Options

Let the right one in

mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
Forum Member
✭✭
Have been reading about this film quite a bit over the last few days, has anyone seen it yet?

I'm really getting quite excited about seeing it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    It's possibly the greatest vampire movie in decades, beautifully shot and made. If you have a blu ray player you can get the american blu ray version now as it's region free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Its arty farty, uneventful and depressing. The kind of film a lot of people say they really like but ive no idea why. Just my personal opinion of course, report back let us know what you think of it.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Read the book too, and there is an American remake on the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Apparently people are claiming it's "everything that Twilight isn't".

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Twilight yet, so I can't say what it is!
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a fantastic film, its maybe not a mainstream film, its very much an arty film and I can understand why some people dont like it.

Having read the book after seeing the film I now wish I did it the other way around as I was left with a few questions after watching the film, especially one near the end.

It's one of the only movies that I thought about for weeks later, so far I have watched it 3 times.

The child actors are fantastic, even more so that they had never acted before.

There is an american remake, I believe the cloverfield director is doing it.

You only have to search on youtube for reviews to know that how good this film is, some reviewers putting it in the top 5 films of last year and one of the best vampire movies in the last 10 years( not sure if there's been that many though ).

Watch it and let us know what you think.

g
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I loved this movie, it's one of my all time favourite films.:)
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see it, unfortunately nowhere around me is showing it :(

I'll have to wait for the DVD release I suppose.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It's out on dvd already in other countries if you don't mind ordering online, but apparently the region 1 has the wrong subtitles compared to the original subtitles.
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been reading about this film quite a bit over the last few days, has anyone seen it yet?

I'm really getting quite excited about seeing it.

One of those rare instances where the movie lives up to the hype. Definitely go see it ! ;)
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »

I'll have to wait for the DVD release I suppose.

Same here. The nearest place showing it to me is Birmingham. Rubbish.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who all got that
    Eli was a castrated boy
    just from watching the film and not reading it online afterwards, that is the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Who all got that
    Eli was a castrated boy
    just from watching the film and not reading it online afterwards, that is the question.

I had a guess but had to get it confirmed straightaway on the internet and then of course a few days later I read the book.

Looking back and seeing the film a few times there are a few hints throughout in the film.

Apparently that scene was nearly cut as stand alone it made no sense, but he left it in.

reading the book brings a whole new light into that scene.

talking about it is making me watch it again. Now where is my copy...........

g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    00tommo wrote: »
    Same here. The nearest place showing it to me is Birmingham. Rubbish.

It is a rubbish situation, isn't it?

I imagine somebody at the distributors has decided "Oh, it's a Swedish subtitled film - people will never go see that..." - in spite of the fact that this really isn't a dialogue heavy film, and that the people who flocked to Pan's Labyrinth didn't appear to demand their money back when the subtitles came up on screen.

And they wonder why people are downloading stuff...

Worth getting the book to fill in some detail, although the author was closely involved in streamlining the plot to make the film more coherent, so they both stand up well in their own right.
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    How strange, I searched but these didn't come up :confused:

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, will check it out in the next few days.

:D Don't fret. I was just doing my bit for the search police:D

I read that LTROI is being remade in english. Cash in? I think the appeal of the film was the two child actors(;)) and they'll have a tough time keeping the spirit of the film intact in the translation. That doesn't stop the remake machine at the moment though:rolleyes:

You should definitely watch the original if you get chance OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More on the remake of Let The Right One In from the BBC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More on the remake of Let The Right One In from the BBC

From Director Matt (Cloverfield) Reeves:
    "One way to reduce the risk is to take a known quantity. If a film's played well in Europe and put bums on seats, there's a decent chance that a remake version will do the same thing."

Jeez..what contempt for an original artistic work, and shows a depressing regard for the ability of a US audience to comprehend something vaguely foreign.

With a film this good there's a "decent chance" that it will do well in its original form anyway, and save the studio a lot of money making a pointless remake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    "One way to reduce the risk is to take a known quantity. If a film's played well in Europe and put bums on seats, there's a decent chance that a remake version will do the same thing."

Actually, if i've seen the original version i try to avoid the American remake. For example, '[REC]' was brilliant, but 'Quarantine' didn't interest me at all. Remaking foreign subtitled films in English is the height of laziness in the film industry.

Saw this today, really enjoyed it. Would have enjoyed it more where it not for the idiotic 15 year olds that went into the film expecting a generic tween horror, and felt the need to ridicule the film and talk through it:rolleyes: Their cry of "is this in f*ckin' subtitles!" at the start of the film made my blood boil, lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyrical and thought provoking film.

Especially as Oskar's eventual fate is presaged by that of Eli's familiar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    i thought this film was going to be about australias immigration policies?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Who all got that
    Eli was a castrated boy

I didn't realise until I read it on the internet later:o
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught this movie up Milton Keynes last night and was quite impressed with my first taste of Swedish cinema: a thought provoking coming of age drama with a horrific slant!
    Who all got that
    Eli was a castrated boy

First thing I thought was that
    she' a bit young to have had a Caesarean section!
    It was an odd scene to have left in without any context along with the ambiguity of Eli' familiar but guess it serves as a good taster for the book.

Maybe it will be better explained in the American remake for the flyover states :D
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this film (online) a couple of days ago.

Great little film. Dark yet...sweet. The kids were impressive, especially for newcomers.

Will check out the Blu Ray now...
  • Options
    Eye SeaEye Sea Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorchisio wrote: »
    i thought this film was going to be about australias immigration policies?

LOL. I thought it might be about a dodgy goalkeeper up on a charge of match fixing. :D