Options

Convinced my SSD is slowing down my system!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Rebooted, cleaned up a bit. Now getting better write speeds and overall 179.

Actually, this utility seems a bit hit and miss, as this time I got a write access time of 0.273 ms, whereas the previous run (no. 2) showed 1.078 ms. There seems to be too much divergence for the test to be reproducible.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's happening. Your write speeds seem low which are hitting the overall score.

I find the benchmark to be reasonable in that I tend to get close to the same results. I only ever used it about 5 times in sequence though before I got bored.

The bench crops up in a lot of SSD reviews you read.

I found this (not sure if its the exact same SSD but is what came up after searching Verbatim SSD 128gb)

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/verbatim-sata-ii-128gb/9/

Have you got latest firmware on the SSD and latest BIOS on motherboard? You could try the Intel controller. A lot of reviews and stuff I read, some people suggest better results with Intel vs MS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just run it again on my main system (Crucial M4, SATA III, Windows 8).

Comparing it to my last recorded scores (18th June) there is a negligible difference.

The access times were actually the closest results on mine.

0.083 read 0.201 write (18th June)

0.083 read 0.204 (5 minutes ago).
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the third one which I didn't upload before.

I haven't updated the firmware on the SSD (not sure how to go about that anyway, and could be a bit risky), or the motherboard. I'll probably leave things alone now and not risk breaking everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't worry too much about the benchmarks (fun to use and to make sure nothing drastic is untoward).

If you're happy with the current speed then all is good.

I've found even with my lowest rated SSD. Performance is worth me having a SSD as a boot drive in all my machines.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Write speed would suffer if the drive hadn't been kept trimmed.

This may clear up as the drive is used in the correct config.