Lesser spotted Motorcycle combination

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
When was the last time you saw a Motorcycle and Sidecar on the road?

I'm guessing I must have seen one, which brought the subject to mind.

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday actually - two of them, separately! An old airhead BMW and Watsonian-Squire, and a 350 Jawa twin and full-enclosure Velorex chair.

But no, nowhere near as common as years gone by...there aren't the insurance breaks for them there used to be ;) TRIKES are far more common now...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The king of the road sees all!
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was out for a run on my Velorex/Honda combi just today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (I've actually been thinking about a chair meself, to bolt onto my old GPZ550...either that or the sawzall comes out to play!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (I've actually been thinking about a chiar meself, to bolt onto my old GPZ550...either that or the sawzall comes out to play!)

The KWAK might be a tad peaky for a chair
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw one last week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The KWAK might be a tad peaky for a chair

Not mine - it's got a GT550 five-speed cluster in it ;) Didn't like the six-speed's ratios...and had several dead GTs about at the time...

If you swap over the selector drum and forks as well, it's one of those sneaky straight in-out swaps the manuals and mechanics don't tell you about ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not mine - it's got a GT550 five-speed cluster in it ;) Didn't like the six-speed's ratios...and had several dead GTs about at the time...

Best tugs I have used were the old 350 Jawa 2 stroke, the VT500e and my current ntv 650 mainly for the shaft drive, Jap bikes all have the final drive chain on the wrong side for sidecars in the U.K.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something really cool about the enclosed sidecars in particular, although I couldn't explain why if I had to.
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw one last Saturday - I haven't seen one for years!!

It was at the roundabout by Rochester Airport in case it was any of you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    There's something really cool about the enclosed sidecars in particular, although I couldn't explain why if I had to.

My enclosed Hi-back Velorex chair is an excellent light weight chair with its own brake, the seat back and base can be changed into a bed for overnight use so no need to carry a tent plus it has a roll bar for safety, it is also heated via a rerouted exhaust system, has its own stereo, internal lighting, 12 volt and 240 volt (150 watt) power outlets.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yesterday actually - two of them, separately! An old airhead BMW and Watsonian-Squire, and a 350 Jawa twin and full-enclosure Velorex chair.

But no, nowhere near as common as years gone by...there aren't the insurance breaks for them there used to be ;) TRIKES are far more common now...

Squire, that name did come to mind, I was going to hunt about to see if they were still a going concern.
    There was going to be a supplementary question, if anyone had seen any modern kit with sidecar.
    Surprised I got a response at all, to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Followed a guy on a bike in my car months ago. Every time he stopped at traffic lights he toppled over. After the fourth fall I got out and asked if he was Ok. He replied "Yeah, I only took off my side car yesterday and am still getting used to it" :D

PS agree with earlier poster.......
    GPZ not suited for a side car. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    About weeks ago. We had one, think the bike was a bsa at the time. Hubby went through so many bikes its hard to remember. He thought I should sit in it when heavily pregnant. No bloody chance. Preferred the back of the bike, even in the winter months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    In the '80s on a biking/camping tour. Some Angels turned up at a camp site in Paignton. One of them had a Harley withh a coffin shaped side car. :cool:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The last time Two Fat Ladies were on the telly
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Bigshorts wrote: »
    One of them had a Harley withh a coffin shaped side car.
    One way to make that final journey

http://www.waltersfunerals.co.uk/images/Motorcycle-Hearse.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squire, that name did come to mind, I was going to hunt about to see if they were still a going concern.
    There was going to be a supplementary question, if anyone had seen any modern kit with sidecar.

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/ ;)
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a dog in one last year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised I got a response at all, to be honest.

You can still buy Jawa outfits including a model with a tradesmans box, Neval and Ural Russian manufacturers also sell complete outfits, some with 2 wheel drive and a reverse gear though they are traditional machines based on WW2 designs but very durable and easy to work on.

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/ural_compare.html
    Forum Member

Oh, I did go for a looksee as I was typing the post.
    Nice picture of the trailer combo and getting the knees down.
    Now I think about it, I've seen a tow bar, but no Bike with trailer in real life that I can remember.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    My enclosed Hi-back Velorex chair is an excellent light weight chair with its own brake, the seat back and base can be changed into a bed for overnight use so no need to carry a tent plus it has a roll bar for safety, it is also heated via a rerouted exhaust system, has its own stereo, internal lighting, 12 volt and 240 volt (150 watt) power outlets.

Sounds awesome :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I think about it, I've seen a tow bar, but no Bike with trailer in real life that I can remember.

Quite common on the back of older Gold Wings and Aspencades still...but it's rare nowadays to see them on the back of anything else.

And on trikes, of course!
    Forum Member
    Quite common on the back of older Gold Wings and Aspencades still...but it's rare nowadays to see them on the back of anything else.

And on trikes, of course!

It was probably a 'wing I saw it on.
    Saw a Triked up 'wing Sunday parked outside the pub with another 'wing.
    Random aside, you've sent me off googling again, did the Kawasaki Voyager make it to the UK, I don't remember it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't ever remember seeing one in any showroom, or on the road, actually! I'd say if they did -only as private or grey imports.