Chief Whip Calls Police "plebs"

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First questions I have:-

a) Why, precisely and exactly, was he told this ? :-
    The incident occurred after Mr Mitchell was told by officers to get off his bicycle as he left Downing Street and use the smaller pedestrian gate.

What are the reasons ? Had he always ridden the way he was doing, before without any incident.

b) How did the police officer speak to him & did he give Mitchell the precise reasoning as to why he was giving the instruction ?

One sided report so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    b) How did the police officer speak to him & did he give Mitchell the precise reasoning as to why he was giving the instruction ?

One sided report so far.

There is no way of speaking that would have made 'pleb' a reasonable name to call them. In any case, he has apologised for it now.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big deal :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way of speaking that would have made 'pleb' a reasonable name to call them. In any case, he has apologised for it now.

It was nice of him to apologise for it even though he claims he didn't do it.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not saying it necessarily would, but I'd still like to know the other side of the story to see if he was provoked.

At least Mitchell may now be aware of the way the police speak to Joe and Joanna Bloggs on a daily basis.
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROFL, must've been a slow news day to have this as one of the big stories on the BBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Yawn. I'm sure they've been called a lot worse.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Why would people be outraged at a politician calling a police officer a pleb? I have heard members of the public (and probably those outraged by this) calling police officers a helluva lot worse names than plebs.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would people be outraged at a politician calling a police officer a pleb? I have heard members of the public (and probably those outraged by this) calling police officers a helluva lot worse names than plebs.

It feeds into the general story of the Tories being arrogant aristocratic toffs who know nothing of the ordinary people.........
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally the right-wing around here call for the arrest of a person using such language against police officers.

When the person using the language is a Conservative MP it's suddenly a different story.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I am probably wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew Mitchelll, being a former officer in the army took offence at somebody he thought was being a jumped up little hitler.
  • Options
    MuddyMooseMuddyMoose Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Normally the right-wing around here call for the arrest of a person using such language against police officers.

When the person using the language is a Conservative MP it's suddenly a different story.

^This. Where are the defenders of the police now?

Saying that, why is this breaking news on Sky and BBC News? Someone said something to the police, and..? Are people saying we can't offend the police now? Do we need another poll asking if the police need better protection than Joe Public from rude people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MuddyMoose wrote: »
    ^This. Where are the defenders of the police now?

Saying that, why is this breaking news on Sky and BBC News? Someone said something to the police, and..? Are people saying we can't offend the police now? Do we need another poll asking if the police need better protection than Joe Public from rude people?

Oh God, please don't. The last one annoyed me so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Hmmmmm, yes I was kind of thinking the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    It was this kind of tittle-tattle that led to the war.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, please don't. The last one annoyed me so much.

Not very patriotic, our country will go the dogs and it'll be anarchy if we don't give the police special treatment.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    It was this kind of tittle-tattle that led to the war.

:confused:

What kind of tittle tattle and what war?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MuddyMoose wrote: »
    Not very patriotic, our country will go the dogs and it'll be anarchy if we don't give the police special treatment.:p

“ Patriotism is a disease.” For a person to say something like, “The USA is the best country on earth” is exactly the same as saying “White people are God’s chosen race”. Albert Einstein

:p
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non-story of the week.

I would bet many coppers having to deal with teenagers in many areas of the country would dearly love "pleb" to be the worse insult they encounter.

Anyhow, he has apologised to all concerned. Maybe he'll sing it as well.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Not saying it necessarily would, but I'd still like to know the other side of the story to see if he was provoked.

At least Mitchell may now be aware of the way the police speak to Joe and Joanna Bloggs on a daily basis.

How often have they spoken to you in that way?
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is news?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the Officer involved gave a toss. Being called everything under the sun is part of the job, and it is water off a ducks back.

It causes a bit of political infighting though, and that is the purpose of the story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not great timing for him. Although he still claims he didn't actually do anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Non-story of the week.

I would bet many coppers having to deal with teenagers in many areas of the country would dearly love "pleb" to be the worse insult they encounter.

Anyhow, he has apologised to all concerned. Maybe he'll sing it as well.

To me it is a bit of a story (only a bit though).

I mean this man is paid by us to work for us and more so his party: The conservatives.

With him being at Downing Street I would think he was on official working business and I find it an inappropriate way to behave and represent his party.

If he had issue with an officer he should have reported him in the proper and official manner, not react how he did (which ultimately has brought negative headlines for the Party)

The guy might have apologised but had this gone un noticed would he still have found this remorse? .... I severely doubt it.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I doubt the Officer involved gave a toss. Being called everything under the sun is part of the job, and it is water off a ducks back.
    He gave enough of a toss to report it to his superiors.
    It causes a bit of political infighting though, and that is the purpose of the story.
    Oh well, perhaps that was why he reported it.