nolan's company, he's credited as a Producer on Man of Steel.

The big difference between that and Batman Begins is that Man of Steel was substantially shot at studios in Vancouver whereas Batman Begins used several locations in the UK and was based at Pinewood-Shepperton.

If a big enough chunk of tne budget is spent in ther UK on UK crew and services the production qualifies for tax breaks and the BFI will then I assume classify it as a joint UK-wherever production.Whether Man of Steel qualifies as a Canadian production is a question for the Canadian tax authorities.

There is no hard and fast rule as to what makes a film British (or whatever), the one thing I'm pretty sure of is that it has little to do with the director's nationality.
    The Artist was funded by Americans, but shot in France, in French, by a Frenchman, starring a Frenchmen, and is considered French by AMPAS.

My guess is officially it's the country of the financier, but the general media will just chose it's nationality, based on who's involved...
    Forum Member
    I have listed them in preference order. Top one (Angel) being my favourite. It's not fixed though, apart from maybe the top 3, the others can move up or down depending on factors such as what mood I'm in, etc

A league. I like your style.
    Forum Member
    The Artist was funded by Americans, but shot in France, in French, by a Frenchman, starring a Frenchmen, and is considered French by AMPAS.

My guess is officially it's the country of the financier, but the general media will just chose it's nationality, based on who's involved...

Admittedly, it can be a complicated matter. I am not sure why Mad Men has never once been considered a Canadian show (or even a US/Canada co-production) when it is both made and owned by Lionsgate, a Canadian company formed in Vancouver. There is probably some complicated business/legal rationale by which Lionsgate qualifies as American because it is now "headquartered" in L.A. I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually the Artist, I believe, was the only Best Picture nominated film that WAS entirely shot in the US. In Los Angeles. Not that filming location denotes the nationality. There are always a host of reasons why a film is shot where. There was some Indian film recently that was shot in pretty much entirely in the US (no not slumdog), but that was an Indian film. It really has to do with financing and the studios. If it's a Warner Bros, United Artits, Miramax, Columbia, Paramount, Disney, just to name a few, chances are its a Hollywood film.
    The film was produced by La Petite Reine and ARP Sélection for 13.47 million euro, including co-production support from Studio 37 and France 3 Cinéma, and pre-sales investment from Canal+ and CinéCinéma. The cast and the crew included both French and American members. All the scenes were shot in Los Angeles, primarily in Hollywood, but also in downtown theaters, restaurants and houses, including the one in which Mary Pickford lived. Soundstage work was done at Red Studios, and the studio lot itself doubled for part of the fictional Kinograph Studios lot, with Red's Lillian Way entrance doubling as the Kinograph entrance in several sequences. The iconic Bradbury Building in downtown L.A. provided the location for the film's distinctive staircase sequence. The dance sequence that closes the film took seventeen takes, and required Dujardin and Bejo to spend five months studying tap dancing, with Dujardin claiming that "in the first week it's fun, then it gets a little boring, but in the end is thrilling".
    American costume designer Mark Bridges created the wardrobe for the film's cast.[25]

this was part of a thread on why The Artist did not get placed in the Best Foreign Language film category
    British and Australian movies aren't eligible for the Foreign Language Oscar at all, obviously; their only shot is to go up against American productions; eleven UK-financed movies have won Best Picture, so far: Hamlet, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Tom Jones, A Man For All Seasons, Oliver!, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, The Last Emperor, Slumdog Millionaire and The King's Speech.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Admittedly, it can be a complicated matter. I am not sure why Mad Men has never once been considered a Canadian show (or even a US/Canada co-production) when it is both made and owned by Lionsgate, a Canadian company formed in Vancouver. There is probably some complicated business/legal rationale by which Lionsgate qualifies as American because it is now "headquartered" in L.A. I don't know.

But I have always considered Mad Men was a product of AMC. Doesn't AMC fund and green light the existence of Mad Men?
    Forum Member
    Aerick wrote: »
    But I have always considered Mad Men was a product of AMC. Doesn't AMC fund and green light the existence of Mad Men?

AMC commissioned Mad Men and licences it from Lionsgate. They don't own Mad Men.

This is another area of complication. I believe in most cases US channels do not own their shows, even if they "finance" them.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTrix wrote: »
    I heard it was good but never watched West Wing

Don't bother. Waste of time. Aaron Sorkin's supposed genius is utterly lost on me. He relies far too much on music, instead of good writing, to convey any sort of emotion.

A few of my faves: The Sopranos. The Wire. Mad Men. Breaking Bad. Deadwood. Boardwalk Empire.

Less heavier stuff: Alias. Lost. Fringe. Justified. 24. The Shield. Seinfeld.

Loads more. It's very hard to choose a favourite, it all depends on my mood.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother. Waste of time. Aaron Sorkin's supposed genius is utterly lost on me. He relies far too much on music, instead of good writing, to convey any sort of emotion.

They say that there's no accounting for taste but that's one of the strangest assessments of The West Wing that I've ever read. I can understand some people not liking TWW if they have no interest in politics but to dismiss it on the quality of the writing is baffling.

Then again, some say The Wire is the greatest ever but I could never get into it. It is clearly a thing of great quality but I could never work out who was who and what the hell was going on.
  • mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    My best all-time U.S. show : Bilko & MASH, I can't split them. 2 shows with great characters, acting, writing & led by 2 lead actors (Silvers & Alda) at the height of their powers.
    Runners-up : original Dallas, St Elsewhere, Hill St Blues, Star Trek, Chuck, 24, DS9, Cheers, Taxi, Soap, Newhart, Magnum, The Fugitive, Falcon Crest, Columbo,Twilight Zone, Big Bang Theory, Road Runner etc
  • Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Some of my favourites are -Lost in Space; Land of the Giants; Star Trek (all versions), Babylon 5, Supernatural; Once Upon a Time; Search; Mission Impossible; Man from UNCLE, Girl from UNCLE, Outer Limits; Twilight Zone; Checkmate; My World and Welcome to It; He and She; Nanny and the Professor, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir; The Smiths; Daktari; Flipper; Lassie; The Defenders; Perry Mason; Ironside; Barnaby Jones; Naked City; Ellery Queen; Fantastic Journey; Logan's Run; Man from Atlantis; Bewitched; I Dream of Jeannie; Green Acres; Wagon Train; The High Chaparral; Wells Fargo; The Lone Ranger; Wyatt Earp; Dr. Kildare; Tarzan; Sgt. Bilko; The Lucy Show; Here's Lucy; The Burns and Allen Show;