Hollyoaks don't have the right

GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
Forum Member
In my opinion, Hollyoaks hasn't been a serious show for some time now and I feel offended that they've even dared to 'explore' this storyline. What they've done is call up a couple of charities and asked them a few shallow questions to make their show look like it's raising an important issue when all it's doing is glamorising it like it always done.

My problem here is that they've given no thought whatsoever to character development and they've just thought they can turn an innocent kid into a rapist without going through the appropriate stages that brings a person to that vile act. They've given no thought to where John Paul's character has come from and just thought "Okay well now he's a teacher in a position of power lets have him get raped".

I guess the underlying problem is that I feel Hollyoaks has recently been all shocks and no substance and its one thing to suddenly turn innocent characters into arsonists, murderers and bombers just to get the show publicity and awards, but to stoop so low as to have the story of a teenager raping an adult without any proper on screen development and essentially a ploy just to shock and win awards... its disgusting...

Comments

• Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Well hollyoaks do generally 'these type' . But i see where you are coming from.
    Its now an absolute joke soap. Im still reelig from the ridiculousness of Teresa Mcqueen being caught.
    And Sonny Valentine now being a copper.
    You couldnt make it up
  • dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The show is too OTT at the moment to start trying to attempt serious storylines. You cant have stupid gangster plots and detective's investigating their own brothers murder alongside such serious storylines as rape and domestic abuse.

A few years ago these serious storylines would have been handled really well in the show but over the last 6 months the show has gone to the dogs.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Hollyoaks hasn't been a serious show for some time now and I feel offended that they've even dared to 'explore' this storyline. What they've done is call up a couple of charities and asked them a few shallow questions to make their show look like it's raising an important issue when all it's doing is glamorising it like it always done.

My problem here is that they've given no thought whatsoever to character development and they've just thought they can turn an innocent kid into a rapist without going through the appropriate stages that brings a person to that vile act. They've given no thought to where John Paul's character has come from and just thought "Okay well now he's a teacher in a position of power lets have him get raped".

I guess the underlying problem is that I feel Hollyoaks has recently been all shocks and no substance and its one thing to suddenly turn innocent characters into arsonists, murderers and bombers just to get the show publicity and awards, but to stoop so low as to have the story of a teenager raping an adult without any proper on screen development and essentially a ploy just to shock and win awards... its disgusting...

You don't hve the right to express your opinion!!

Hollyoaks can do what they want! God all this moaning is starting to get annoying now!!
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Its now an absolute joke soap. Im still reelig from the ridiculousness of Teresa Mcqueen being caught.
    You couldnt make it up

It's like the writiers have a comeptition to see who can come up with the most bollocks. Its an insult of intelligence and if not already, bordering offensive
    dubgaz wrote: »
    I agree. The show is too OTT at the moment to start trying to attempt serious storylines. You cant have stupid gangster plots and detective's investigating their own brothers murder alongside such serious storylines as rape and domestic abuse.

A few years ago these serious storylines would have been handled really well in the show but over the last 6 months the show has gone to the dogs.

Well said.
    Forum Member
    D.DotA wrote: »

Hollyoaks can do what they want! God all this moaning is starting to get annoying now!!

Well, brace yourself cause you won't be hearing the end of it from until Hollyoaks gets the noose, I've had enough of their codswallop they've drawn the last straw with me and I absolutely have the right to express y opinion if it isn't offending anyone unlike Hollyoaks' bullcrap
    Forum Member
    You couldnt make it up

sorry meant to say ''these type of storylines''
    Forum Member

do they not , why??

its people on DS who keep defending this show, they are stopping it from being fixed.
    hollyoaks has been my favourite soap for years, and frankly to say that they/kirkwood are not now taking the piss, would just be pure ignorance.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldnt make it up

Unfortunately they just did! I understand exactly what you are saying. When they did the anorexia storyline etc it didn't seem incongruous because they took their time and it bedded in well with the other stories. For example it was partly started because of JP's coming out storyline and his love for Craig.

The idea that Sonny would be able to interview Theresa etc is laughable. I just think they have taken the idea that this is a soap and you can do anything beyond common sense to extremes. By introducing silly plots they immediately devalue serious issues because they have to run alongside the ridiculous.

I honestly believe they should have done the rape storyline in the Later programme which is exactly what it was designed for. They are going to have to be so careful because apparently young people are watching (regardless of whether they should be)and I think any impact will be lost because of this.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then you are on the wrong forum because this is what DS forum is about, people will express their opinion wherever you like or not and will not be told not too just because you don't agree with it.

No one forces you to click the thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? If they want to do it then who are you to say thwy haven't got the right? They planned it for a year. To say they put no thought into itnis ridiculous. If you dont like it, fine. Don't watch it.
  • dwswhsdwswhs Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I think it's a little far to call it disgusting. Hollyoaks has tackled many hard hitting storylines over the years and this is just another one of them. It didn't start as well JP and Craig's affair, Hannah's anorexia etc but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to tell a story which is what they're trying to do. And they don't just call up a few charities and get a little information, the actors and writers have said numerous times the amount of research and planning which goes into a storyline like this to make it as real as possible and to do it justice. I think the writing and acting has been marvellous even more so these past couple of weeks when it comes to JP and Finn and although the attack was difficult to watch I want to see the aftermath and what will happen not just to these two characters but to the people around them as well. If you're allowed to state your opinion which heavily ****'s on Hollyoaks then i'm definitely allowed to defend it with my own.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem here is that they've given no thought whatsoever to character development and they've just thought they can turn an innocent kid into a rapist without going through the appropriate stages that brings a person to that vile act.

Can you please explain the appropriate stages that brings one person to rape another?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do they not , why??

its people on DS who keep defending this show, they are stopping it from being fixed.
    hollyoaks has been my favourite soap for years, and frankly to say that they/kirkwood are not now taking the piss, would just be pure ignorance.
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Then you are on the wrong forum because this is what DS forum is about, people will express their opinion wherever you like or not and will not be told not too just because you don't agree with it.

No one forces you to click the thread.

The OP said Hollyoaks don't have the right - YES they do! Saying Hollyoaks don't have the right is just like me saying the OP doesn't have te right to express their opinion - see what I'm getting at here! *Roll eyes face*
    Really? If they want to do it then who are you to say thwy haven't got the right? They planned it for a year. To say they put no thought into itnis ridiculous. If you dont like it, fine. Don't watch it.

This!!
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks don't have the right to do a rape sl :confused: they have the right just like any other soap to tackle whatever issue they want.

The rape wasn't planned by Finn, he didn't start the day saying 'Oh, I'm going to rape JP today'. Finn wanted to humiliate and degrade JP, hitting over the head wasn't enough he wanted to make JP feel pathetic etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Hollyoaks don't have the right to do a rape sl :confused: they have the right just like any other soap to tackle whatever issue they want.

The rape wasn't planned by Finn, he didn't start the day saying 'Oh, I'm going to rape JP today'. Finn wanted to humiliate and degrade JP, hitting over the head wasn't enough he wanted to make JP feel pathetic etc.

Thank god someone's speaking sense on here! Agree with every word!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I totally agree that Finn's character development around this has been a prime case of writing the character to fit the storyline and could have been handled a lot better.

While the set up might have been ham-fisted though, how about not condemning the entire storyline before it's properly had a chance to get going? What it's lacked in the beginning could be made up for in how the rest of it plays out.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually the OP has every right to express an opinion. This is a Forum. I agree with the OP too. Too many issue led storylines with not enough thought behind them and too many characters changing character just to facilitate a particular storyline.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you even been watching the show? It's not like they've had "innocent Finn" skipping around rainbows catch eyes with JP and decide to rape him. It's been building and building since the day he returned.

Within two weeks back he completely trashed his house to stop his Dad from selling it. He's not been innocent by any stretch of the imagination and the last few weeks have shown how angry and desperate he's been getting with life particularly in JPs direction not to mention how defeated and weak JP has been getting.

There has been zero personality transplant for Finn. He left as a 13 year old father (who didn't have a personality) and has been a little tearaway since theminute he got back.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry meant to say ''these type of storylines''

I partially agree with this the storyline has effectively ran for four years and was over in three days it was very rushed however Sonny being a copper. He was in the show for 9 months and hasn't been in it for 7 years.

It's perfectly reasonable for that drastic change to occur and he was still a manipulative and shady idiot when it came back so he didn't change entirely. Yes he did get arrested when he was younger however he was 16 and unless it's a major major crime the slate is wiped clean at 18.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Have you even been watching the show? It's not like they've had "innocent Finn" skipping around rainbows catch eyes with JP and decide to rape him. It's been building and building since the day he returned.

Within two weeks back he completely trashed his house to stop his Dad from selling it. He's not been innocent by any stretch of the imagination and the last few weeks have shown how angry and desperate he's been getting with life particularly in JPs direction not to mention how defeated and weak JP has been getting.

There has been zero personality transplant for Finn. He left as a 13 year old father (who didn't have a personality) and has been a little tearaway since theminute he got back.

Exactly, it's been building up for months.
    Forum Member
    dwswhs wrote: »
    I think it's a little far to call it disgusting. Hollyoaks has tackled many hard hitting storylines over the years and this is just another one of them. It didn't start as well JP and Craig's affair, Hannah's anorexia etc but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to tell a story which is what they're trying to do. And they don't just call up a few charities and get a little information, the actors and writers have said numerous times the amount of research and planning which goes into a storyline like this to make it as real as possible and to do it justice. I think the writing and acting has been marvellous even more so these past couple of weeks when it comes to JP and Finn and although the attack was difficult to watch I want to see the aftermath and what will happen not just to these two characters but to the people around them as well. If you're allowed to state your opinion which heavily ****'s on Hollyoaks then i'm definitely allowed to defend it with my own.

I never said you weren't allowed to express your opinion that's the whole reason I made this thread so people express their opinions and either mine or your opinions according to what's been said...

And as for the first bib I was saying that tptb are using this storyline tactically rather than to raise awareness
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Can you please explain the appropriate stages that brings one person to rape another?
    priscilla wrote: »

Exactly, but its not that simple to just rape someone for the fact of wanting to be more powerful than them. Wanting to be more powerful than someone is a storyline in itself...
    vkmax wrote: »

There has been zero personality transplant for Finn. He left as a 13 year old father (who didn't have a personality) and has been a little tearaway since the minute he got back.

... its one thing to spend the whole year being a "little tearaway" but he's not acting differently from any other hooligan his age, in order to progress this storline they needed to show Finn trying and failing at controlling/dominating people then it would have made sense to him resorting to rape, however all he's done is be an asbo teenager like any other and jumped straight to rapist see the incongruence ?
  • daniellejaynedaniellejayne Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what would these 'appropriate stages' be?

I think it shows just how ignorant some people are to the subject of rape that they don't believe anyone other than an exceptionally bad person could do it. I know a victim of rape and the person who carried it out would be the last person I would think could do something like that. The fact is not everything in life has a 'build up', actions can be done within the spur of the moment and things aren't always planned in advance despite what some people believe.

And anyway, how do you know what research they've done? It's actually pretty rude to suggest all they've done is "call up a couple of charities and asked them a few shallow questions" when the reality is you have no idea.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what would these 'appropriate stages' be?

I think it shows just how ignorant some people are to the subject of rape that they don't believe anyone other than an exceptionally bad person could do it. I know a victim of rape and the person who carried it out would be the last person I would think could do something like that. The fact is not everything in life has a 'build up', actions can be done within the spur of the moment and things aren't always planned in advance despite what some people believe.

And anyway, how do you know what research they've done? It's actually pretty rude to suggest all they've done is "call up a couple of charities and asked them a few shallow questions" when the reality is you have no idea.

Um, excuse me? Violent sexual assault IS only carried out by exceptionally bad people. There's no grey areas. They might not need a build-up in an obvious sense but there are ALWAYS underlying reasons why someone gets to the point where they feel the need to inflict that sort of pain and suffering on another human being.
  • daniellejaynedaniellejayne Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Um, excuse me? Violent sexual assault IS only carried out by exceptionally bad people. There's no grey areas. They might not need a build-up in an obvious sense but there are ALWAYS underlying reasons why someone gets to the point where they feel the need to inflict that sort of pain and suffering on another human being.

I mean people seem to think there has to be evidence of previous, to prove they're just a bad person, when actually on the surface someone can come across as a good, honest person yet still carry out vile actions such as rape.