Options

Man shoots himself over the legalising of gay marriage.

Comments

• Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God told him to kill himself.

Idiot.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone explain to him it was being made legal - not compulsory?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. As already said, suicide is a mortal sin. Not the best way to show you have deep religious beliefs. I can only think he may have been mentally ill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he think it was compulsory?

Edit: sorry Moony.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Right wing French historian Dominique venner kills himself. Rumour has it that the final straw was the legalising of same sex marriage in France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328502/Dominique-Venner-Right-wing-historian-shoots-Notre-Dame-cathedral-protest-gay-marriage.html

One raving nutter less to worry about :cool:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Always sad whenever a person feels the need to kill themselves, whatever the reason, but, having said that, I'm not at all keen on this whole "somebody killed themselves over X therefore X must be bad" idea that some people seem to have.

I mean, are we supposed to base our society on whatever ideals the most amount of people are willing to kill themselves over?
    That doesn't sound at all wise for a whole heap of reasons.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    He's an idiot. I'd say the whole point of a protest is that you're around to see whether it's worked or not. This is the most stupid and idiotic way of protesting ever!

More stupid than this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Always sad whenever a person feels the need to kill themselves, whatever the reason, but, having said that, I'm not at all keen on this whole "somebody killed themselves over X therefore X must be bad" idea that some people seem to have.

I mean, are we supposed to base our society on whatever ideals the most amount of people are willing to kill themselves over?
    That doesn't sound at all wise for a whole heap of reasons.

It doesn't quite like work like that on DS.

Nurse kills herself after radio station prank = DS consensus is nurse was unhinged.

Woman kills herself over bedroom tax = woman was not unhinged but was driven to it by the vile Tories.

Man kills himself over gay marriage laws = stupid man, glad he's dead, one less idiot etc.

It seems to very much depend on whether the deceased likely had the same point of view as the DS readership as to whether it's a shame that they're dead.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    Right wing French historian Dominique venner kills himself. Rumour has it that the final straw was the legalising of same sex marriage in France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328502/Dominique-Venner-Right-wing-historian-shoots-Notre-Dame-cathedral-protest-gay-marriage.html
    All I can say is it isn't the best protest if "rumour has it" is as concrete as it gets. Maybe he should have left a note or something. "It was all the gays' fault."
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nurse kills herself after radio station prank = DS consensus is nurse was unhinged.

Woman kills herself over bedroom tax = woman was not unhinged but was driven to it by the vile Tories.

Man kills himself over gay marriage laws = stupid man, glad he's dead, one less idiot etc.

It seems very much depend on whether the deceased likely had the same point of view as the DS readership as to whether it's a shame that they're dead.

Or....the Torys / benefit claiment / Muslims were involved. They are top blame trumps...
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Rumour, ie no evidence this "caused" the 78 year old ideologue to kill himself. Doing so in front of 100s of tourists at a national landmark is imo attention-seeking and strongly suggestive of an unbalanced state of mind.

At 78 he was quite likely simply tired of his existence, and decided to go out in a way that he felt gave him nobility.

i think i'd already got that from "ultra-right wing Catholic"
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

It seems very much depend on whether the deceased likely had the same point of view as the DS readership as to whether it's a shame that they're dead.

Yeah, I do my best to avoid inconsistencies like that.

*EDIT*
    Astute observation though, BTW. ;)
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep I think that about sums it up.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems to very much depend on whether the deceased likely had the same point of view as the DS readership as to whether it's a shame that they're dead.
    Maybe different DS members have different opinions on different stories? I don't see any reason to think it was the same people having all these opinions.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Maybe different DS members have different opinions on different stories? I don't see any reason to think it was the same people having all these opinions.

It's classic internet logic. When two or more threads have generally opposing views it doesn't mean there are a mixture of opinions, it means the forum is a hypocrite!
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Ah but it undermines the institution of marriage! The one that has a 50% failure rate.

He did the right thing.

LOL. That's the thing isn't it. All these people who say that allowing two men/women to marry will undermine the institution of marriage:confused: I'd say we have done that all on our own.
    Example Kim Kardashian was married for 72 days :eek: That's the real p!ss take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »

I was referring to the most common response in each case pickwick. True some felt sorry for the nurse and blamed the radio people. Generally though the common point of view was she was unhinged. The bedroom tax case brought out a lot of people taking the opposite point of view and generally it wasn't that the woman was unhinged but was the fault of the British government. In this case reading the thread it's clear the general consensus is good riddance.

I was not saying the same people had those set points of view. I was saying that from a general read of each thread the views I mentioned were the most common. Therefore I stand by what I said and it does depend on whether people sympathise with the deceased and their likely viewpoint as to whether it's a shame they killed themselves. I'm pretty sure there are a large number here who did hold those points of view. Maybe they're the vocal minority and posted most but that's what I read. You're of course welcome to search out the relevant threads and hold your own opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's classic internet logic. When two or more threads have generally opposing views it doesn't mean there are a mixture of opinions, it means the forum is a hypocrite!
    Bloody two-faced forums :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to the most common response in each case pickwick. True some felt sorry for the nurse and blamed the radio people. Generally though the common point of view was she was unhinged. The bedroom tax case brought out a lot of people taking the opposite point of view and generally it wasn't that the woman was unhinged but was the fault of the British government. In this case reading the thread it's clear the general consensus is good riddance.

I was not saying the same people had those set points of view. I was saying that from a general read of each thread the views I mentioned were the most common. Therefore I stand by what I said and it does depend on whether people sympathise with the deceased and their likely viewpoint as to whether it's a shame they killed themselves.
    Oh, I agree that it's fair to say the "forum consensus" about issues changes depending on the particular story and how it's presented. It just seemed like you were implying that that said something negative about the forum or the people on it, which it doesn't, I don't think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just in case you missed it I was referring to people on the forum and the seemingly general consensus and not the forum itself.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this changed everything!

Ban marriage equality! Think of the elderly mentally unstable French historians!
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a guy opposed to gay marriage takes a gun and blows a load off in his mouth? Isn't that a bit like a Suffragette sticking her head in the oven? :confused:
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,431
    Forum Member
    Good riddance.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a guy opposed to gay marriage takes a gun and blows a load off in his mouth? Isn't that a bit like a Suffragette sticking her head in the oven? :confused:

Can you really say that in a DS gay thread :D
    Rip crazy man and sympathy all those who got a gross view of it too, bleugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing but admiration for this man, I can't wait for some right thinkers here to heed and follow his cause and blow their brains out at their local cathedral.

(fyi there are 120 cathedrals in the uk )