Oz the Great and Powerful

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want to know what the Wicked witch of the west is like :D I love Margaret Hamilton's portrayal :D
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Peonie wrote: »
    Hello, has anyone seen the film yet? I know there have been some advance screenings. I have fear that the film makers will not live up to expectations.
    Went to a preview screening earlier today & have to say I really enjoyed it, visually it was pretty spectacular and the use of 3D was very effective.

It was quite a bit darker (tonally speaking) than I was expecting and time wise it didn't outstay it's welcome so overall it's an 8/10 from me...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Went to a preview screening earlier today & have to say I really enjoyed it, visually it was pretty spectacular and the use of 3D was very effective.

It was quite a bit darker (tonally speaking) than I was expecting and time wise it didn't outstay it's welcome so overall it's an 8/10 from me...

Oh sounds good!

I'm really looking forward to this :D Especially the Wicked Witch (Theodora).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »

Thank you for posting that, you have made me feel better about it! I have been waiting for another Oz film pretty much since Return To Oz, so this is a little nerve wracking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen no scathing reviews. Most are positive! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly, 'Oz' is showing in every cinema except my local one! :confused:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Mila Kunis my girlcrush is in it and James Franco who I think is great :) Im looking forward to seeing it.
    Great {Crazy} interview with Mila, with some Boy from Radio 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Mariah Carey is singing the theme for the film! :)

I was looking forward to watching this film till I heard this lol!!!!!

Trailer look brill can't wait to see it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm seeing this next week now :)
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it today, it's average at best.
    James Franco is great, the ladies range between wooden and wasted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Saw it today, it's average at best.
    James Franco is great, the ladies range between wooden and wasted.

Oh really? :( I have great interest in all three (especially the wicked witch of the west).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh really? :( I have great interest in all three (especially the wicked witch of the west).

I'm probably being a bit mean - its ok and will entertain you.
    I just felt I was left a bit underwhelmed.

Three witches was probably one too many, many just one good and one bad.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today and thought the middle section lacked intrigue and significant development, as Oz effectivily stands still for 45mins undecided as to whether he will help or not. I also thought the witches presence in the film didn't work; They weren't threating enough nor were they suffienty developed as characters. But the monkey was good.

4/10
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that reviews are pretty mixed so far. I have to admit that I'm only interested in seeing it because of Michelle Williams.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I thought it was really really good, it looked good and the performances were awesome, especially Franco and Kunis
  • simmersimmer Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it at the IMAX and thought it was excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kunis was the worst one - totally miscast. Did you believe she and Rachel Weisz were sisters?

Severely lacking the feeling of friendship and personal journey that the characters in Wizard of Oz had. Over-reliance on cgi characters, can't they get midgets to dress up like the old days?

This has Star Wars prequel type issues - no heart, all about the look and the 3D effect.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kunis was the worst one - totally miscast. Did you believe she and Rachel Weisz were sisters?

Even in the green make-up, Kunis is just too pretty to look scary. Margaret Hamilton had less beauty about her to start with, so when the witch prosthetics were added, she looked terrifying.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Severely lacking the feeling of friendship and personal journey that the characters in Wizard of Oz had. Over-reliance on cgi characters, can't they get midgets to dress up like the old days?

This has Star Wars prequel type issues - no heart, all about the look and the 3D effect.

Couldn't disagree more, Kunis was excellent, Weisz I wasn't to impressed with though.

This is one of the very very few movies that the 3d worked in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Saw it yesterday,can't put my finger on exactly why but I really didn't like it and won't watch it again but it could be because I was comparing it to The Wizard Of Oz : ) that being said I think the film was beautiful to look at.For me James Franco was badly miscast and I think his acting was very poor same goes for Mila Kunis,her acting wasn't bad but she just seemed too modern for Oz.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Peonie wrote: »
    Hello, has anyone seen the film yet? I know there have been some advance screenings. I have fear that the film makers will not live up to expectations.

Yep. It was good. Wasn't brilliant, though not a mess like Alice In Wonderland was. Probably 3 & a half stars.

However, whoever was doing the casting and thought that Meg Griffin could somehow outshine Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams is an idiot. Even though Weisz is just doing a rent-a-villain role most of her scenes are with Mila Kunis and she just completely wipes the floor with her. IMO Kunis really was not the best choice for a role as iconic as The Wicked Witch Of The West.

Quite surprised that i enjoyed the monkey & the doll as much as i did.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing visuals, a lot of potential, but completely fell flat.

Both Kunis and Franco were horribly miscast. I was cringing the whole way through Mila's scenes after her transformation. I actually think focus should have been put more onto the reltionship between the sisters as opposed to Oz himself. It should have been more of an ensemble cast. For such an iconic role, she was not great. I did think she was wondferful in the first half of the film, and my heart really went out to her.

Franco was horrible. Seemed to go from looking bored to being very panto. I did not like his interpretation.

Michelle got it just right, she had enough of the original in her to make it believable, but added a new spin to her.

Finley and Little China Girl were great I thought.
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I'm usually easily entertained, but God I didn't like this...! Yes, Mila Kunis was not good, I felt like she was just shouting for a lot of the film... And I really like James Franco, but he didn't fit. The humour didn't work for me, it just seemed like a kids film for something that could have appealed beyond.

I think my favourite scene was the opening in black and white. That I found quite funny and interesting. Once the colour kicks in, the CGI is just overwhelming and while impressive, it gave the film an artificial feel.

Sorry to be so scathing, I think I'd probably built this up for myself quite a bit, I loved Wizard of Oz and Wicked on stage too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I'm usually easily entertained, but God I didn't like this...! Yes, Mila Kunis was not good, I felt like she was just shouting for a lot of the film... And I really like James Franco, but he didn't fit. The humour didn't work for me, it just seemed like a kids film for something that could have appealed beyond.

I think my favourite scene was the opening in black and white. That I found quite funny and interesting. Once the colour kicks in, the CGI is just overwhelming and while impressive, it gave the film an artificial feel.

Sorry to be so scathing, I think I'd probably built this up for myself quite a bit, I loved Wizard of Oz and Wicked on stage too...

Wicked will get it right because it won't be so obsessed with Disney-ing everything up.
    That's the best thing this Oz will do - pave the way for Hollywood producers to pull their finger out and greenlight Wicked......fast!
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wicked will get it right because it won't be so obsessed with Disney-ing everything up.
    That's the best thing this Oz will do - pave the way for Hollywood producers to pull their finger out and greenlight Wicked......fast!

That's very true. I'm sure I read on DS there's going to be a Wicked film...?