Options

Poll: How should the UK react to the proposed new EU treaty

ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
Forum Member
✭✭
The options are:

* Sign it unconditionally. Look, these are desperate times. World leaders need to act together and act quickly. If we start arguing over who has what powers or get too coy over giving the Franco-Germans too much control, we will end up the worse for it. Besides, we could always leave later if the treaty turned out to be too bad.

* Have no part of it. Don't you just know that this treaty is going to create a two speed Europe. The Eurozone countries, and in particular Germany and France, will be telling the UK what to do from here to eternity and we will effectively lose all semblance of independence.

* The country needs a referendum. We can't leave this to Cameron and Clegg. We need to debate the terms and discuss the implications and the public should then vote on it. They denied us the vote when they drew up the EU charter but this is an earth shaking change and they shouldn't make that mistake again.

* I need more time to think about this. Specifically, I want to know what's being proposed, I want to read the small print. Once we know the details, let's decide what to do then, and only then.

* Treaty? Whaddya talkin' about? Get a life. It's the X Factor final this weekend dontcha know!

What should UK do about the new EU treaty? 93 votes

Sign it unconditionally
12% 12 votes
Should definitely not sign it
7% 7 votes
There should be a public referendum
38% 36 votes
Not sure yet - need to see the detail
40% 38 votes
I'm really not bothered you know
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went with "detail".

What's this treaty about? Why do we keep needing treaties with Europe?

It will be amusing to hear the coalitions excuses as to why we can't have a referendum. An of course Labour demanding one.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on what the treaty actually says.

I suspect any new treaty may only be applicable to the Eurozone so they can avoid Britain making things difficult. In which case, we don't need to do anything.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically another treaty is needed because of the Euro crisis, The French and the Germans want "fiscal union" between members and they need another treaty to achieve this.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Need more time to digest the details of it before saying yay or nay.
  • Options
    Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually in favour of closer economic ties with Germany and France. The mistake they made with the Euro was to involve the weaker economies without having some visibility over their economic policies. Them having the Euro behind them more or less gave them an open cheque book with the lenders.

The last government we're just as guilty as well. Bloody mess they left behind.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Details. Financial services are one of Britain's biggest exports. If the treaty does anything to jepordise that then we should not sign. We've already been shafted by Europe when we gave away our fishing industry by signing up to the common fisheries policy. If we do sign. It has to be done on our terms.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron should stop faffing around Angela Merkel's skirts to try to make himself look statesmanlike and making speeches abroad about the UK national interest , and instead get back home and start banging heads together to make the government work for the benefit of the people.

The countries adopting the Euro need to start getting their budgets more integrated. We aren't in it
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think fiscal union is the best answer to the current crisis but I don't see it happening very quickly. I actually think a 'United States of Europe' is a good thing to aim for but I'm not convinced that now is the right time to be going that far. There's still too much of a tendency to view people in other countries as 'foreigners' rather than 'fellow Europeans'. Still if they can get fiscal union up and running it's a step in the right direction from a long term perspective as well helping resolve the current crisis.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    We can't leave this to Cameron and Clegg.

I would prefer Cameron and Clegg than send two random members of the public to Brussels to negotiate.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    We need to wait and see the detail of any treaty changes because knee jerk voting will be a disaster if we vote yes on a train wreck or conversely vote no on something that would actually help the crisis. This is far to important an issue to rush into any decisions.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    I would prefer Cameron and Clegg than send two random members of the public to Brussels to negotiate.

There's much better candidates than those, either individually or as a dynamic duo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The buzzphrase "two speed Europe" implies continental Europe powering ahead while Britain lags behind "on the sidelines".

I put it to you that the reverse would actually be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    The buzzphrase "two speed Europe" implies continental Europe powering ahead while Britain lags behind "on the sidelines".

It's already started. Mr Cameron could not attend this meeting.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16070611
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    We can't trust Clegg at all, the numpty has made it very clear that we should move in bed with the EU. Cameron on the other hand I think is in a tough position, put a hole in the coalition or do what Labour done and sign our future away, taking away the vote from the public.

It's all very exciting though. My personal view is to show up with a list of demands that will distance us from the EU and means we won't be coughing up more money. Then possibly sign
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually in favour of closer economic ties with Germany and France. The mistake they made with the Euro was to involve the weaker economies without having some visibility over their economic policies. Them having the Euro behind them more or less gave them an open cheque book with the lenders.

The last government we're just as guilty as well. Bloody mess they left behind.

Well it seemed pretty obvious at the time (well to me anyway) but "glorious leaders who know it all" knew better :D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

I put it to you that the reverse would actually be true.
    I put it to you that you'd be wrong. Two of the three biggest economies in the EU(*) would be using the same currency and following the same fiscal policy. Countries outside the Euro would be at great risk of being shut out. Even if the Euro dropped in value as a result it would be bad for us because it would harm our exports. It'd be far cheaper for countries within the Euro (currently the majority) to buy from their peers rather than pay a premium to buy goods outside the Eurozone.

I think that if fiscal union is achieved it would actually be a damn good time for us to join the Euro. I don't think we could afford to remain outside it.

(*)In fact the two biggest in the EU at the moment although France isn't that far ahead of us.
  • Options
    I Trust in God.I Trust in God. Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The options are:

* Sign it unconditionally. Look, these are desperate times. World leaders need to act together and act quickly. If we start arguing over who has what powers or get too coy over giving the Franco-Germans too much control, we will end up the worse for it. Besides, we could always leave later if the treaty turned out to be too bad.

* Have no part of it. Don't you just know that this treaty is going to create a two speed Europe. The Eurozone countries, and in particular Germany and France, will be telling the UK what to do from here to eternity and we will effectively lose all semblance of independence.

* The country needs a referendum. We can't leave this to Cameron and Clegg. We need to debate the terms and discuss the implications and the public should then vote on it. They denied us the vote when they drew up the EU charter but this is an earth shaking change and they shouldn't make that mistake again.

* I need more time to think about this. Specifically, I want to know what's being proposed, I want to read the small print. Once we know the details, let's decide what to do then, and only then.

* Treaty? Whaddya talkin' about? Get a life. It's the X Factor final this weekend dontcha know!

You forgot the option "Toilet Paper".
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The options are:

We wont even see the Treaty until March 2012. So I'll make my mind up then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's nice to see the Tories destroying themselves over Europe they aren't really helping very much, I still think we've got to give constructive and necessary help and support to our European neighbours. For now we should stay put; our economy needs a healthy Eurozone and the Eurozone needs strong partners. However down the line the UK and other non-Eurozone countries need to be able to re-think their options. The one thing Cameron and Clegg should look for is an easy re-negotiation structure should the Eurozone caucusing mean that EU policies and directives are simply set by the Eurozone countries.

Once our economy and that of the Eurozone is relatively stable we can decide our future in Europe, whether that's in the Euro, out of the EU, just a member of the common market or the status quo for me now isn't really the time to make that decision, the heat from the fires under the Euro are too great.
  • Options
    Sapphire SunSapphire Sun Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Smiggs wrote: »
    While it's nice to see the Tories destroying themselves over Europe they aren't really helping very much, I still think we've got to give constructive and necessary help and support to our European neighbours. For now we should stay put; our economy needs a healthy Eurozone and the Eurozone needs strong partners. However down the line the UK and other non-Eurozone countries need to be able to re-think their options. The one thing Cameron and Clegg should look for is an easy re-negotiation structure should the Eurozone caucusing mean that EU policies and directives are simply set by the Eurozone countries.

Once our economy and that of the Eurozone is relatively stable we can decide our future in Europe, whether that's in the Euro, out of the EU, just a member of the common market or the status quo for me now isn't really the time to make that decision, the heat from the fires under the Euro are too great.

Sorry but screw them, if there is spare funds then lets use them to ensure our economy,citizens benefit. Why should we be taxed to the hilt,work longer so foreign nations can get themselves out of a hole.

I was until recently pro europe, now i say screw them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I put it to you that you'd be wrong. Two of the three biggest economies in the EU(*) would be using the same currency and following the same fiscal policy. Countries outside the Euro would be at great risk of being shut out. Even if the Euro dropped in value as a result it would be bad for us because it would harm our exports. It'd be far cheaper for countries within the Euro (currently the majority) to buy from their peers rather than pay a premium to buy goods outside the Eurozone.

I think that if fiscal union is achieved it would actually be a damn good time for us to join the Euro. I don't think we could afford to remain outside it.

(*)In fact the two biggest in the EU at the moment although France isn't that far ahead of us.

If any PM signs away the UK's right to determine fiscal matters to an unelected bunch of foreigners whose sole interest is ensure the continued welfare and prosperity of Germany then they should be forced from office and hung.

We cannot interfere in the fiscal policies of Germany/France ect and they and the EU cannot be allowed to have a say in how the UK government formats and presents UK fiscal matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but screw them, if there is spare funds then lets use them to ensure our economy,citizens benefit. Why should we be taxed to the hilt,work longer so foreign nations can get themselves out of a hole.

I was until recently pro europe, now i say screw them.

Hang on there! I'm not advocating giving them more money, we've got enough problems of our own. But we don't want to give them another sore to itch as it'll only end up diseased, rotten and eventually fall off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smiggs wrote: »
    Hang on there! I'm not advocating giving them more money, we've got enough problems of our own. But we don't want to give them another sore to itch as it'll only end up diseased, rotten and eventually fall off.

Ah i misunderstood that bit,:o

Anyway i feel Ireland will be europe's latest sore not us as it is likely they will put any changes to a referendum. Things were better before all this integration nonsense and the best way to determine the UK's future with Europe is to have a referendum on the relationship and if we stay in how far we allow them to have a say in domestic matters.

At the time of the last referendum which was about entry into the EEC i was too young to be able to have my say so its now acceptable for there to be a new referendum about the UK's membership of the EU.

If its unfair to tie a future UK government to policies enacted by a previous administration then it is unacceptable to bind my generation and those that will come after us to a decision made in the seventies. Scotland will have a referendum about independence which i shall cast my vote but as a unionist angered with Labour and its time in government it is not a forgone conclusion i will vote to stay in the union.

Therefore by enacting the same rational its time that the UK better still all member nations of the EU allowed their electorate to decide if they want stronger ties with the EU, looser ties or a full break from the EU. Membership of the EU cannot be a permanent unending commitment , better to allow a referendum on the subject every 15 yrs that will give the administrations that are elected during those 15 year blocks a mandate to participate in EU and its institutions.

Technopratts continue to call the shots while the european electorate are increasingly marginalised by an elitists few have heard of a care not a jot for as they continue to empire build at the expense of democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...an unelected bunch of foreigners ...

You may have summed up the entire euro debate.

Some see the EU has organisation in which the UK can participate and contribute.

Others see the EU as a 'bunch of foreigners'.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is a new treaty - and really there needs to be, there should be a referendum as this was a manifesto promise of the government. It doesn't matter what is in the treaty, Cameron can't survive in his own party if there is no referendum as he promised one.

The UK would not be the only country to have one, there would have to be one in the Netherlands and one in Ireland by law, and if it affected the German constitution, they would have to have one too.

It's for this reason we are very likely to get fudge rather than a treaty as Germany and France absolutely do NOT want any of this put to the people in any EU country. There isn't popular support for most of the proposed changes in ANY country.