Options

do i change to tivo

13»

Comments

• Options
    ZiQiZiQi Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Why does this upset you so much? Is it that much of a hardship to delete a recording?

Yes, because why should I have to, they should implement features properly.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    I JUST WANT THE ONES AT 11PM !!
    THEN DO A MANUAL RECORDING!!!

Seriously, I know some programmes have data issues. Keep reporting them to TivoGuideErrorsATvirginmediaDOTcoDOTuk.
    It also records about 8 showings of the same program of "Click" at the weekend.
    Again, a manual recording set to 'keep at most 1' will sort it. or set a SL for the BBC1 showings or Tuesday's BBC2 showing.

No-one ever said Tivo was perfect :)
    if i have a day where i have multiple recording clashes and want to series link something on a different day, I can't just do that - i have to set the series link and fanny around with the recording priority to try and get it to point to the day i want.
    Technology isn't perfect.
    With Sky, if i wanted to series link something at 8pm on a Tuesday, i'd series link it at 8pm on a tuesday.
    That's because Sky+ is just a dumb DVR; and I'm sure it's not perfect either ;)
    ZiQi wrote: »
    How it currently is, is pathetic, they need to fix it.
    They can't fix it. Tivo was never designed to have such a function, so they've just done what they can for the small vocal minority that want the function.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Seriously, I know some programmes have data issues. Keep reporting them to TivoGuideErrorsATvirginmediaDOTcoDOTuk.

Again, a manual recording set to 'keep at most 1' will sort it. or set a SL for the BBC1 showings or Tuesday's BBC2 showing.

No-one ever said Tivo was perfect :)

Technology isn't perfect.

They can't fix it. Tivo was never designed to have such a function, so they've just done what they can for the small vocal minority that want the function.

For a dumb PVR the Sky+ boxes work loads better than the Tivo.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a dumb PVR the Sky+ boxes work loads better than the Tivo.

...then dump the TiVo and use the Sky box!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    ...then dump the TiVo and use the Sky box!

Don't want to at the moment, because I've got another retention deal, so paying less than half the usual price.

Was with Sky from day one, only left them when they finally removed my discount after all the years and Telewest had a decent offer, then since that I've had various discounts.

If the discounts stop, I'l wait until Sky offers a decent discount and if that don't last, I'll go back to Virgin if they offer a decent discount. If neither do, then I'll go without as neither are worth the full asking price.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should I manually record something on a box that claims to be able to learn what I watch?. Surely the whole point of a DVR is to be able to series link something and let the software do the rest?
    Seriously, I know some programmes have data issues. Keep reporting them to TivoGuideErrorsATvirginmediaDOTcoDOTuk

Wasn't actually aware of that, thanks.
    Technology isn't perfect

It's not, but it doesn't have to take the approach of using a tank to squash a fly.

That "dumb DVR" box does a lot of things a hell of a lot simpler than TiVo and is a lot quicker to do them as well. I never had to spend time checking to see if all my series linked programs were set and going to record. And if I wanted to check, I pressed the 'TV Guide' button, green button for planner and there they were.

For TiVo, I have to press "Home", wait a second or two, then select "My Programs" - another second - and then "Upcoming Programs" (or whatever it's called), followed by another second and then there it is.

The EPG is far more intuitive as well. Pressing the blue button and selecting which genre of programming you want works, obviously, but just moving left and right with the Sky remote works much better - IMO, obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why should I manually record something on a box that claims to be able to learn what I watch?. Surely the whole point of a DVR is to be able to series link something and let the software do the rest?

It's not, but it doesn't have to take the approach of using a tank to squash a fly.

That "dumb DVR" box does a lot of things a hell of a lot simpler than TiVo and is a lot quicker to do them as well. I never had to spend time checking to see if all my series linked programs were set and going to record. And if I wanted to check, I pressed the 'TV Guide' button, green button for planner and there they were.

For TiVo, I have to press "Home", wait a second or two, then select "My Programs" - another second - and then "Upcoming Programs" (or whatever it's called), followed by another second and then there it is.

The EPG is far more intuitive as well. Pressing the blue button and selecting which genre of programming you want works, obviously, but just moving left and right with the Sky remote works much better - IMO, obviously.

Spot on!
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    or just press Home then 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    or just press Home then 2

ok, i'll give you that - I didn't know that ..

i still don't like it though ;)
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    the problem is many seem to think the sky box is the standard. and everything should match it.

You have to remember the TiVo is a much smarter box, unlike basic software. the TiVo uses an embedded linux. Sort of PC in a box like thing.

yes it does fail on some things but it's been spot on for me. seriously, the menu's aren't that slow. I think they work just fine.

I find the sky box more difficult to use, having to navigate all around one screen. Least Tivo has a main menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the sky box more difficult to use, having to navigate all around one screen. Least Tivo has a main menu.

and i'm the opposite. i find the sky layout a lot simpler to use.

i think part of the problem with me is that i don't need all the extra bells and whistles - i don't want to fart around with recording priorities, overlap protection and stuff like that.

I just want to set something to record and it records - on an accurate EPG that takes into account last minute changes or doesn't mislabel programs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i forgot something else that bugs me. I can use the blue button to change the channel type - HD, entertainment, sports e.t.c.. to look for something specific. if i then want to enter a specific channel number to jump to that channel, in this case 342 for Kerrang, it doesn't find it because the whole guide is set to whatever I chose (HD usually).

Another thing that never happens on a Sky box ..
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Because no technology is perfect.

Personally, I haven't had any major guide data issues for ages.

That "dumb DVR" box does a lot of things a hell of a lot simpler than TiVo and is a lot quicker to do them as well.
    And it does a lot a lot worse; or not at all.
    I never had to spend time checking to see if all my series linked programs were set and going to record.
    I don't.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Yes, because why should I have to, they should implement features properly.

My God, wish my life was as fraught with stress as yours.