Film 4 Extreme Season

2»

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Judging from what's on offer this series does look a bit thrown together, but at least they're trying, and for Film 4 it's better than nowt.

However, we could do without Kermode inflicting his opinion/agenda on films many will be seeing for the first time. Introducing Benny's Video last night he spouted forth at some length about the film as a comment on the effects/passivity of video violence, and then added, almost apologetically, that the film could (i.e. should you wish, but it's not as important) be seen as a comment on the borgeoisie/middle class values and attitude.

Watching the film, it becomes increasingly obvious that the film is a fairly trenchant attack on that and soon forms the bulk of the film, with video & violence being the inroad to it. I've nothing against Kermode introducing us to these films in an informed way, but this smacked of misdirection and bias.

True, this is just my reading against his. But, all the same - knock it off, eh, quiff head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr kermode does not appear to be the most popular film critic around!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched an hour or so of 'Love Exposure' last night.....it's about 4 or more hours long and in Japanese with subtitles.

I'm no great film expert but I suspect it's a masterpiece.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    mr kermode does not appear to be the most popular film critic around!

He's an arse! I fastforward his intro's, so thankfully didn't have his biased agenda in my head while watching Benny's Video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I started watching Antichrist film from the extreme season ( it was on other night film 4), and stopped it cos it seemed a bit disturbing to watch now in the day time..so i will watch it tonight instead :D :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    He's an arse! I fastforward his intro's, so thankfully didn't have his biased agenda in my head while watching Benny's Video.

Are you too weak willed to challenge his opinion and form your own? Obviously the answer is a big yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Are you too weak willed to challenge his opinion and form your own? Obviously the answer is a big yes.

No, of course i form my own opinion, that's actually the point, my opinion generally differs from his, hence why i personally think he's an arse (even the most ardent Kermode fan would surely have to agree that he's a bit up himself). I also dislike his reviewing style too (the only review of his that i've found entertaining was the admittedly hilarious review of the Danny Dyer film, "Pimp"). Thanks for being patronising though:rolleyes:
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Love Exposure is 4 hours long... that's extreme!

Ugh. That's the first of a trilogy -- Love Exposure (2008), Cold Fish (2010) and Guilty of Romance (2011). Sion Sono gets more inconsistent, pretentious and self-indulged with each film. I wish he wouldn't be like that. But I did like Chanto Tsutaeru, a small quiet film about a man and his dying father. Sentimental, but I liked it.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Was 'Antichrist' shown in full and completely uncut?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »

not sure..... (although there was certainly one thing that was cut..... ;))
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    not sure..... (although there was certainly one thing that was cut..... ;))

i thnk it was uncut..very horrible scenes in it..:eek: I cant stop thinking of it today , its stayed with me..any one else think it was badly extreme wise
    Forum Member
    oh just adding that when the adverts came on the announcer said contains violence and expilct sex scenes etc, warning the veiwers, so i think it was shown in full :eek:
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the *ahem* uncut version as far as I'm aware. A very weird experience to watch - harrowing and violent but intercut with beautiful scenery shots, and no surprise that von Trier dedicated the film to Andrei Tarkovsky - the exterior shots of the woodland and the cabin bear close similarity to those used in films like Mirror, Solaris and The Sacrifice (I half expected Charlotte Gainsbourg's character to levitate at some point...)