Germany vs Algeria - ITV 9pm KO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
There's history between these two sides and a place in the QFs up for grabs. Germany go in as clear favourites, but Algeria are a hard working team that could prove difficult to break down.
Enjoy the match!

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Water is wet and it gets dark at night. Savour the soccer!!!
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adrian announced that Thiago Thome who sings the ITV theme song Brazil will be performing at the end of this match tomorrow can't wait. I can't stop singing this song.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info Pete. Just so I'm clear, whoever wins will get to the quarter finals? And Germany are more likely to win than Algeria are?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that info Pete. Just so I'm clear, whoever wins will get to the quarter finals? And Germany are more likely to win than Algeria are?

Yes that's correct. :) But anything can happen in this world cup so a win for the Algerians cannot be ruled out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    This promises to be an exciting contest.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the 1982 game, it was such a shock to see West Germany lose to Algeria. They were the European Champions and one of the favourites to win the cup. Ah, happy memories, 1982.........
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    This promises to be an exciting contest.

Actually, it doesn't. That contradicts your earlier "Germany go in as clear favourites" meaning this will be a washover.

But nice bump.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Remember people, Germany could win, but Algeria could win but it could also be a draw.

So many complexities.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating match just because of the history.

Germany do seem to have slightly gone off the boil following their demolition of Portugal in the opening match so it'll be interesting to see if they can recapture that to any degree tonight.

I still maintain that Algeria are the best African team in this World Cup and you can guarantee their players will more fired up for this match than any they've played for their country before purely because this is their chance to right the wrongs of 32 years ago.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany have lost to Algeria everytime they've played them.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Algeria, if you manage to get the first goal, don't just relax, sit back and hope to defend for the rest of the match. This is Germany. And they will score eventually if you sit back and let them attack you.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I hope Algeria win.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_Lamy wrote: »
    There's history between these two sides and a place in the QFs up for grabs. Germany go in as clear favourites, but Algeria are a hard working team that could prove difficult to break down.
    Enjoy the match!
    Evening Peter, evening all:) Just heard how sorry Saurez was re the incident. He promised it would never happen again, etc, and so forth, but would anyone believe him, as I wouldn't.

Glad to be able to see the Germany match and be up for it. :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Germany have lost to Algeria everytime they've played them.

Really?:o

Are you joking or are you serious?
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Fascinating match just because of the history.

1982 was my first World Cup - a fantastic tournament for so many reason; the Italy/Brazil match, Bryan Robson's goal after 27 seconds against France; Northern Irelands victory over the host nation Spain, Hungary sticking 10 past El Salvador, the epic semi-final between the Germans & French, I could go on.

And then there was the disgrace that was West Germany v Austria. I can't really blame the Algerians holding a grudge, especially the ones old enough to remember it.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get Lahm as a central midfielder. It just seems like clever tactics for the sake of being clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a fact.
    Forum Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27969924Under Match Facts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Algeria are the only team that Germany have played more than once who they've never beaten.
    Forum Member
    Interesting about the Ramadan ramifications. I wonder if we'll see the Algerian's dropping like flies due to lack of fluids.

Ozil has said he's not taking part this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I can't see Germany losing this, they're just too good. Would be amazing if they did though :D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Ozil has said he's not taking part this year.

Are you allowed to just opt out of Ramadan?

And if you are, why have the Algerians not chosen to do so?
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good thing is that it's much cooler out there, so there won't be any need for water breaks. :)
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I still don't get Lahm as a central midfielder. It just seems like clever tactics for the sake of being clever.

He's not done too badly there for me. He does tend to run up quite often though, he could do with being perhaps a more defensive midfielder.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    C'mon Algeria.