Should Kirkwood step away from Hollyoaks?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Or be given the push?

I think a lot of fans have been tipped over the edge now with the 'sienna spoiler' which can be found on the forum.

Though that's if they were tipped over the edge from the previous few months of nonsense.

What do you think?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should step away from all TV soaps.

Does this Sienna spoiler involve cheating? It seems it's all he can think up.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    He needs to leave!! He's ruining hollyoaks at the moment and he has a big ego!!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step away and bring in a new producer, I'm not sure if its all his work as I believe they've a appointed a new series producer or more so not even sure how much role he plays in day to day things but the show is moving south with its plots and its not good quality wise anymore.
  • ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a new producer. This Sienna story line has tipped me over the edge too.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    He should step away from all TV soaps.

Nope, not cheating. Fan-theory come true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Emma Smithwick back!
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »

I don't watch HO but he did exactly the same on EastEnders. Every couple was unfaithful when he was in charge.

Anyway, I think he should stay away from soap period.
  • saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is the new sienna spoiler?
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross1998 wrote: »
    Get Emma Smithwick back!

Bring her and Kathleen Beedles back! They really understood the show and come up with so many great plots!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I want Kirkwood out! he ruin Hollyoaks already, copy from Eastenders about Jim McGinn/Dennis Rickman stabbing. He change lots of age number like Sienna/Dodger is 23 but now is 26, can make Peri be Sophie Blake. It's doesn't make sense.
  • flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,804
    Forum Member
    Yes!

Since he returned to the show it's turned into over the top sensationalist rubbish were characters, families and relationships are sacrificed for a cheap OMG moment.

I know some people quite like all of this but the show can't continue with this format long term. Brookside is the perfect example of what happens when a soap becomes addicted to these kind of stories.

It's a shame because his first stint was brilliant and really was Hollyoaks at it's very best!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he should step FAR away from Hollyoaks. The show is fast turning into a caricature.

Honestly, it's like having a hyperactive child on crack running the show. He doesn't think a storyline or plot twist through properly and seems oblivious to the the implausibility and illogic of the twist. He relies solely on shock tactics and mindless sensationalism. Additionally, the pace of the show is ridiculously fast - another symptom of Kirkwood's hyperactivity.

I still regard his first stint as the best era in the show's history, but this current stint has been a diabolical mess with some bright spots in between.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross1998 wrote: »
    Get Emma Smithwick back!

Ugh, no thanks! Emma's anything-but-likeable teens dominated the show when she was in charge, big time - they invaded more storylines than Fraser and Trevor, and usually ruined said storylines when they did so. Emma Smithwick's reign at Hollyoaks was the first time I considered switching off, which, considering I stuck it out through Lucy Allan's lawnmower races and Paul Marquess' constant chopping and changing, is saying a fair bit.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,525
    Forum Member
    I voted Yesstupidly as I do want him to step away (as per the thread title).

Then the poll flips its and says Yes to stay and No to go :D

Anyway minus 1 of yes to stay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Yesstupidly as I do want him to step away (as per the thread title).

Then the poll flips its and says Yes to stay and No to go :D

Anyway minus 1 of yes to stay.

I was going to say the 8 people need to be named and shamed lol
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem that Kirkwood and his team are a like a bunch overexcited work experience students that have been left in charge of a TV Show, absolutely no structure or thought is put into it. Aftermaths have never been Hollyoaks strong point but recently that has been taken to new levels. They want to give us shocks and twists but right now it is far to much and as for character exits, we've had far to many deaths and if they do by some miracle decide to not kill a character off they give them a complete character transplant to fit the story and then they leave on a bus i.e-Tilly. I'm a bit behind on Hollyoaks but I do think the Finn and John Paul story has been done very well, and I've been impressed with the Maxine and Patrick story as well and I love the Cindy/Mercy/Lindsay trio. Grace though, oh my days, if it wasn't for Blackburn ruining the majority of the women in Corrie then Grace would seriously become one of my most hated characters at the moment.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lost boy wrote: »
    Ugh, no thanks! Emma's anything-but-likeable teens dominated the show when she was in charge, big time - they invaded more storylines than Fraser and Trevor, and usually ruined said storylines when they did so. Emma Smithwick's reign at Hollyoaks was the first time I considered switching off, which, considering I stuck it out through Lucy Allan's lawnmower races and Paul Marquess' constant chopping and changing, is saying a fair bit.

The problem is since Kirkwood left Hollyoaks haven't been able to find a Producer who can strike the right balance. Lucy Allan nearly destroyed the show with weak plots, badly drawn and written characters and comedy stories that even CBebbies wouldn't touch. Paul Marquess whilst brought us Brendan and did create some good stories kept changing stuff at the last minute which meant the editing was off and scenes were cut etc and the show became difficult to follow. Then there is that Gareth Phillips, but I am not sure he even existed. I didn't actually mind Emma Smithwick to much, my main problem with her though was her fascination with teens, I know Hollyoaks has always been a young person's soap but the teens she focused on were not likeable and badly written i.e-Maddie and her gang, and she totally neglected the older and established characters. Kirkwood's second reign is no where near his first but I would still take it over what we have had. If Channel 4 were really bothered about the state of the show and wanted to improve it then they would look around and bring someone new in but ratings don't seem to be to bad so I doubt they would be bothered.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just HO, soap in general >:( bloody soap wrecker!!>:(
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    I voted YES!!! I never miss an episode these days with all the twists and turns, ratings are over a million most days now and have being since xmas which means more people are enjoying it !!!
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    The problem is since Kirkwood left Hollyoaks haven't been able to find a Producer who can strike the right balance. Lucy Allan nearly destroyed the show with weak plots, badly drawn and written characters and comedy stories that even CBebbies wouldn't touch. Paul Marquess whilst brought us Brendan and did create some good stories kept changing stuff at the last minute which meant the editing was off and scenes were cut etc and the show became difficult to follow. Then there is that Gareth Phillips, but I am not sure he even existed. I didn't actually mind Emma Smithwick to much, my main problem with her though was her fascination with teens, I know Hollyoaks has always been a young person's soap but the teens she focused on were not likeable and badly written i.e-Maddie and her gang, and she totally neglected the older and established characters. Kirkwood's second reign is no where near his first but I would still take it over what we have had. If Channel 4 were really bothered about the state of the show and wanted to improve it then they would look around and bring someone new in but ratings don't seem to be to bad so I doubt they would be bothered.

With Emma and the teens (and that period of their domination was awful) I'm sure she was specifically brought in to make it a teen show rather than the soap it was (and that was a decision over her head rather than her choosing to remould the show) but when they realised that wasn't working - and Kathleen Beedles was brought in - the show improved drastically. Late summer 2012 onwards if you ignore the Abersoch component was Hollyoaks at the top of its game.

In terms of characters I think Paul Marquess seemed to be the best at character creation, casting and finding new roles (e.g. when it was Brendan, Jacqui, Rhys, Ste, Cheryl in the club those were great times). Pairing up Darren and Nancy too.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What more can I say, other than I agree with most of this.

In defence of Gareth Phillips, as I understand it he was never made (for want of a better description) the 'official' EP - he was always the caretaker EP until someone else came along (in this case Emma Smithwick) so never really had the need, if the remit, to make his mark, if you see what I mean. I do remember he got the Silas storyline under some sort of control during his tenure though, which was good. Emma was apparently hovering in the background/involved in the creative process (delete as you see fit) for a while before taking control though, which explains the teen overload even then.

With regards to Emma Smithwick - I agree. Her fascination with Maddie and co was blatant beyond belief and was to the obvious detriment of other characters. Remember the Freshers - Annalise and co? Came in about the same time as Maddie and co, but while Maddie and co were barely off screen, Annalise and co were barely ON screen, so it wasn't just the older established characters that Emma neglected...

As for Kirkwood
    Kirkwood's second reign is no where near his first but I would still take it over what we have had. If Channel 4 were really bothered about the state of the show and wanted to improve it then they would look around and bring someone new in but ratings don't seem to be to bad so I doubt they would be bothered.

Requoted as I couldn't have put it better myself, and I haven't voted in the thread poll for that reason. Personally I'm more sick and tired of particular characters at the moment rather than the show as a whole, so as things stand I'm sticking around, but I agree the show is in a bit of a mess at the moment - Sienna spoiler anyone? I like Sienna, but I loathe that spoiler :(
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I voted no
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should step away from the tv industry full stop!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know it might not be so much Bryan Kirkwood but more the people he is employing. Emily Gascoyne whom he brought to EE to take over from Dominic Treadwell Collins was awful. She really was terrible at EastEnders. The quality dip from DTCs last episode to Emily Gascoyne's first was like a massive slap in the face. She only lasted something like six months in the role. I'm not sure if she was made a scapegoat for the baby swap or whether or not the fact she was terrible got her the sack but either way I was left baffled when I read Kirkwood was bringing her into Hollyoaks.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it might not be so much Bryan Kirkwood but more the people he is employing. Emily Gascoyne whom he brought to EE to take over from Dominic Treadwell Collins was awful. She really was terrible at EastEnders. The quality dip from DTCs last episode to Emily Gascoyne's first was like a massive slap in the face. She only lasted something like six months in the role. I'm not sure if she was made a scapegoat for the baby swap or whether or not the fact she was terrible got her the sack but either way I was left baffled when I read Kirkwood was bringing her into Hollyoaks.

Well its still his fault for employing her (roll eyes)